X

Rotor Grind-Front Caliper

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotor Grind-Front Caliper

So my caliper is grinding into my rotor and i don't know why. I had what seemed to be a reputable shop (Aurora-Suzuki Seattle... Booooo) change my tires (Strada's), sprockets (Stock) and chain (stock) but with only one side effect, my caliper is grinding into my rotor. As you can see from the caliper pic it's the two metal tabs that slide along the guide. My pads are around 50-60%. I am a self declared noob with bike mechanics.

Any thought? I have a strange feeling it's something real simple and i'm just not seeing it.

99' 750 kat.
    Attached Files

Sounds like the wheel is on backwards or the spacers are in on the wrong side or something along those lines Post up a pic of the wheel on the bike.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

This is a pic where they forgot to put the cotter pin back in which happens to be the same side as the caliper issue.
      Attached Files

Comment

Couple more pics.
        Attached Files

Comment

DOH, that looks terrible. A new rotor is gonna cost ya.
          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

don't i know it!! Aurora-Suzuki- Seattle. No good, no good!
            Spreading the good shop love.

Comment

Rotor will probably come back, but I have to say, it won't cost rycell35 anything if it doesn't. I'm sure that said shop will be happy to replace rotor... After enough yelling and screaming on the sales floor, on a nice crowded Saturday...

Everything else looks right from what I can see, other than the fact that they shorted you a valve cap (you definitely want those installed) and put the axle in from the wrong side.

I really think your best course of action is to take it back and let them fix it. With a return trip, they will probably actually put a tech on it instead of one of the trained tire changing monkeys. (No offense intended to any who may do that for a living, but every shop I have ever been to, tires have been the designated job of the mouth breathers.)
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

why do you think he needs a new rotor? Did your eyes magically mic the rotor? I'd say in my professional opinion, nothing looks wrong with that rotor.
                Last edited by arsenic; 08-09-2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

They were very receptive to my concern of their fine craftsmenship.
                  AKA - "my issue".
                  So it is, live an learn. My last thought is possibly the rotor is bent just the slightest bit. From just eying it, nothing seem to out.

I didn't know you could put a front tire on backwards?

Comment

yes you can, there are rotation arrows on both the rim and the tire. He's not talking about the tire, he's talking about the axle.

Comment

Not sure if this relates to the Kats, but if buddy had at all frigged with your caliper, they may need to adjust the caliper clearance once put back...perhaps it applies to wheel removal as well. I say this as I experienced the problem with a CB900. I did not remove the wheel, but rebuilt the calipers, Once put back, I noticed one side (caliper body) was VERY close to disc. There was a raised area on the inside of the caliper body that was a CH from the disk. After reading up on it in the shop manual, sure enough, I had to make a minor adjustment at the axle (which I never touched to take the caliper off). The raised area was a reference spot for a feeler guage betweel the disc and caliper and naturally the minimum distance had to be respected.

I'd imagine they'd be pretty similar with axles and pinch bolts 'n all.

If this is the case....it's their fault.
                      2004 GSX750F

Comment

Hmmm, I wouldn't think bent rotor unless the grinding was uneven and intermittant. I'm going to say the spacers are fugged up and the wheel is too far to one side. Hows' the back of the rotor on the other side?
                        After looking at the pics some more, it's either the pic or me or your pinch bolt isn't tight which leads me to think (along with missing cotter pin) they didn't torque the axle nut either!
                        Last edited by Astro4x4; 08-09-2008, 11:29 PM.
                        2000 Katana 600
                        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Sorry, didn't think of it earlier, we have sliding calipers, and your's aren't sliding. They should slide in and out of the brackets with a little resistance.

Just start riding her again after sitting for a while? Sitting out in the weather? They still should have noticed when rolling the bike out of the shop.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet

Comment

Thanks for everyones feedback!!
                            Does it look like i am missing a spacer??
                            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry thetable i just read your responce.
                              I have been riding her all summer. She was in bad shape when i purchased her. I have been updating as i go.

Astro4x4 (or anyone that can help) above is a pic that shows where it spacers should. The back of the rotor is good, no damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X