X

So this is weird...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this is weird...

on the rc51.... i'm running some michelin sportechs. they were on there when i bought it. well...today i was looking closely, and the arrows on the front tire were pointing the wrong direction. however, the trend pattern is the same on front and rear, so i compared it to the rear, and its the same. has anyone else ran into this kinda thing before? am i just going nuts?

also.... a little off the topic...

how labor intensive is it to replace fork seals? thazkat...you might be helping me wiht this when you get back.
    if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Thats crazy!!! So did they just put the tire on backwards, or install the rim worng or what????
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

dude, i dont know what they did. it rides just fine. i haven't riden in the wet or anything (nor do i plan to). but it looks like everything is fine except for the arrows.

Comment

the tires will be fine until you try and ride in the rain

I would be happy too Bro
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

wow, tires mounted incorrectly? Those darn dealer mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
            wow, tires mounted incorrectly? Those darn dealer mechanics.
            Most Dealerships have the new tech do tires, so it isn't unheard of. I would definitely let the Dealership know and see if they can correct the problem.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

I know Thaz, I'm the new tech.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                I know Thaz, I'm the new tech.
                Make sure you put those tires on the right direction, it can be costly. Just kidding Bro!!

It is funny how many guys come out of MMI and don't know how to mount a tire properly.
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                Who knows what is next?

Comment

I'll do my best, but I'm not making any promises. J/K if I had a dollar for every auto tire I've mounted and balanced, I'd be a millionaire. I think car tires are easier to screw up, cause sometimes you don't even notice they're directional. Bike tires I always look for the arrow right away.

Comment

Im not saying that this kind of incident isnt somewhat commonplace..however, one would think that whether it was a new tech mounting the tires or a seasoned mechanic, that this would have been caught before it left the shop.

Comment

Well, I've only been at the dealer for a few days, but I'll tell you what, the mom and pop auto service shop I worked at before was a lot pickyer than the dealer. To be honest, I wouldn't take my bike to the place I work, but I'm there now so it's gonna get better.

Comment

Arsenic, you know me and I was joking, I did auto tires for 12 years, sick of it and auto mechanics too. So I know where you are coming from there. My specialty in automotive is Brakes and brake systems.

Matt, you are correct and it does happen more often in larger shops. I could name a few right here. I take my stuff to a small shop because they take the time and care about their customers more. I take all tires to them because I don't have the room for machines and I will be damned if I do another freakin tire by hand

A tire mounted backward on a bike can be a serve problem if it doesn't get noticed. Just think of a rainy day and where the water is supposed to go. hmm.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        Who knows what is next?

Comment

Re: So this is weird...

Originally posted by soccersteve
                          how labor intensive is it to replace fork seals? thazkat...you might be helping me wiht this when you get back.
                          When I replaced mine, most of the labor were associated with getting the forks off/on. But then the 88 Kat forks are the simplest you can find, does your rc51 have something really fancy? You might want to check with someone that has a service manual for it... (or even better get one yourself)
                          - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Re: So this is weird...

Originally posted by Yellow
                            Originally posted by soccersteve
                            When I replaced mine, most of the labor were associated with getting the forks off/on. But then the 88 Kat forks are the simplest you can find, does your rc51 have something really fancy? You might want to check with someone that has a service manual for it... (or even better get one yourself)
                            unfortunately, yes. i have the inverted showa forks. i don't know how much different that would be to do than regular/normal forks. never done it, so i have no idea. but i think i'll be having some help with this project.

Comment

Get the tire fixed. Tires aren't something to mess around with. Make sure they are working the way they were designed to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X