X

Front to Rear Brake pad wear ratio

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front to Rear Brake pad wear ratio

I have had my Kat for just over two years and about 10K+ and I just put my 3rd set of rear brake pads on. The thing is my front pads still look good. Is it normal to wear out the rear pads faster then the front? i know there are two rotors to spread the work over but I do more then twice the work. What kind of wear ratio are you guys getting?

P.S I did just find out that I should have removed the shims from my rear pads when using EBC, but still 3 rear to 1 front seems excessive?
    sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
    A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

I have never heard that. Obvious answer: you use the rear 3 times more.

If not even riding super smooth at best you would wear them evenly.

Comment

Disc ain't groovy , is it ? Even so , my disc is WAY groovy , and I still don't come close to those numbers ...... i'm guessing you just use ALOT of rear brake .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You're not resting your foot on the brake lever are you? How hard was it to press in the brake piston when replacing the pads? I would think you are either using the rear brake too much or your brake piston is sticking.

Comment

My initial suspicion is that your rear pistons aren't retracting properly because of built-up brake dust forming a ridge. Thisn't uncommon for the 98+ because of how the caliper hangs below the swingarm & rotor.

The normal "cure" is to disassemble the caliper pistons, clean them with scotchbrite back to shiney-clean and replace the seals. It's a bit of a PIA to get the pistons out if you don't have a compressed air source (I fudged it with a bicycle tire pump and a rubber vacuum nipple that I cut the tip off of).

I carry the rear seals by themselves, and also have a full rear-piston set here (new pistons + new seals as a single kit) that's not all that pricey ($27 plus S&H)

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            My initial suspicion is that your rear pistons aren't retracting properly because of built-up brake dust forming a ridge. Thisn't uncommon for the 98+ because of how the caliper hangs below the swingarm & rotor.

The normal "cure" is to disassemble the caliper pistons, clean them with scotchbrite back to shiney-clean and replace the seals. It's a bit of a PIA to get the pistons out if you don't have a compressed air source (I fudged it with a bicycle tire pump and a rubber vacuum nipple that I cut the tip off of).

I carry the rear seals by themselves, and also have a full rear-piston set here (new pistons + new seals as a single kit) that's not all that pricey ($27 plus S&H)

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Cool thanks for the info.
            I will look into doing that soon. Luckily I do have an air compressor at home so that should help.

Once I get a few other projects off the bench I will tackle this one.
            sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
            A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

Working...
            X