Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Squeaky Brake problem? Think I made it worse? HELP!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky Brake problem? Think I made it worse? HELP!

My bake has been to Tacoma Motorsports an Authorized Suzuki Shop and had a Tune up done a couple days of riding and I noticed everytime I came to a slow stop my rear brakes were squeakin I gave the guys at Tacoma Motorsports a call and the guy told me to go and spray some WD-40 on the brake pad now I didn't think nothin of it sounded good to me as long as the squeak goes away which it did but after riding around for about 100miles I have not gained any grip back into the brake?

Sounds like you glazed the rotor by using the wd-40, which I dont know why they told you to do that. You should have took the caliper off and put some brake grease on the backs of the pads and some on the slides. Now you need to take the rotor off and light sand both sides with some light sandpaper, and it should take of the glaze. Someone else chime in and confirm my assumtions or steer him in another direction, but thats what i'd do if it were mine! BTW the pads may be toast too!
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i agree with the above post, but why in the world would you put a lubricant on something that is supossed to create friction...

Comment

OMG! I'd be making a trip to that place to whup some azz. -You could have been killed!
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Um, I SERIOUSLY think someone at the shop was trying to mess with you, I would ride up there and have a nice little "conversation" with that shop manager and whoever told you to do that...
          Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
          18v Rigid Drill
          Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
          New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

it reminds me of an old bicycle joke, that I can't for the life of me find anywhere. It was something to the effect of bicycle mechanic problems and repairs.

Brakes squeaking; brakes lubricated
            Headset kind of loose; headset kind of tightened
            Bottom bracket making noise; bottom bracket removed, no longer makes noise.

And so on and so forth.

As to the problem, I am pretty sure you are going to have to replace those pads as they will never work right after you contaminate them with a lubricant. Their whole purpose is to create friction and you applied a product whose purpose is to reduce friction. Hopefully the rotor is not fried too, as with some heat contaminants can work their way into the metal structure of the rotor. Soak it in brake cleaner, and I do mean soak. After that rough it up with some emery cloth or sand paper, then clean it with soapy water followed by a good rinse and hit it with some more brake cleaner. That is your best bet of reviving the rotor.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Personally, I would not sand either the pads or rotor. Instead, I'd get new pads, clean the rotor really well with spray brake cleaner (that stuff will de-grease the WD-40 residue, and evaporate away), and when reinstalling the new pads, put some silicone brake grease (that little packet of stuff you buy at the check-out counters in auto stores) on the sliding pins/surfaces and the pad backing plates.
              "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
                put some silicone brake grease (that little packet of stuff you buy at the check-out counters in auto stores) on the sliding pins/surfaces and the pad backing plates.
                Making VERY sure to keep it away from friction material.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I wouldn't go near that shop again. The pins just probably needed to be cleaned up on a wire wheel.
                  R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                  X