X

LED's legal color.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PinoyKat81 View Post
    Hello. Does anybody know the legal colors for LED's here in state of Florida? Thanks.
    put any color you want, if you get pulled over say "glowing? OMG i must have parked next to a toxic waste plant!"
    99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
    06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
    06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
    lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

This might sum up something. or reiterate everything that was recently said. Either way i will post my .02 lmao

I tend to ride with the same 2 people, just because we're the only ones in our social circle with bikes. Not the point but oh well. We all have motorcycle glow kits from LEDGlow.com (sorry for plugging, just stating where we purchased ours). We have 114 LEDs, so naturally that's a lot of light and they're bright. I have red, and my buddies have blue and green. We've never been pulled over for it. So honestly, I don't think you'll have any problems. Solid color lights on a bike really do increase visibility.

I would rather get pulled over everyday and explain it to a thousand different cops rather than get killed because another driver couldn't see me. Just my opinion though.
      - Remember -
      Ride wherever the road takes you and
      never stop until every inch of pavement
      has tasted your rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty600 View Post
        One of the Officers that come into the store said that in Florida, most wont bother you as long as you cannot see the bulbs and that they dont flash (blink). I have green on my bike, ride with them on at night all the time never been stopped... even in different counties.
        I've heard the same thing here in Illinois. No flashing or direct view of the lights, although you still run the risk of some wise-@ss cop looking to make quota. I plan on putting blue LEDS on my Kat this Spring. I guess I'll be testing my assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 Kat View Post
          I've heard the same thing here in Illinois. No flashing or direct view of the lights, although you still run the risk of some wise-@ss cop looking to make quota. I plan on putting blue LEDS on my Kat this Spring. I guess I'll be testing my assumptions.

Don't have quotas, they let me pull over as many people as I want.

In NE you cant display green or red to the front, and white light to the rear is a no-no too. Just fyi

Best bet is to check your state statutes in motor vehicle law. Sure you can find them online.
          Semper Fi
          1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

my good friend is a texas state trooper, i got curious before i spend the money on green leds so i asked him. on a bike any color is legal as long as the bulb is not visable.
            sigpicwww.violationmotorcyclegear.com
            www.dfwsportbikes.org

Comment

Yeah the laws are different depending on the state. PA has no color restrictions for instance BUT you can not have them flashing or strobing.

If I ride up to NY I expect to deal with some police for my 675 since it has massive amounts of blue lighting and that color causes issues up there if scene directly in front of the vehicle I believe.

And when you light up your ride be prepared to be pulled over for it some. Not every police officer knows all of the laws about the lighting so make damn sure you know your own state's laws. PA only passed the law 2 or so years ago and thus I keep a printout of it on my bikes to show an officer. I dont blame them at all since there are soo many laws to note and they are changing so often. All I ask is that they tell their fellow officers to make me up for the 5 minutes of my time. Not mad they pulled me over but normally they realize their mistake and start appologizing. I really do not care. 5 minutes of my time is fine so long as they let others know...
              I am a Penn State fanatic.
              Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by smitty600 View Post
                One of the Officers that come into the store said that in Florida, most wont bother you as long as you cannot see the bulbs and that they dont flash (blink). I have green on my bike, ride with them on at night all the time never been stopped... even in different counties.
                Cops also told me they are legal as long as you can not see th bulbs and not flashing.

Comment

Well I guess I'll be finding out soon. I'm going to put up red LEDs all under my bike, especially under the tail area because my rear LED brake light is not really the most visible. Here in Columbia at least, the cops are cracking down due to tight budgets and cuts everywhere. They're even pulling people over for as low as 3mph over the limit. Life is gonna suck real soon.
                  Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by nealy212 View Post
                    my good friend is a texas state trooper, i got curious before i spend the money on green leds so i asked him. on a bike any color is legal as long as the bulb is not visable.

Same in Cheyenne, Wyoming. I asked a city cop, and any color is fine as long as it does not point forward or behind the bike.
                    sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Working...
                    X