X

The do-it-all bike for grownups, my '05 Bandit 1200S

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The do-it-all bike for grownups, my '05 Bandit 1200S

The Bandit 1200S is my third bike. I started off with a GS500 then graduated to a Katana 750 (which I LOVED) and then changed for a black bandit. I have ridden numerous other bikes including a GSXR-1100W (last model) and a 2008 'Busa (incredible engine!). I also test-drove the new bandit 1250.

In my opinion, the '05 Bandit is one of the last real all-rounder bikes. It is also a very comfy machine and a joy to ride.

Engine
    --------
    The 1157cc Air/Oil cooled carbureted inline-4 that powers the bandit is certainly nothing new. It is mainly a larger bore, heavier/tougher everything version of the even older GSXR1100 engine (mid-80s version). Although it produces about 25% less top horsepower than the old racer engine, the Bandit's power plant is meatier in the low and mid-range. The detuning also makes it bulletproof.

It is a very pleasing engine. Ultra-smooth throttle response, torque aplenty over the whole (wide) powerband, and very strong in the second half of the meter. It lacks the afterburner-like punch you get at the very top from the GSX-Rs though.

The simplicity of the engine means that it is quite easy to service yourself with a minimum of special tools. About the only thing I get done at the dealer is carb sync, since I lack the needed tools and know-how.

It is generally recognized as one of the most trouble-free motorcycle powerplant ever made, with plenty of owners claiming very high mileage with no worries.

Transmission
    ------------
    Very effective precise and smooth Suzuki transmission. No worries here.

Could use a 6th gear to save on gas while cruising on the freeway but the current gearing of the 5-speed box seems just right, with a short first, strong second, short third and fourth and long tall fifth.

On engaging second gear, the big bandit easily pulls as much as the Katana engaging the third. (assuming 4K shifts in the city).

Chassis & Handling
    -------------------
    Although powerful, the Bandit is not a sportsbike. The heavy steel-tube double-cradle frame is nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done. Suspensions are way too soft on default settings but easily adjusted to do a reasonable job while preserving comfort.

The braking system is quite heavy-duty, with 6-piston calipers at the front, but still feels a bit soft. Higher quality brake pads and some tweaking might be all it needs though (haven't tried yet).

The bike steers very well and turns quicker than expected for a bike this size. The short wheelbase (56.3") certainly helps.

Ergonomics
    --------------------
    This is where the Bandit really shines. I'm 5'11" and 200lbs, and I thought the Katana's riding position was perfect. Well, the bandit's even better. It is roomier in every direction, especially with regards to footpeg placement, while remaining compact enough for precise control. You sit somewhat more upright, which improves vision in traffic and reduces tensions in the shoulders on long rides. Wind protection from the half-fairing is excellent and the wide engine shields your legs somewhat. Lower fairing kits are available and I have seen a few that were quite nice, although I prefer the black naked bike with golden pipes look myself.

This is definately a bike you can ride all day long (with breaks!) and enjoy on long haul trips.

With a set of hard bags from Givi and a Garmin Zumo GPS, It can be turned into a very effective light-tourer. Serious wanderers might want to add a Corbin seat or a taller windscreen. I find both unnecessary but would probable spring for heated grips to add a few weeks to my riding season.

Value
    --------------------
    Another strong point to be sure. A lot of bike for the money when new, and still a bargain when used.
    Cheap to run (regular gas, 45mpg), cheap to maintain (you can do almost everything at home), cheap to repair and cheap to insure. Tons of add-ons and enhancements available.

Conclusion
    --------------------
    With every new motorcycle on the market seemingly catering to an ever more sharply defined sub-market, the Bandit 1200S stands as one of the last examples of the Standard bike. From stunt bike, to dragster to canyon carver to daily commuter, to backroad rider to long distance tourer, it can do almost everything, and do it reasonably well.

