X

Progressive Fork Springs A Must!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Fork Springs A Must!

A few weeks back I did the front fork mod where you replace part # 22 for one an inch longer, and changed the fork oil along with it using 10W.

I could not get used to the front end being a little to light, when braking hard there was very little dive and when cornering the bike had a tendency to stand up a lot quicker out of the corner but did not feel confident in the corner after fighting the bike into it. It was good for two up riding as my passenger did not have the problem of being re-seated every time I braked. I put up with this for a week thinking to myself that I just had to get use to it and that it was going to take a while.

Then I had enough of not having full control through the corners and constantly fighting the bike. So I splashed out on some Hagon progressive fork springs and new oil this time 15W. Well what can I say; a little annoyed that I did not do this from the starts and that you should never cut corners with some mods especially when it comes to the handling. The bike is now so smooth, confident and quick through the corners that at times I think I’m riding on a silk cloud. There is a lot less dive compared to the stock springs and almost no road surface vibrations coming up through the forks. The Pre-Load adjusters now actually work the way they should.

Having the correct suspension setup on your bike makes all the difference. This is one area I will not be doing in half measures no matter what bike I get next.

Tok

My spring change also made a nice difference. When your ready for the next big fork change install a pair of cartridge emulators. My Kat felt much more "planted" in corners while at the same time compliant on bumpy roads.

Comment

Where did you get your springs and what are cartrige emulimitors ?

Comment

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about doing the spring mod.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

the cartridge emulators are RaceTech Gold Valve Emulators. For a Katana they are FEGV S4101 $169.99.
          http://www.racetech.com/evalving/eng...ngname=english
          I do have them, I did buy them from GregS
          Last edited by arsenic; 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Look at RaceTech suspension for the emulators if you live in the US or Canada. If your in Australia there is a company that I don't remember the name of that does a version of the same thing.
            The explanation of what they do is on their web page and much better than what I could tell you.

Found that Australia website. It's :
            Last edited by GregS; 07-30-2008, 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
            X