X

first start of season

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first start of season

So the kat has not run since probably november of 08, at that time I filled the tank with fuel and stabilizer for storage
    Went to garage today,nearly 5 months later ,put the battery back in
    Not a suprize she had no interest in starting
    Full choke, prime ,no sign of fire
    I grabbed a can of silicone lube that I keep for seals on car doors and garage door , think it uses propane as propelant
    Sprayed some in the back of the air filter and away we go
    I use this silicone spray to start small engines all the time , it doesnt make the motor scream like eithar(quick start)
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

great i'm also looking for tips mine has been sitting in my garage all winter. I had no issue at all last year but today I just can't get it going. I was thinking of quick start but I wonder will it work with the choke on ? do you crank it in the prime position ??

Comment

Originally posted by alpinestar View Post
      great i'm also looking for tips mine has been sitting in my garage all winter. I had no issue at all last year but today I just can't get it going. I was thinking of quick start but I wonder will it work with the choke on ? do you crank it in the prime position ??
      I see you are in canada
      napa sells Kleen Flo brand silicone lube ,that what I used
      I also left on prime until it did start, then switched back to on

Comment

thanks for the help I'll retry tomorrow

Comment

First start, heck I was out for my first ride on the weekend, a little chilly, but if you dressed appropriately it wasn't too bad. Good tip on the silicone lube Rex, I used starting fluid a couple weeks back when I first started mine after storage.
          '06 Katana 750

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me!

Comment

cover the air box inlet with a balled up shop rag...
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I just tried to start mine for the first time since November yesterday and was unsuccessful. After charging the battery, it would crank and come so close to turning over but just wouldn't go the whole way. I had the bike looked over before I put it away (carbs and plugs were fine) and I ran some Seafoam through the tank and topped it off. I'm going to stop and buy some carb cleaner spray on my way home today to try to give it a little help starting. Where exactly do I spray this? Where is the air box located when I take the seat off? Any other tips? Sorry for the newbie question, I searched but couldn't find an answer, and I really want to get it started tonight since I have an appt tomorrow to get a new tire mounted and state inspection. Thanks.

Comment

PSU08 - You're only gonna want to use the carb cleaner spray if you've got direct access to your carbs (with all the rubber bits taken off)!

If you're just looking to get the bike started, you can spray some starter fluid like Gunk Thrust in the air intake before starting the bike. The intake can be located just below the rear of the tank, after removing the seat. Looks like a smooth, round plastic hole (on a 98+ Kat, anyhow- Can't vouch for the pre-98, but it's likely similar).

G'luck.

--B

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxrox View Post
                  PSU08 - You're only gonna want to use the carb cleaner spray if you've got direct access to your carbs (with all the rubber bits taken off)!

If you're just looking to get the bike started, you can spray some starter fluid like Gunk Thrust in the air intake before starting the bike. The intake can be located just below the rear of the tank, after removing the seat. Looks like a smooth, round plastic hole (on a 98+ Kat, anyhow- Can't vouch for the pre-98, but it's likely similar).

G'luck.

--B

Thanks. I have a '98, so that definitely helps. I was going to use the carb cleaner spray since I read that starter fluid is a little rough on the engine, but I'll get some starter fluid to spray into the intake tonight. Just wanted to make sure I was spraying it into the right hole, and I really want to avoid removing the tank if I can. Thanks again!

Comment

a lot of carb cleaners dont burn so well

Comment

Nice post! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Sprayed a little starting fluid in last night and she fired right up. Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by PSU08 View Post
                          Sprayed a little starting fluid in last night and she fired right up. Thanks again for the help!
                          I would only use a tiny shot of starting fluid if I had nothing else
                          It is not really safe with small motors

Comment

I find if you set the petcock to Prime for a minute or two....switch it to ON and 3/4 choke she fires up........fully charged battery. Maybe I lucked out.(When I put her to sleep last year I put in some stabilizer and let it run for about 10 minutes, shut it off and filled it again.)
                            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                            ------------------------------------------
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I would be a little worried if mine did not start after sitting all winter. Is this normal. Both bikes I have had, and the Kat especially always fire right up after sitting all winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X