X

Rebuilding rear shock???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding rear shock???

I bought '92 GSXR rear shock from another KR member recently, and I'm looking into to sending it to race tech for a rebuild. I printed out the service information form from their website. I need to know what it is I should have them do? Do I get it rebuilt or gold valve revalve? And what other stuff should I mark on that form? Let me know what I should have done and what it is they do exactly. I've also added the original thread form the parts forum so you can see what I was told about the shock.
    Thanks guys,
    Chris

bump

Comment

Re: Rebuilding rear shock???

(A) The question arises, which GSXR did it come from (750, 1100)? If the weight difference is substancial, you may need to respring as well. Here are the wet weights for the '92 GSXR & GSXF series...
      GSXR 1100 - 557 lbs wet
      GSXR 750 - 527 lbs wet
      Kat 1100F - 602 lbs wet
      Kat 1100G - 632 lbs wet
      Kat 600 - 491 lbs wet
      Kat 750 - 510 lbs wet

(B) I'd go with the Gold valve system, if you can afford it. See RaceTech FAQ for more info.

I would recommend you call their techs and ask them for an opinion as to what to have done. My guess is you'll want the gold valve,the fluid and the seals, plus possibly the spring. No sense in chroming/anodizing unless you want strictly bling-bling effect and have $$ to throw around. As for the shaft, it depends strictly on whether the existing one is worn past it's service limits, something they can tell you once it's disassembled (and I can't tell you from here).

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

it came from a 750. Basically, this is my situation, I'm not going to track days, I'm not racing. I just want to upgrade the suspension on my kat to ride smother and corner better. I figuered this would be a worth while upgrade. Will a basic rebuild do the job? Or should I go with the Gold revalve, what is the bennefit of the gold revalve?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic13
          it came from a 750. Basically, this is my situation, I'm not going to track days, I'm not racing. I just want to upgrade the suspension on my kat to ride smother and corner better. I figuered this would be a worth while upgrade. Will a basic rebuild do the job? Or should I go with the Gold revalve, what is the bennefit of the gold revalve?
          Did you read the FAQ I pointed you at on what the gold valve is?

Q: What is a Gold Valve?
          A: A Gold Valve® is Race Tech's valving kit. It is designed to break through the limitations of the stock piston design. Research has shown that when the piston ports are as large as possible the harshness is dramatically reduced. This allows a valving stack to be personally tailored to the individual rider. It allows bottoming resistance to actually be increased as the harshness is decreased. The Gold Valve®itself is only the first step. The key to a successful custom setup is the Personal Valving System or PVS available on our website. In development for over 8 years, this computerized valving system calculates the proper setup for the individual rider and application from over 300,000 possible valving combinations.

Q: The Gold Valve® has such huge ports, won't it just blow through the travel?
          The truth is that the velocity of the damper is controlled by the input (the size and shape of the bump as well as the speed at which it is hit) as well as the damping setup. The real secret is in the valving. The huge ports of the Gold Valve® allow incredible valving flexibility. If we wanted to, the valving could actually be setup so stiff with a Gold Valve®that it is as bad as stock. Of course we don't want that. What it allows though, is the ability to make a damping setup both firm and plush at the same time.

Q: Gold Valves® have been out for a number of years. Why are Gold Valves® still needed on new motorcycle models?
          A: The factories have a pretty big challenge when setting up their suspension. They have to set it up for some mythical "average" rider. They also realize that it makes more sense for them to error on the stiff side rather than on the soft side if they are going to release it to the general public with all shapes and sizes and types of riding and skill levels. They also have budget considerations and time limitations to release new models. The truth is the stock pistons have been very similar since 1987. I believe they realize their stock settings must be a compromize and they leave the custom setup to the aftermarket.
          The Gold Valve® has been out for a number of years and the theory behind them still stands up. The real key is is the Valving that goes on the Gold Valve®. Race Tech's development goes on year round. This process has produced more refined PVS settings with every successive year.

So, thus the question is whether you want this or not, whether it's suitable to your needs, or would you be served just as well by simply having the stock Katana shock that was on there rebuilt? It's something no one can answer but you and those who know your riding style personally.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the advice Poet, Just looking for someone elses opinion to help me decide.
            Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X