Quick preload question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick preload question

Hi all,
    I just wanna know if any one could give me advice on a preload setting. I am 240lbs and changed the preload up to 5, dont think I did it right cause it was hard as hell to turn, but thats another story. Bike feels a little better now but seems to turn more sharply. Do I need to adjust my front forks? Or should I move the preload to max? Any advice welcome

i stiffen damping and preload by one click on both front and rear

a lot easier to turn in. bike feels 30lb lighter

didnt like the flicking/harsh ride, either i'm too skinny (150lb) or kat's
    preload/damping/suspension are just incompetent

i'm now riding on front damping at 2nd click, rear preload at 4th, rear
    damping at 3

i think its better to adjust both front and rear, so they will both react
    the same

Comment

Drop the forks about 5-7mm too, helped a bunch for me.

Comment

I adjusted mine, and purposely adjusted to high just to see how it would feel, and I ran into the same problem, could hardly turn at all needless to say I dropped it back down a couple notches and I was fine, im 5'8" 220.

Comment

The right way to set the rear preload for a specific rider:

Put the bike up on the centerstand. Measure the total rear ride height.
          Put the bike on it's wheels and compress the rear down all the way (will take a friend to help). Remeasure.

Now, with your body fully on the bike (someone else bracing it to support it), set the rear ride preload height to 70% of the difference between the spring all the way out and all the way in. This will have tuned the rear ride height and preload to the best setting the bike can have for your ride weight. Remember to wear your gear and anything else you typically ride with when doing the measurements.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Great stuff as always poet!!

Comment

Bottom line... For a 240 lb rider you could really benefit from new springs.

Personally, I don't like RaceTech stuff. Their quality has gone WAY down over the past year and a half to two years. However, they're about the only "off the shelf" choice for cartridge emulators for your Katana's forks...

As far as springs, I would contact Hyperpro.

They make both fork and shock springs for the Katanas. I would recommend their springs over RaceTech's a hundred times over! They even sell "combo kits" giving you both fork AND shock springs in one package... Another nice thing is that you don't need to worry about spring weights! A LOT of EXCELLENT riders rave about their products...
              -Steve

Comment

stevnmd: Does it make sense to get both the cartridge emulators from RaceTech but also get new springs from, say, Hyperpro? Or are the emulators not compatible with progressive springs?
                "Of what is significant in one's own existence one is hardly aware, and it certainly should not bother the other fellow. What does a fish know about the water in which he swims all his life?" -- Einstein

sadrik
                00 Blue VFR800, '99 Blue Katana 750

Comment

I would try what CyberPoet said first.
                  Bike is sold

Comment

Yes, you can definitely benefit from RaceTech's emulators but the vendor of your choice's springs..

I think the RaceTech / HyperPro combo would be an excellent decision...

You can try what CP suggested, but you'll never get even CLOSE with the stock suspension components on a Kat. And, forget that 70% rule... Just set sag to 1.5" front and rear for street riding. About 1.25" for AGGRESSIVE street and/or track...

I can definitely help you do that. PM me. It won't be until at least tomorrow until I can write a decent amount. I just returned from being out of town all weekend.
                    -Steve

Comment

Re: Quick preload question

Originally posted by NutFactor
                      Hi all,
                      I just wanna know if any one could give me advice on a preload setting. I am 240lbs and changed the preload up to 5, dont think I did it right cause it was hard as hell to turn, but thats another story. Bike feels a little better now but seems to turn more sharply. Do I need to adjust my front forks? Or should I move the preload to max? Any advice welcome
                      There is no adjustment for preload on the front forks only damping (soft to hard)so your stuck with what you got unless you change to the idea springs for your weight. You don't need the emulators to get the correct preload, but they will increase the performance of the front end. Ohlins also makes front springs for kats.
                      '92 Kat restoration/mod project

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                        Yes, you can definitely benefit from RaceTech's emulators but the vendor of your choice's springs..

I think the RaceTech / HyperPro combo would be an excellent decision...

You can try what CP suggested, but you'll never get even CLOSE with the stock suspension components on a Kat. And, forget that 70% rule... Just set sag to 1.5" front and rear for street riding. About 1.25" for AGGRESSIVE street and/or track...

I can definitely help you do that. PM me. It won't be until at least tomorrow until I can write a decent amount. I just returned from being out of town all weekend.
                        Base your setup on sag. I went to a track day and had racetech set my sag. They did it for free but I gave them $10

Mickey

Comment

Working...
                        X