X

Bike set up questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike set up questions

I've talked to several people that recommend raising my back end a couple inches for better handling. I'm not opposed to the idea because the bike is much shorter than newer bikes. If this is a good idea, what's the best way to raise it (is there an adjustment or aftermarket shock)?

Swap dogbones or get a different shock .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Like Md said you can get Dogbones..
      (the links that connect the swingarm to the main shock link) but that is damn near impossible for a pre 98..
      Check out the "all about suspension" page. I have a list there of shocks that will fit into a Kat and if they raise the rear of not.. Another idea is to lower the front.
      Loosen the fork clamps and let the front drop about 1/4 inch (really thats all!) and try that. However since your rear shock is nearly 20 years old.. Getting newer one is a good idea!.

Comment

That was the other thing I was thinking about, the rear shock feels like a bronc on anything less than a perfect road.
        So that is correct, more rake is good? I also don't want to lower it 'cause I hit the header sometimes. Mostly when my wife is on the back (I hope she doesn't read this).

Comment

you hit the headers sometimes already with the forks flush with the top of the triple tree clamp? are you going over speed bumps, going over curbs, or anything like that? if you are just riding and hitting them seems like you have a worn out shock that gave it up long time ago. Me personally would recommend new springs in the front fork. My recommendation is racetech weight specific springs. just go to www.racetech.com, plug in your weight, and bike info and they will recommend a spring rate for you and then you can purchase there or any other online or brick and mortar retailer. cost runs about 100 bucks for the springs. not to bad i think. also cyber sells some springs i think ohlins, that work for the post 98, and quite possibly the pre98, but don't know, have to talk to him, also bikebandit sells progressive rate springs for 100 bucks. but i got racetech, and quite pleased.

Seeing how your bike is a 89 as well, i would recommend a fork rebuild. Also recommended would be the replacement for the rear shock. I personally am going with a 99-04 or soemthing hayabusa rear shock. like bp said in one of his posts, great for the kat because it is made for the kat weight and great for 2 up riding, and it raises the tail 1-2 inches. these shocks can be found on ebay for anywhere from 20-100 bucks delivered.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I forgot to say that I'm hitting speed bumps and stuff. The front end feels good, the back end can get scarry. I'll see what I can find on ebay. I was thinking about doing a back half from a CBR or something like it but I think that's more work than I care to do this winter. I do want to update the look of the tail before the new paint. I've never worked with plastic so I'm trying to figure out if I should try fiberglass or ??? I want a clean line up to the back of the seat. I'm not sure how I want to change it but I want to get rid of the big boxy tail light.

Comment

yeah check ebay, the rear shock from a hayabusa only requires what i would call minimum customization. you just have to cut some of your plastic fender and move the battery box back about 2 inches to clear for the piggy back reservoir. i have even hit speed bumps riding by my self. if they are in an apartment complex, housing complex you live in, ask if you can sort of build ramps out of concrete, or balcktop to make the entry and exit over them not so sever. Or ask if you can remove a portion of them near the edges.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

No, it's quite the opposite. We live out in cattle country. The only bikes out here are dirt and Harleys. I get a kick out of my cowboy buddies that think my bike is gay. I used to think the same thing, till I rode one. Now, I'm hooked. I want to ride tomorrow but it's mid 20s.
                I've already poured concrete so I can get the bike in the barn without dragging but there's plenty of other places that require 4x-ing.
                What year Busa would be the best to look for (or least to modify)?

Comment

are the harleys out there driving your irrigation pumps?

i think 99-04 busa shock. it will raise the rear 1-2 inches, i haven't done the mod yet, but plan on doing so, just gotta figure somethings out, you just have to alter those two things from my understanding. the 99-04 year shock has the piggy back reservor directly or slightly going downward along the shock. the 06 shock points up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowchip500
                    I forgot to say that I'm hitting speed bumps and stuff. The front end feels good, the back end can get scarry. I'll see what I can find on ebay. I was thinking about doing a back half from a CBR or something like it but I think that's more work than I care to do this winter. I do want to update the look of the tail before the new paint. I've never worked with plastic so I'm trying to figure out if I should try fiberglass or ??? I want a clean line up to the back of the seat. I'm not sure how I want to change it but I want to get rid of the big boxy tail light.
                    You may want to go ahead and do the front while your at it. The front may feel OK but trust me it will feel GREAT if you change out that old fork fluid!!! I just changed the fluid and seals on my F3, and man is it night and day. And the old oil stunk and was NASTY. Just a thought......
                    Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Common-said but allso untrue...
                      Raising the tail won't improve handling, it will make handling in respect to cornering somewhat easier not better (and at some loss off straight-on stability.)
                      A better fork and monoshock (at least with adjustable in- and rebound) will however really improve handling.

Comment

Okay, everyone has told me to change fluid in the forks, so I'm adding it to the list.
                        When I heard about raising the rear, I was thinking that it would reduce caster and make the bike less stable at high speeds (maybe increase chances of tank slapping). 1-2 inches of lift in the rear won't be much, though (not with my 200#s on it). Any thoughts?

Comment

I used to lower the front end of my bike almost down to the stops (about 1" of travel left) at the dragstrip, and clearing the traps at 120mph, I never had any high-speed stability problems. The suspension geometry of the katana is such that you would have to SERIOUSLY raise the tail, and SERIOUSLY drop the front end to get it "twitchy". I've found it to be an extraordinarily forgiving bike, with suspension changes and tweaks not making a life-or-death difference in the handling or stability.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                          X