X

Time for the MC Parking Slot Build...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for the MC Parking Slot Build...

OK, as some of you know, I had a couple Kats (Malloc's, Mine) stolen from my parking lot a bit over a year ago. It was a shame that I couldn't (at the time) install one of my own motorcycle anchors in the ground to help prevent just this sort of thing...

Well, times change. I've managed to get on the board for the condo assoc as an officer, get my request to revamp a dedicated space for my MC use pushed through, and this Monday the build actually gets started finally... I'm kind of excited, in part because I did go a bit over the top on this project. The contractors have been hired, the concrete has been paid, and all the stars have hit their perfect alignment...

The GF did all the engineering drawings, advised me on the concrete pour requirements to make sure the stuff goes in the way I want it to (which I had to write into the contract, because the concrete guys wanted to do the easy-way-out), etc.

Monday, the guys with the saws will show up, and cut away the existing asphalt in the parking space (and haul it). Meanwhile, the framing guys will dig out some of the grass & dirt to one side of the same spot (to widen up the space), and then once the asphalt is gone, they'll frame up the whole thing, complete with 4 ballards (think 6" PVC tubing with rebar inside and concrete poured down them -- as parking barriers for cars), and four inset ground anchors spaced so four bikes can actually be locked down there (or a couple bikes can be locked at multiple points).

Then Tuesday, the pump truck shows up and they pump in the fiber-reinforced 3000 psi concrete into the space, and down into the ballards, cut it for expansion joints, and finish it off.

Only thing I still need to do at this point is go grab some electrical supplies, so I can wire up one of the ballards in advance (run the power out & under, so I'll have a power-drop at the bikes for chargers, etc. ), and some yellow paint (to paint the PVC of the ballards once they're poured & solid).

It's not a garage, but it's about as close as I can come...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

FINALLY... Is this like a sheltered carport? Or a parking space with your anchors installed?
    Congrats on getting things done Marc.
    Now your Kat will be safe.
    2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
    Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
    "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
    Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
    Veteran of the United States Air Force.
    "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Nice!! Congrats on getting all that accomplished!! Looks like it'll definitely be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by JaxKat View Post
        FINALLY... Is this like a sheltered carport? Or a parking space with your anchors installed?
        Congrats on getting things done Marc.
        Now your Kat will be safe.
        Parking space with barrier poles around the outsides and anchors installed in the ground. No cover (I couldn't get away with that part).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good GOD that's awesome ! . That'll be the coolest "reserved motorcycle parking" area EVER !
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Well, times change. I've managed to get on the board for the condo assoc as an officer, get my request to revamp a dedicated space for my MC use pushed through, and this Monday the build actually gets started finally... I'm kind of excited, in part because I did go a bit over the top on this project. The contractors have been hired, the concrete has been paid, and all the stars have hit their perfect alignment...
            Perfect example of: If you can't beat them join them....then beat them.

Good job Marc!
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Color you stoked, huh? Way to work the system!
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Marc congradulation on your victory , when are you moving

I tried to get a couple spots reserved at work for bikes so we could just leave some plates on the ground since we have several riders
                They quickly turned it into "we cant have special parking for that at the door"
                I am one of the first there in the morning so I am close to the door any how !!!
                It wasnt about being at the door, it was about not having the kickstand go threw the ashpalt on hot days
                The VP originally told one of us we could park on concrete slab in back compound but that has turned into a security risk
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Try this, it worked at an AF base in Germany a few years back:
                  All MC riders come to work early and take up one parking spot each as close to the front door as possible. Make sure nobody's parked illegally but eat up as much parking as possible. Have a detailed plan on paper, showing how you can park every bike out there in a minimum amount of space if you've got reserved parking for bikes. Include space for a bicycle rack. When someone from management complains about the parking, show them the reserved parking plan and talk about how bikes get far better fuel economy than cars as well as reducing traffic congestion. Mention how 'actively encouraging alternate forms of transportation' is a 'green initiative' for the company.
                  Repeat as necessary.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

sweeet maybe the *******s wont get to steal your zx.. congrats.. now other than getting on the board.. how do i get my complex to do the same.. ahah

Comment

marc,good job on that . i wish more places would start doing things like this .as many bikes are out there today!!!!
                      • i see you 2006 katana 600!!!! R.I.P. CP

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        Try this, it worked at an AF base in Germany a few years back:
                        All MC riders come to work early and take up one parking spot each as close to the front door as possible. Make sure nobody's parked illegally but eat up as much parking as possible. Have a detailed plan on paper, showing how you can park every bike out there in a minimum amount of space if you've got reserved parking for bikes. Include space for a bicycle rack. When someone from management complains about the parking, show them the reserved parking plan and talk about how bikes get far better fuel economy than cars as well as reducing traffic congestion. Mention how 'actively encouraging alternate forms of transportation' is a 'green initiative' for the company.
                        Repeat as necessary.
                        Oh did I mention they did give a spot to a bicycles!! ( no special treatment Huh)

Management has their heads so far up their own arse's they can't see the light of day

They costantly spend money on stupid repairs only to go back a couple weeks later and replace the repaired item
                        They hire companies that are unqualified for the work they are performing

They built an outdoor area with picnic tables
                        Really it is 6 posts with a roof over it !!!!!
                        Should have taken 2or3 days tops , try 3 weeks
                        With a naked eye you can see nothing is straight or level, imagine the blueprints where on a cocktail napkin LOL
                        It was for everyone but the smokers have taken it over . you could smoke hams out there !! (we have an indoor smoking ban here)
                        Did I mention most of management are smokers?

Sorry for hijacking
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

What do you use to secure the bike to the anchor. That seems like it would be the weak link.

I know for your bike it will be good because you also have the alarm.

Marc, make sure you post up pics of all the work, I would like to see them
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
                            What do you use to secure the bike to the anchor. That seems like it would be the weak link.
                            My three mainline locks are:
                            1. MasterLock Street Cuffs (model 8290DPS). I bought one used off eBay and liked it so much that I'm looking at becoming a MasterLock dealer (in part, so I can get a couple keyed the same). If purchased new, they come with a $3500 anti-theft policy (if cut/forced open; doesn't apply to picking).

2. An Oxford 30mm steel strand-cable with protected metal sheaths over the cable, integrated lock. Much like what CobraLinks used to be before their patent expired. Very, very hard to pick, hard to cut, reasonable pricing.

3. A knock-off of the Xena disk lock with integrated alarm.

I've also got some others, but I'm not using them on the ZX at the moment... Plus I've got a beta-test for the RoadLok system coming up shortly, which is a disk lock that actually bolts permanently onto the bike via the front caliper... we'll see how that goes. I expect I'll work through several iterations before the company is at a final-product stage. Can't give out any further details due to a non-disclosure agreement.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Glad to hear you are finally getting your parking area Marc.
                              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                              BMC Notorious 918 HT
                              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X