X

shorter dogbones

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shorter dogbones

I believe speedee, or beekman have had their dogbones cut, to raise the rear of their bike.

Now I know there used to be posts in KP about someone modding them.

But, I have an extra set of dogbones, and over the winter Im considering cutting them and welding them 1/4" shorter.

Obviously the center of gravity will be skewed..but im looking for opinions on everyones view on this.

Or if anyone has ever done it, it would greatly help.

thanks

I remember there being some discussion by one of the KP members about having problems finding a shop willing to weld the cast iron (?) stock dogbones for this purpose -- he said he had to go through half a dozen shops before he found someone who trusted themselves to weld the stock metal. This is probably why most people opt for a CNC'd replacement instead. As long as you cut it & weld it up straight, it should only benefit your handling, not screw it up -- your attack angle increases, which will improve handling sharpness, but may also lighten up the rear wheel loading a bit (more apt to slide at high lean angles under high torque applications -- but that's heavily affected by the tire choice too).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So what amount should I have cut?

Im thinking 1/4 inch, I dont want to get crazy, and end up having a stupid jacked up rear bike

thanks cyber

Comment

It was easier for me and Spedee because our later models use flat steel dogbones. We both cut out the maximum amount...ie. 3/8" to give a 1.5" rise. Any more than that will change the coil geometry such that it will rub on the swingarm.
        Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

One of the best and cheapest mods to make the undertail stand out.
          Bike is sold

Comment

good idea, thanks for the info guys, im adding this to my mod list for the winter.

Comment

absolutely...i always loved the look of open space between the undertail and tire...perhaps it might not look as good with the pre98's...but its worth a shot.

I always plan on a high mount exhaust over the winter..let's see how that goes

Comment

The KP member you asked about who was working with the dogbones was SlickKat....Here he is GixerKat.
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Just remember to have your sidestand (kickstand) lengthened accordingly at the same time!

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That's never been a problem with Beekman or myself.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Just remember to have your sidestand (kickstand) lengthened accordingly at the same time!

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Bike is sold

Comment

Here's the look from the rear.
                      Bike is sold

Comment

Re: shorter dogbones

I am working on the same thing with my 93,
                        I am replacing the rearend with a 98+ swingarm and shock linkage so that I can use the much easier to modify stamped steel dogbones, I found a guy that can make longer or shorter dogbones for a very good price, he has yet to make shorter ones, but regularly makes and sells the longer version. I put a set of these on my wifes 2002 600, they work very nicely. I'll be posting a poll sometime today looking for interest in lowering and lifting bones.
                        Metise makes a ""tail lifter" for the 98+ models that sells for about $70, it is just a pair of shorter dogbones.

I am waiting for parts for my conversion to arrive, I'll post a how to when I get it done!

I'll keep you guys posted
                        Originally posted by Gsxxx600
                        I believe speedee, or beekman have had their dogbones cut, to raise the rear of their bike.

Now I know there used to be posts in KP about someone modding them.

But, I have an extra set of dogbones, and over the winter Im considering cutting them and welding them 1/4" shorter.

Obviously the center of gravity will be skewed..but im looking for opinions on everyones view on this.

Or if anyone has ever done it, it would greatly help.

thanks

Comment

Thanks man...I have an extra swingarm for a pre98, and extra set of dog bones...So even though, I dont have the straight steel dogbones, I at least have a good back up set

Let me know!

Comment

Chris,

If you want the measurements for the bones and the spacers to make a +98 dogbone work with a pre98 swingarm, let me know. I have them over at the shop and can get them this evening
                            sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                            MSF Rider Coach 27028
                            MoPowerSports.com
                            Torco
                            SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by GixerKat
                              Chris,

If you want the measurements for the bones and the spacers to make a +98 dogbone work with a pre98 swingarm, let me know. I have them over at the shop and can get them this evening
                              Yeah, Send that over please, I'd like to see what you've done as well if you have pics of the dones you are using or the setup all bolted in.

Thansk,
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X