X

Castrol r 4 superbike oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castrol r 4 superbike oil

Hows the fully synthetic oil in these bikes since the oil changes say 6,000 miles i would think this oil would be the best / but maybe 3,000 to 5,000 miles between changes

it not full synthetic
    its just highly refined mineral oil like the syntec blend with a higher price tag.

their are better lubricants out there for the $$$
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Actually, in the USA and the UK, R4 is fully synthetic (although it was reformulated/renamed Castrol POWER RS R4 4T not that long ago). Note that the R4 was originally only offered in a 5w40 in the US; the new formulation is available in 5w40 and 10w50, and you should only run the 10w50 in the Kat.

Castrol RS GPS, ACT/Evo X-Tra 4T and RS V-Twin 4T are part-synthetic (synthetic blend), while "plain" Castrol 4T is their only dino oil.

Now, all that said, the life-blood of the Katana is the oil, and I would never recommend ANYONE go past 3500 miles on oil changes on it. Pushing out oil change intervals to 5k-6k miles would be fool-hearty and a good way to ruin your engine, especially if you overheat the engine at any point (which calls for an immediate oil change).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This oil was discused in another forum last year along with motul and harley oils and other castrol oils
        After reading all the msds and info from other obtained from Castrols customer service etc it was found that ALL of Castrols synthetic base stock were obtained by the same refining process. Because the highly refined oil was so radically changed it no longer resembled a mineral oil and could them be classed a true synthetic much like the been oils, pe's and poa's. Once they had the synthetic base stock they added different blends of esters and poa's to make it that much better. the reason fo this process was because they were able to cut the finished product cost by 1/3.
        they claimed in all thier testing the oils performed just as well as every other oil in its class
        Motul did really
        Harley oil was found to be Sunoco oil with 2x the price tag.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

Comment

I ran some longer drain intervals, but it was only when the bike was not going to see any short trips or traffic, and it was on Amsoil. Oil analysis showed that it was fine. OTOH, I put more miles on than the average rider, and very little of it is short trips. Figure my ride to work, which is where about half my mileage comes from, is 25 miles each way, average speed of 45-50mph (I'm not guessing, I've done the math) with 6 stoplights and 2 stop signs.

Now all that said, not knowing your riding habits, I would recommend sticking with the proper service intervals. For the average rider, you MIGHT save an oil change a year, and at that point, isn't piece of mind worth something? At 6000 miles a year, you would actually spend more money on oil analysis than on the oil you might be saving.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I don't know about the US but here in Canada Amsoil is $1 cheaper then the Mobil 1 4T

I'm a dealer for Belray, kendal, Motul, Motorex, Maxima, ans Amsoil.
            I used to be a dealer or was sponsored by Mobil, Conkiln, Produmax.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Well not trying to start a oil tread but are synthetic oils like torco fine for the clutch in respect to slippage or synthetic blends -- i know some clutches dont like synthetices

Comment

All clutches LOVE synthetic. True synthetics that is.. its the best thing for them
                What clutches do not like is anti friction modifiers and additives that are added to many synthetics and regular oils. Mostly automotive oil.
                Stick with motorcycle oils and find one that is JASO MA rated... they are safe for wet clutch use.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X