Lowering Specifics...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROBN4LIF
    replied
    this will be my next project, once i start riding that is.

Leave a comment:

• ThAzKat
    replied
    Originally posted by XFastStevwoX
    So lets say "hypothetically" that I was going to drop it 4 inches which probably wont happen becuase I think I might weigh too much for that, but if I did, would I be able to drop the front enough to match? Im still not really understanding how to drop the front?
    it can be done but of course anything can be done. LOL it all depends on money, time and loss of riding time for the project.

Leave a comment:

• XFastStevwoX
    replied
    So lets say "hypothetically" that I was going to drop it 4 inches which probably wont happen becuase I think I might weigh too much for that, but if I did, would I be able to drop the front enough to match? Im still not really understanding how to drop the front?

Leave a comment:

• chriskatana
    replied
    Originally posted by bigtwan251975
    ok how bout for -98
    for -98 the process is the same, but you have to swap to a 98+ swingarm, suspension. and rear branke setup Kidding.. well, not really...

the process IS really the same it's just that the lowing links are a lot more complicated. if you can get someone to cut and extend your existing links, or fab some longer links from scratch. the major problem with the 98 bikes is the links are 3-D vs the 98+ which are flat stamped steel

Leave a comment:

• panisse
    replied
    I'm in the process of lowering mine... I ordered my links in JC Whitney for about 70 bucks. Pretty cheap!!!

Leave a comment:

• bigtwan251975
    replied
    ok how bout for -98

Leave a comment:

• chriskatana
    replied
    To lower the rear, all you need are the dogbones:
    They should be 8" center to centter on the bolt holes this will give you 2" drop in the rear

They can be bought on ebay, the normal seller I point people to has none listed now. There's a seller making them for other bikes that I'm sure would make them for Katana if you asked.
    promachining

As for installation:

The front is a little more tricky, you'll want to put the bike on the center stand, and then ,loosen the top and bottom triple clamp on one side, the pushe the fork tube up throught the clamps, it helps if you twist it a bit. About 1" is as far as I would go, since any lower and you risk smashing your headlight into the front fender under hard braking. Tighten up the first side and repeat on the other side, be very carful to lower equally on both sides.

As for the side stand, yes it will be too long, I cut mine on a band saw, and welded it back together, took about 1" out.

Then you can remove the center stand, because after it is lowered, you'll never get it back on the center stand again.

And most of all, be carefull you're screwing with engineering that suzuki has thought long and hard about. I'm sure they know a thing or two more about the geometries and handling of motorcycles than we do!

enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• XFastStevwoX
    started a topic Lowering Specifics...

Lowering Specifics...

Ive read probably every thread on this website about lowering. Most of them are people who want to lower their bikes because of standing issues. I would love to sit my bike as close to the ground as possible, only for the reason that I love the way it looks. Ive read a lot of helpful info on here, but there are still some questions I have

1. Where do I get the dogbones from, (what size), and what is involved in installing them?

2. Are dogbones the only thing I need for lowering the rear?

3. What all is involved in lowering the front to match the back?

4. What would I do about the kickstand, wouldnt it be too long?

Thanks for the help..
Working...
X