X

Loobman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loobman

Getting my Kat ready for some touring in Europe this summer. Yesterday I installed a Loobman, a manually operated (by squeezing a bottle) chain oiler that is quite cheap. The install was very straightforward (good instructions), and it seems to work well - I'll just need to play around with the hose routing/fasteners.

I'll shoot some pics to show the install when I get my hands on a digital camera... In a few words: I attached the squeeze-bottle to the front brake hose/banjo bolt and the delivery system to the lower side of the swing arm (only place with reasonable clearance), routing the hose along the left side (on top of the clutch cable) and coming out of the frame at the steering stem along the throttle cable. It's easily accessible that way (I can squeeze whiling riding), doesn't block the steering in any way and is quite stealth looking (looks like an extra brake master cylinder or something).

Thumbs up for those that (like me) don't want to spend the big bucks on a Scottoiler or Pro-oiler...
    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

What about oil fling? Will it be a mess?

Comment

That depends how much you squeeze, and of the oil you use. I'll give some updates when I've been riding more with it.

My only issue so far is that I get a small puddle under the chain when parked - but thats due to some kinks in the hose which retard the flow... so that some of the oil first come out after several hours. If you place the bottle closer to the delivery system (besides the carbs, for example) that should be less of a problem. I prefer accessibilty for the moment though, and it's not really a problem on longer trips.

My next "touring mod" is to mount the Givi hard luggage racks I bought used. The guy lost some of the mounting hardware though, so I'm going hunting some bolts and spacers on tuesday.
      - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Keep us posted Samuel. I might look into getting a chain luber like that if it works out good for you. All I do now is the Castrol chain wax every week.

Comment

I will. Since I don't have a centerstand, and have my race stand where I wrench on the bike, regular chain lubing is a pain... And given the amount of rain we get here the chain is rusting fast if left dry. That, and the longer trips I'm planning, are the main reasons of getting it.
          - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

If you need the bolt sizes for the Givi racks, let me know... I have them on mine... the install instructions have them too... just be sure you have the round rod that connects the left and right rack through the original blinker-mounting holes (that he didn't misplace that) or the system won't want to be stable enough at speed.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Very interesting, I'll be curious as to how you find it.
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                If you need the bolt sizes for the Givi racks, let me know... I have them on mine... the install instructions have them too... just be sure you have the round rod that connects the left and right rack through the original blinker-mounting holes (that he didn't misplace that) or the system won't want to be stable enough at speed.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Thanks, but it seems the rack itself is not original Givi - just the bags . Guess that's what you get when you buy used stuff on eBay... The build quality seems quite good however. These racks have some kind of bent plate (don't know how to describe it correctly in english) that connects the left and right rack at the back, and maybe connects to the shovel as well. I don't have the shovel, so I'm thinking about getting a straight rod instead (would probably be sturdier anyway). What I need to get is some longer bolts and spacers to fit the racks in the grab bar mounts without cracking the plastics... How does the original racks mount there (might be different on pre/post-98, though)?
                - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

That is a interesting Idea and I am looking forward to a review.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
                    Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Thanks, but it seems the rack itself is not original Givi - just the bags . Guess that's what you get when you buy used stuff on eBay... The build quality seems quite good however. These racks have some kind of bent plate (don't know how to describe it correctly in english) that connects the left and right rack at the back, and maybe connects to the shovel as well. I don't have the shovel, so I'm thinking about getting a straight rod instead (would probably be sturdier anyway). What I need to get is some longer bolts and spacers to fit the racks in the grab bar mounts without cracking the plastics... How does the original racks mount there (might be different on pre/post-98, though)?
                    Sounds like you have the other racks (Givi makes 2 types -- ones that are tubular metal, which is what I have, just for side-mount bags, and a second type that are plastic & metal designed to including a top-mount for a third box).

The ones at the grab bar replace the grab bar altogether (it doesn't remain), and go like this:
                    Bolt
                    1.5mm Washer
                    4 or 5mm spacer (think thick washer, same size as washer above)
                    Rack
                    long, narrow spacer (8mm?)
                    Katana frame

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

wow, pretty ingenious!!! nice job ! lookin forward to the pics.

Comment

Some pics (I'll shoot some better ones soon) :

Squeeze bottle:

Sprocket delivery:

I've been using it for about 1k miles now, and quite happy with it after some rerouting of the hose. The mounting of the delivery system seems to work really well, it hasn't moved a mm since it was mounted.
                        I've realised that about one squeeze per two hours of riding is fine to keep the chain well lubed and to avoid excessive fling-off. The oil seems to be reaching most of the chain, and definately the o-rings... It does often leave a small patch of oil when parked for a while, however, I could probably use less oil...
                        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

nice setup, Is there another place to put the bottle? It seems to me that it might be in the way where you have it, I could be wrong though.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            nice setup, Is there another place to put the bottle? It seems to me that it might be in the way where you have it, I could be wrong though.
                            No, it's not in the way; I can freely turn the bars the whole way (the steering was all the way to the left when that photo was taken)...
                            You can put the bottle wherever you want - but in fact that was the best position I found, for these reasons:

1) It's not obstructing the steering in any way
                            2) It's safely accessible with the left hand while cruising on the highway (I don't need to shift body position) or at a standstill
                            3) Hose routing is quite easy (the hose needs to go downward all the way to the sprocket)
                            4) It's quite stealth looking compared to mounting it to one of the main fairings (as shown on a Kat on their website)
                            - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Kewl, I do like the idea of oiling the chain on long runs.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                              X