X

Fork rebuilding...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork rebuilding...

I did a search and spent time in the "How to" section but I just can't find it. I believe the BP made a how to rebuild forks section here and I just can't find it....Last night I was looking at my Kat and the set of forks sitting in the corner so I decided that would be the next thing to do, after I get my exhaust back (another story for another time)...so I decide to see what is underneath the dust seal...a metal springy thing and another seal...wow good start but how do you take the thing apart.....There is a nut on the top of the fork...no not me there is actually a nut 24mm...so I go to my socket drawer and try to loosen it...no good you turn it and the inner tube turns with it...and it's too slippery to get a grasp on it...oh well I decide time to hit KR and find that rebuild document...now I'm here and can't find it...any help would be appreciated..
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

the top cap screws down into the fork tube....that has to come off. also, if you flip the fork over and look at the bottom, you will see the two end caps that hold the axle.....remove those as well. then on the end you will see an allen head cap screw. you need to remove that before anything will come out.
    From this point on, it is basically just the seal holding it together. I found the easiest way to get it apart was use the inner tube like a slide-hammer. secure the bottom fork tube in a vice, or get someone to hold it, and use the sliding action of the inner tube to hammer out ther seals.

I am not sure this is how most do it, but it worked for me. Not sure of any other way to remove the seals other than what I did.

good luck.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Jax I just did my oil and dust seals. I'll find my info and post it here.

Comment

Here's the web site that helped me out. http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ce_fork_seals/
        The only problem that I had was I forgot to install the bushing at the end of the fork. So I had to take it all back apart. Oh well lesson learned. To answer your 24mm nut question.I loosened the 24mm nut while the forks were still tight in the tripple tree.

Comment

Leaking fork seals are more than a messy eyesore. Let them go long enough and the oil can ruin brake pads and, when the fluid's gone, the fork's internals will begin a nice 60-grit dance. You don't want any of that.

Also - one thing it doesnt mention in the article is how much oil to put in - 491 (??) ml per fork according to black peter in one post. I found if you buy the big bottle of fork oil (not sure how big it is then its roughly half a bottle in each tube.
          97 Katana 600
          [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

make sure you pump the forks a couple times when doing adding the oil, it gets the air out. and it is something like 491 ml of fluid, but there is also a measurement. I personally and recommend buying two bottles (here comes in 1 liter bottles) and fill each, remove air and leave it about 1 inch below the top and then suck the oil out till the recommended height. I don't have my manual so I can't tell you the height measurement, but someone will chime in. Using the height measurement ensures that they are equal.

Also for pressing in new antifriction metals, which also recommend if they are original. Go to advance or something and get some pieces of exhaust pipe adapters(one size on one side and another on the other), i think it is 1 5/8" for the antifriction, but something around 2 inches for the seals.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

How about this one?

-Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I was told the level was more important than the volume , so just measure from the top .
                I did mine last summer . Wadn't TOO hard , but is easier if you loosen most of the parts while forks are still in the clamps . And those allens on the bottom (kinda inside where the axle goes) are REALLY in there . Mine stripped . No fun . Careful . A manual will help alot . A seal driver is easy enough to make with PVC . I can get a pic of that if you really want .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X