X

ZX7 Shock Swap Details

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZX7 Shock Swap Details

Shock is from a 93-95 Kawasaki ZX7 (The ZX7R would be similar, but with a remote reservoir)

Firstly, I do not recommend going this route. It seems to me that there are many better ways to upgrade the shock than this one. I decided on this shock because
    A- It looked like it would work (mounts looked similar) and
    B- It had roughly the spring rate I wanted (8.7 kg/mm) stock, and was reputed to be stiff-valved

On to the installation.
    When you are preparing to install it, the first issue you will notice is that the mounting bolds for the ZX7 shock are M12, while the Kat is M10. To fix this involves hunting down some proper bushings, and pressing them into the mounts of the shock. I could only find standard (inch) sized bushings, so I had to find a set that was close, and bore them out until they were correct.

The next issue you will run into is...... this b****rd is LOOOONG! The shock is way too long. As a matter of fact, the only way to get it to bolt in, is to unscrew the preload completely, and compress the shock (it won't stay compressed on it's own, you have to hold it) while you slip the bolts in. Once they are in, you can dial in the preload again..... but wait! Another issue.....

The reason for all that trouble, is that because of the immense length of the shock, it contacts the shock knuckle at full extension. Let me rephrase that.... the shock can never get to full extension, because it hits the knuckle before then. Did I mention that this shock is long? I still haven't corrected this situation. I would imagine the options are 1- get a different shock, 2- change the knuckle, 3- weld on a new, taller upper mount.

Now for the good parts...... I haven't ridden it (for obvious reasons, it doesn't run), but the spring rate seems like a huge improvement. And the damping...... it's wonderful. The adjustment knob on the bottom really makes a difference that you can feel. The shock is also completely rebuildable, so if you want to revalve, or add a goldvalve from race tech, or up the nitrogen pressure...... you can. But then, an early 90's GSXR1100 shock will give you all the same benefits (with just a slightly lower spring rate) but without the installation hassles.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.
Working...
X