X

Rear Axle alignment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle alignment

I have a 2005 Katana 600. I was wondering if anyone had some good tips on realigment of the rear axle. I put some new tires on my bike and I am trying to adjust the rear axle. Before I removed the wheel I made some ref marks to help me reset the rear axle but everytime I get one side right on the mark the other side is off and the side that is off the mark the adjusting plate is a little loose.

Here's a little trick that I like to do with the rear off the ground... With the chain tension correct of course, keep adjusting the angle of that axle until the sprocket teeth ride perfectly in the middle of each chain link when you spin the tire over and over, viewing directly from behind. You may even notice slightly less resistance when it's just right. Keep aligning it until it rides perfectly between those chain plates without even touching them AFTER you've tightened the axle. It'll take at least a few tries because you'll have to compensate for the slight adjustment that tightening the axle creates.

This is all assuming you've got a centerstand or a rear stand. Also, I wouldn't go by previous marks you've made. Doesn't hurt to remeasure and retension each time you service the wheel. Once you find what works for you, it's super easy.

I dunno, it may be an old idea but I just figured this out about two weeks ago and loved it.
    '01 TL1000R

Comment

Thanks for the info I will have to give it a try.

Comment

Thats a cool trick mystahagy done it a million times with belts, never thought to try it on a MC chain..

Comment

Other tricks/tools:

Profi makes a laser chain alignment tool (I own one), but any small laser with a flat edge that can be pressed to the sprocket will work.

Someone posted up a way of using a straight metal rod and a couple small button-style magnets to hold the rod to the rear sprocket. Cheap, effective, but only works on steel rear sprockets.

MotionPro makes a chain alignment tool that clamps to the rear sprocket and has a steel rod that you use to eye-ball the chain. Works the same as the ways above, about $22 - $25. I've owned one and didn't like it enough to keep it (sold it onwards -- I think iwannadie has it now).

I've tried mystahagy's method, but have never been able to get the sprocket to do it where the chain was centered both top, center rear and bottom at the same time -- in my experience, if it's centered in the rear center, it's on the left (looking at it from behind) at the top & bottom on the Kats. Still, in theory, it's valid and should work -- but you want the chain roller surfaces not to move in relation to the teeth once they mesh (builds up heat otherwise).

Now, if all you have is the stock adjuster plates, push them as far forward as possible when doing the adjustment -- it will give you a more accurate reading than just having them sloppy.

And finally:
          Once your chain is aligned, when doing periodic adjustments, loosen the axle bolt some, then turn each of the adjusters 1/8th turn exactly, recheck the chain and repeat as necessary. As long as you turn each adjuster exactly the same amount and don't have to back off at any point, the wheel that was in spec will stay in spec.

98+ Kat chain adjustment specs:

Everything you ever wanted to know about chains:
          CyberPoet's "Understanding Motorcycle Chain Wear, Maintenance, Cleaning, Lube, Stretch, etc" webpage.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Comment

I got one . I like it . It stays in my bags .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

+1 on Cyber's Profi laser tool. It's tiny so you can carry it with you, and it puts a nice bright beam right down the top of each link on the chain - from behind the bike, you can follow that beam all the way up to the front sprocket! It's awesome!
                FrankenKat 1216
                GS Fiter 816
                GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
                X