X

Best way to stop brake squeals?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to stop brake squeals?

My front and rear brakes have developed nasty squeals.

The front squeals and groans only on hard stops & in the last metre or two of travel - I believe that the pads have glazed.
    The rear gives a far lighter, high pitch squeal during gentle, constant braking at low speeds.
    I intend to pull both apart, rough up the pads and discs, apply a spray on cleaner to the discs & callipers, apply a spray on "stop squeaks" type compound to the back of the pads and reassemble.

Anyone have thoughts, advice or general tips to offer?
    Do you think the above should stop the problem?
    I'm not really sure what grade of paper I should be using on the discs... never had to resort to that before. I'm also not sure if there's anything else I should do while I've got them apart.
    The pads have good life still in them, but while we're at it, what brand/type of pads do you recommend? It seems that EBC are popular...
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

useually i just put gel on the outer part of the pad when i do break jobs on cars and that useually works or you might have a rock or some sand stuck in between the pad and the rotor

Comment

You may want to read this thread:

Usually brake squeel is caused either by the pads' backing plates vibrating on the carrier pins (common) and a bit of scotchbrite will clean up the issue, OR the caliper pistons are dirty and aren't coming out straight (caliper cleaning / rebuild with new seals),
      OR the pad backing plates aren't straight compared to the front of the pads (comes from a sticking caliper piston -- clean & rebuild).

As for removing glaze - 800 grit emory cloth.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys - and the thread link. I had searched but missed that one.....
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
        -Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X