X

caliper rebuild?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caliper rebuild?

i went to check my bracks today to see if they needed replaced and on my rear caliper one pad is 3/4 gone and the other looks brand new.
    Does the caliper need rebuilt or is it something else thats wrong.
    if it does need rebuilt what parts do i need too replace on the rebuild.
    The Katana's Big Brother
    1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

grease the pad retainaning pins, make sure the pad cavity doesn't show signs fluid leaking past the piston seals. If fluid is leaking you'll need to rebuild.

Comment

i dont see any fluid leaking in it
      The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Uneven pad wear means that one caliper piston isn't travelling out correctly on the rear calipers. This usually happens because of brake dust and road grime building up on the edges of the caliper piston, causing it to not want to come out straight (and finally not come out at all as the travel goes off-center too far). The only safe solution is to do a rebuild (to permit you to clean the pistons fully) when you go to replace the pads. The seals should be changed at the same time, especially on a bike as old as yours.
        It's not brain surgery and it's quite straight-forward; it's no more complex than an oil change (although more time consuming), and far simpler than a valve adjustment. SpeedBleeders will make the process easier as well. For getting the pistons out, if you don't have a compressed air source, you can fabricate one with a footpump from walmart and a vacuum cap; put the cap over the cone-shaped filler cap for the footpump and cut off the tip; this will be large enough to seal to the hose inlet for the brake line hose and let you put air pressure on it to push the calipers out.

Remember: your brakes are more critical than your engine. They really need to work perfectly each time, consistently.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

where can i get a rebuild kit or is it somthing that i just have to order oem because i cant find any aftermarket ones
          The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Originally posted by katana91
            where can i get a rebuild kit or is it somthing that i just have to order oem because i cant find any aftermarket ones
            check with Special K first!!
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

There is no such thing as a rebuild kit to my knowledge; all you need is the stock caliper gasket set, available from any dealer (online visit www.ronayers.com for a good price), some brake fluid, spray brake cleaner, a scotchbrite pad and some time... unless you get it apart and find pitted rust on the caliper pistons ruining their ability to move, in which case you order a replacement piston.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

there is a set with the pistons and seals. I got one for my rear caliper. Part # 69100-27821

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
                  there is a set with the pistons and seals. I got one for my rear caliper. Part # 69100-27821
                  It's just really rare for someone to need the actual pistons (usually they're just dirty and need to be cleaned; far more rare for them to be unservicable).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the help everyone
                    The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Originally posted by cyber
                      It's just really rare for someone to need the actual pistons (usually they're just dirty and need to be cleaned; far more rare for them to be unservicable).
                      Ditto...but if you do need a piston, check on ebay. You can probably get the whole caliper for less than a piston at a dealer.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Just spent the day working on all the brakes. Pretty much I have not a clue on what the original owners did on this bike. We are guessing by the look of the rear pads and the brake fluids, that they are stock and have not been changed like needed. The fronts appear to be different pads, still all around all the pads needed to be replaced. We broke down the calipers and gave everything a real good cleaning and all looks great. Flushed out the old fluids and that stuff looked pretty nasty. My guess is many years of dirt and buildup. All is as good as new and I know now, that they've been redone, new brake fluid, and brake pads. Plus it was cool doing it ourselves too.
                        Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                        Katana

Comment

Thumbs-up!

Q: Did you replace the caliper piston seals?

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Not at this time, all the seals looked perfect, I'm going to keep an eye on things and see how the bike handles and brakes. I have a firm grasp on whats involved now and will also monitor the brake fluids closer now. I could be wrong and maybe someone has replaced the seals at some point. It has fairly low miles for a 96, I just don't think they paid much attention to the brakes really. Not smart in my mind, since its one of the main things that stop you.

Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
                            Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Paladin
                              Not at this time, all the seals looked perfect, I'm going to keep an eye on things and see how the bike handles and brakes. I have a firm grasp on whats involved now and will also monitor the brake fluids closer now. I could be wrong and maybe someone has replaced the seals at some point. It has fairly low miles for a 96, I just don't think they paid much attention to the brakes really. Not smart in my mind, since its one of the main things that stop you.

Also, check the date on the brakelines, if you can't read it then the lines should be replaces. The general rule in the tech world is 5 years, if the date of the lines are 5 years old or older then replace them. Mileage doesn't matter. Like when I bought my 93 the lines were original equipment, that is just asking for a big problem.
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                              X