X

front brake too tight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brake too tight

ok - so did the fork seals and front brakes with factory parts (not that it matters just wanted to be clear it wasnt an aftermarket out of spec pad)

ok so all went well (thanks for all the resources and how to's) but in the end there is almost no brake lever movement at all - ie - at setting 4 on the dial my fingers are almost fully extended when it grabs the brakes hard - i'm a little concerned that they might be dragging although there doesnt seem to be any significant heat right now from the rotors. I originally thought i just had too much fluid in there - but after pulling the cap it seems just fine I did pull a tad out just to get it into the high-middle of the sight window.

I guess its possible that since i didnt change the rotors that its just grabbing while the pads are wearing in so i dont need as much lever to pull it in - I released the pressure after the ride home in the calipers (the inner side on the right caliper did have some pressure in it but not a lot)

So - am i missing something? Is there some adjustment on the lever that will let me pull it in? Or are my brakes just grabbing cuz they're new and wearing in?

I can handle it where it is - but would prefer to be able to two finger it a little closer to my nuckles.

btw - yes i did search and cant seem to find this problem

I appreciate any help here.
    97 Katana 600
    [email protected] (or IM)

Too much fluid does not cause this.
    It could be that you have a stuck piston but you said it doesn't feel like it's dragging..
    And yes it could also be that the pads have not bedded into the rotors yet. But really that distance never changes. From the contacted to uncontacted the pad should move the same amount for all it's life. As it wears the piston moves out and stays out the same amount.

Comment

I guess it could be that I had air in the line prior to the change so it felt softer - that combined with the pads being fresh would make the lever feel tight compared to before the change over. Just feels real tight to me - but hey - what do i know - it does engage the light prior to contacting the brake so I'm going to go with that explanation for now I suppose
      97 Katana 600

Comment

If the wheel ain't grabbing , I woudn't worry .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
          If the wheel ain't grabbing , I woudn't worry .

Comment

Just for safe keepin I ran by my buddie's house last night on the way home - he races and used to be sponsered by zuki so I figured he would know -

He hopped on it and said it was exactly the way it is supposed to be - he said likely what happened was the guy that had it before me just waited for the fluid to go down and add it at that point - so likely it got some air in the line previously - but either way he said it is exactly where it is supposed to be right now - he said I'll end up using a tad more lever once the pads seat into the rotor but not much -

Guess my brakes were worse before than I thought! LOL
            97 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
            X