Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How I bled air out of rebuilt calipers with speedbleeders installed . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I bled air out of rebuilt calipers with speedbleeders installed . . .

Ok, I think this deserves a new thread for search friendliness in the future.

First thing has already been discussed. Attach an oral syringe to speedbleed line and create vacuum until fluid begins to come out of the system. You may have to empty the air out of the oral syringe one time, though you will not be able to see with your eyes what is vacuum and what is air.

After pressure exceeds what is needed to activate speed bleed valves, bleed a 1/4 of a brake fluid bottle through the left caliper and another 1/4 through the right until air bubbles are no longer seen. Make sure the brake lever is on setting number 1 for this activity. If the cover is off of the brake fluid reservoir while completing this activity, make sure you only squeeze the brake lever slowly so you don't suck through the fluid and get to the air on the other side of it. When air bubbles are no longer seen, you can bleed every day for a week to no effect, trust me I've done it.

Final step, (make sure you only do this with brand new pistons, otherwise you'll get a lot of crud in your brake fluid and break your brakes) reverse bleed the brake system by pushing the pistons back into the caliper with the brake pads. You may have to give the air time to settle near the top of the lines before you do this (i.e. wait a few hours after conventional bleeding). You can grab the end of the brake pad at the bottom or use a flat tip screwdriver and just pry that pad back toward the caliper. Make sure the brake fluid cover is off when this is done. Ater you do this, it will take 3 or 4 slow and effortless pulls of the brake lever to regain pressure in the system by putting the pad back against the rotor. After this is done, the brakes will be fully bled in my experience.

If I had followed these steps when I first attempted to bleed the system with my new stainless lines, rebuilt calipers, and speedbleeders, I'm confident I could have fully bled the entire system in 30 minutes. Through my trial and error process it took about . . . 7 days. Hehe Mainly because I couldn't get the last bit of air out of the system that only pushing back the pads eliminated.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Dago; 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM.
Working...
X