X

Do I need new brake pads? (big pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need new brake pads? (big pics)

So the story is that my mechanic rebuilt my rear caliper. I am not 100% sure but I think he said that he also replaced my pads.

Anyways, lately when riding when I apply the rear brake it makes a screetching noise. I'm not sure if its that I've reached the end of my pads or its something else.

Any help would be much appreciated:

Pics of rear pads:

Is the rotor scarred? From what I can see it looks like there is plenty of pad left. If those are new pads give them some time. They might need to break in.

Comment

Nope

Looks pretty smooth to me

Comment

Does look ok. I say let them break in, but thats just my opinion.

Comment

Did you do some hard breaking right after the pads were installed? Glazed possibly?

Anyways, first I would just pick up some brake cleaner and spray the rotor and caliper down...maybe there's just some gunk in the way.

Comment

Re: Do I need new brake pads? (big pics)

Looking at the above picture, I can tell you that the pad squeel is almost guaranteedly from the carrier bolts the pad backing rides against. Cleaning those pins with some scotchbrite and then placing a very tiny amount of a heat-rated lubricant (moly or copper-paste) on them should cure the problem right up unless the pad backing plate is warped or the caliper pistons aren't coming out straight.

PS - those pads look fine and have most of their lifespan still ahead of them.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Oh, one other note...

The pads are not the OEM pads. Looking down at the OEM pads, you would see a groove cut into the center of each one. They also don't appear to be EBC pads (as they have a copper backing plate, not steel). Different pads react differently (because of minor changes in pad compounds), and you may find this particular brand squeels more than another type... I know the EBC HH rear pads tend to squeel more readily than the OEM pads by far and the front EBC HH pads tend to make a locust sound (or eggs sizzling on a griddle noise) when activated. It's just the nature of the beast.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X