With some adjustments and accessories you can easily tune it to YOUR riding activities.
    This is a bike that will not burn a hole in your pocket and will certainly put a smile on your face every time you ride.

Now if only spring could come faster...

Nice write up.

Originally posted by Tech View Post
    Now if only spring could come faster...
    Don't worry, it'll be here soon.

Comment

Very well done
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Just seen one with full fairings for the first time and it looked pretty good but I've always liked the naked look of the bandit.
        02 Katana 600 R.I.P

Comment

Glad you like it. The Bandit 1250 was on my short list. I was looking at all standard bikes, FZ1, Bandit, Z1000 and 919. All seem to be good all around bikes, was almost ready to get a Bandit but they don't make 919s anymore so they were on sale for cheap. Where you located? Spring is in full swing here in Central Texas mid 80s today.
          SFC Smith US Army Iraqi War Veteran.
          Honda 919 Rider

Comment

no pics?

Comment

Originally posted by tnez21 View Post
              no pics?
              I have posted pics before in another thread when I got the bike, but no bad in reposting I guess.

Bike when I got it, with full set of Givi Hard Bags. The other one is my Father-in-law's venerable (and top shape) '86 Suzuki Cavalcade.

Official Suzuki profile pic

Last edited by Tech; 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Not a sportbike? Well, I probably do need to get some rearsets to leave some footpeg on it...

Trail-braking on the edge of the tire. Wheee!

Last edited by SlipKid; 03-02-2009, 01:02 PM.
                '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

very nice bike. after reading your write up i want to go ride.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid View Post
                    Not a sportbike? Well, I probably do need to get some rearsets to leave some footpeg on it...

Trail-braking on the edge of the tire. Wheee!
                    Well, bikes can lean, that's the way they turn. Bandit is no exception.

Not a sportbike meant exactly that, not in the same league performance-wise as current generation sportbikes.

I guess it would do OK as an '80s sportbike.

Your pics are ROCKIN though!!

Comment

Hey , I have that same trunk !
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Not a sportbike meant exactly that, not in the same league performance-wise as current generation sportbikes.
                        As a serial Yamaha R1 owner (got pics on that too!), I can vouch for understanding what a sportbike is, and the differences between said motorcycles. That being said, it's more fun to ride around a GSXR1000-mounted squid on my Bandit than it is on the R1...

Also, a problem with the pics is you can't get a real idea of how fast the bike is going. It's not so much the lean that's impressive, but the corner speed!

You know, I think a Hayabusa shock is a bolt-on upgrade for your generation Bandit... That, and a set of stiffer fork springs will be helping it corner better as well!

Hey , I have that same trunk !
                        Ha! That's not a trunk, it's a Weber grill!
                        Last edited by SlipKid; 03-07-2009, 07:28 PM. Reason: added quotation
                        '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

To add to that do all bike I would have to vouch for the VFR750 I have. I love how smooth and how much low end the V4 has compared to the inlines I used to ride. To me it feels like a better balanced katana with a crappy seat. I fixed that though I got it reupholstered and had a gel insert put in and had them flatten it out some. From honda it had that I want to shove your guys into the tank shape. Now its nice and flat and feels perfect.

Comment

I had a '95 VFR750 for awhile, and it was truly an excellent bike. Especially once you got stiffer fork and shock springs on it. It was severely undersprung!

Anyway, ditto on the crappy seat, but I've sat on worse. Also, the bike handled well enough (maybe a little slow on turn-in), but what really gave the Bandit the edge (I actually had to choose between them) was the serious advantage in torque and power, and the fact that I thought it handled a bit more in a manner that suited me (after modifications). It was also easier to work on, a simpler design, and parts availability and cost were much better. The only real drawback for me was a relative lack of wind protection. You can get used to it, and maybe even like it on hot days though.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid View Post

Ha! That's not a trunk, it's a Weber grill!
                              Really ? It looks JUST like my cheapy E-bay trunk ....
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X