X

1988 600f installing racetech springs and emulator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 600f installing racetech springs and emulator

So... after a couple of years... i'm back at it!
    I'm replacing the stock springs, front fork (well, the forks), and the emulator from racetech.
    Of course, this is a 88 model, so... nothing is simple!
    On the manual... remove the circlips... whaaaaaat!!!! Not easy... but i'm creative!
    So, pics! so other owners of 88 models can look at:

This is what I come up with to press the spring down in order to be able to remove the circlip

In the bottom, a piece of wood, with a 3cm hole in the middle, 4 nuts and washers, and 4x 1meter screw rod (m6)

Up top, just 4 m6 holes, nuts and washers... a piece of tube to make some distance in order to be able to put some tools to pry out the circlip (in this case I used a socket for spark plugs)

I fastened the nuts enough to have some space, the I used some precision slotted screwdrivers, one to push back and the other to pull up.

Success!

Removing the oil stop piece from the bottom was also not that easy for me, it was stuck in the bottom

I manage to pry it out with some long tube used to hang drapes.

I have a question tough,

The stock spring is 10cm longer than the racetech springs (FRSP S353485), is this normal?
    GSX 600f '88
    ------------
    Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Ok, I've got another doubt (i'm following squiggy how to to install the racetech stuff), my rod only has one hole, I'm supposed to leave one hole right? can it be that one?

The stanchion is 1-2mm bent... how bent is too bent?
    T-mod... are you there ?!
    GSX 600f '88
    ------------
    Custom "Ricardo Amado" OEM Style Led Gauges | Gear Display OEM Style Mod | GSX400f Gas/Oil Temp OEM Style Mod | '94 BST33ST Carbs | '96 GSX750f Swingarm Mod | '01 GSX600f Wheels Swap Mod | R6 Competition Rear Suspension Mod | 15/49 Sprockets 525 Chain Conversion | Dyna Beads | '89 GSXR750 Cams

Comment

While i'm at it, I will also change the steering stem bearings (never notice my steering was sh#t until I removed all the weight, looked like the bearing had rocks instead of rollers)... not a easy task removing and installing the bearings races. Could not remember where the old one's was... at first the top looked like to me that it should be lower... I tried hard to make it go down further... but... no, I guess I reach the bottom, and the top one is a little bit protruding.

Finally, while i'm waiting for a guy to unbend my fork tube, i'm also be installing my two brothers exhaust, took all afternoon to build the suport... but it came alright.

can wait to ear it!!!

GSX 600f '88
      ------------

Comment

While I wait for some parts to be powder coated and the stanchion... new tires! why not!!! Loved the Michelin Pilot Road 3... and then the 4... now it's just Road 5!
        GSX 600f '88
        ------------

Comment

Tried the bike today!... OMG!!! Yesterday she was like a sister no me... I like her so much... today... i'm in love, I want to marry her!
          the race tech suspension... unbelievable... the two brothers exhaust... too sexy!!!
          I've used a lot of bikes... but... I think, the way she is now... it's just my favorite bike!

GSX 600f '88
          ------------

Comment

oh... forget to mention... the lithium battery was without use for two years... the bike was without use for two years... obvious... what is not obvious... the battery started the bike effortlessly... and... the carbs were still tuned... purring like a MF cat!
            Last edited by rarva; 08-06-2020, 06:12 PM.
            GSX 600f '88
            ------------

Comment

One day... I'll fix the fairings!
              GSX 600f '88
              ------------

Comment

Working...
              X