X

concerning damper and preload on rear shock...pre98

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concerning damper and preload on rear shock...pre98

Whats the difference between the preload (which is on top of the rear shock)and damper (which is the adjuster nut on the bottom)

the highest the preload goes to is 4, and I want to adjust the damper to 6 ( i know it will be a rough ride, but im really looking to jack the rear end up a bit). So if the preload only goes to 4, must i keep the damper at 4?

Also, I dont have the spanner wrench, im having such a hard time adjusting the ring on the bottom!

thanks

Huh? Let's see here , preload is adjusted at the bottom of the shock with a spanner wrench , and that makes your shock stiffer by raising it . Think of taking a spring and compressing it a bit . It will take more force to compress it further from that point than it would from before . The damper is the little pull-thingy under the seat , adjustable in 3 settings . THAT affects how fast the shock bounces back after a hit . Too little damping , and the shock bounces too much . Too much damping , and it'll feel kind dead . I've heard of people using a hammer and screwdriver to adjust the preload instead of a spanner , but I tried and couldn't get that to work . I bought a factory tool kit on E-bay for cheap that includes a spanner . Maybe you'll wanna pick one up to play with ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

No, you do not need to match pre-load to compression.

KNOW THIS: If you want to raise the bike, the best way is to get a shorter dogbone (rear suspension link). Doing so will not alter the suspension settings that you find most suitable to your riding (although it will increase the desire to turn and decrease straight-line stability by the same amount).

I think MD86 pretty much covered the rest. I don't think the pre-98 600's had a remote damper adjuster, so it would be on the top of the shock.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thank u gentleman..i have a spare set of bones here waiting to be cut, but the pre's have a curved shape to them, they arent perfectly straight...do u think it worth a shot at cutting the spares anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600
          thank u gentleman..i have a spare set of bones here waiting to be cut, but the pre's have a curved shape to them, they arent perfectly straight...do u think it worth a shot at cutting the spares anyways?
          Depends on what they're made of and how feasible it is to get a good weld on the remainder... If they are cast, then I'd say replace them with ones fabricated shorter, because cast doesn't handle welding well normally.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

pre 98 750's have the remote adjuster

mine used to be set at 4 and I moved it to 6, quickened steering quite a bit

currently I have mine set at 7 and the remote at 3

I will probably go back to 6 and the next step will probably be to drop the triple just a hair to quicken things up a bit more. I may also look into some shims for the shock to increase rear ride height a little more.

I am 5'8" and 190# and this works pretty well for me.
            I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

the pre98 600 has 4 settings, my pre98 750 only has 3, sux. I need a better shock! LOL
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
              X