X

Changing Fork Seals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Fork Seals

Is it possible to change my own fork seals? I know that on my RM 250 a special tool was needed to take the fork apart. My left fork is starting to leak and I want to put in new springs anyway. Thanks

No its not impossible.. I do (did) my own. First time took me awhile, took my time and made sure I did everything right. Its definately something you can and should do!

shows a cruiser but same thing applies!
    You would be hard pressed to find anything more neglected on a motorcycle than its fork oil. Some bikes carry the same few ounces of fork oil for their entire lifetimes. For all the hard work the fork does in keeping your ride smooth, you should reward it with fresh oil every two years or 15,000 miles. Perhaps, even though you've been a good caretaker of your cruiser, you noticed a teardrop of oil on the top of the slider during your pre-ride check. You'll need to replace the seal and minimiz
    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

just don't forget that bolt under the fork, where the axle spacer is. Slide that spacer out of there and there is a 6mm hex bolt up there, if you try to separate the upper and lower fork tubes with that bolt in there, aint gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
        just don't forget that bolt under the fork, where the axle spacer is. Slide that spacer out of there and there is a 6mm hex bolt up there, if you try to separate the upper and lower fork tubes with that bolt in there, aint gonna happen.
        Did you need an impact gun to get that bolt off? I think that's the bolt that the manual mentions you may need an impact gun to loosen.
        Kyle

Comment

Yes I used a impact, its all but impossible to loosen it with a regular wrench. Impact= spins right out!
          Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No, it's not impossible to do it with a wrench, but an impact makes it 100% easier.

Comment

No, it's not impossible to do it with a wrench, but an impact makes it 100% easier.

Sorry bigmatthew, It is possible to do it with a wrench, I just stated it wrong. I guess all but impossible really means "no way in hell" to some

Comment

Sorry bigmatthew, It is possible to do it with a wrench, I just stated it wrong. I guess all but impossible really means "no way in hell" to some

Comment

hey im doing the same thing, thanks for the thread!! btw, is this common for these bikes?

Comment

Seals get old and leak . Happens quicker from tools trying to impress high school chicks with wheelies , though .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I guess you got to do what you got to do? In my opinion a katana isn't a wheelie bike. More like a 500 lb missle.

Comment

Working...
                      X