X

New kat owner with issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kat owner with issues

I just got into a *******ized project with an 1100. Its basically a 1100 frame with a gsxr 1000 subframe, gsxr 750 forks, and a swingarm with welded extensions and 750 rear rim. I have a 1100 katana motor and i have a set of mikuni carbs that came with it. After trying for hours to fit these carbs on, I have come to the realization that they probably are not the stock carbs. I called the previous owner and he told me that they are mikuni 34mm flatslides, is there anyway i can verify this by the numbers on the carbs? Also, if they are not the stock carbs, where is the best place to source a set of stock carbs because I do not really feel like retrofitting more parts to this project. Also, do any of you guys know the best place to source misc bolts and nuts because I am missing quite a few. Thank you guys very much for the help.

By the way, if anybody has any donation parts, I have a set of cams(not sure what they are from but I was told they are from a 1000 gsxr, havent had the time to verify) and a couple td04/teo4h turbos for trade or sale.

Welcome to KR and good luck with the project... Sounds very interesting.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks man, yeah its been a head ache since the time i started it. i had a 01 600 katana and enjoyed the hell out of it so i did not hesitate to pick up this project.

Comment

sounds like you got a handful. I'm also a Katana owner with issues. Welcome to KR tho
        I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
        --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

Welcome. This site is full of very knowledgable people. Sadly, I am not one of them.
          -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
          -My wife

Comment

thanks guys for the welcome, this project is a handfull but i think it will be nice to have a newer looking gsxr body powered by old school grunt. i think once i get it running i might adventure into building a turbo kit for it out of one of these td04's i got laying around. that should give me the power to go lay a smack down on one of these newer liter bikes.

Comment

I have a 92 1100 Katana and I recently replaced all of the plastic parts bolts with chrome bolts and a few in black. I bought them all at my local Ace Hardware.

For the bolts readily seen from the side I went with chrome and those that were down low and/or exposed to dirt and road tar, etc., I went with flat black.

My ACE had the options of button head bolts, slightly projected allen head ones and philips. I chose the allen variety to give a bullet effect. It's a personal preference thing though.

My ACE also has the chrome/black washers and plastic ones. So if your ACE is like mine, just write up your laundry list and head over that way.

I merely took one representative bolt of each size (diameter and thread pitch) and length with me, along with a notebook inwhich I had written how many of each I needed.

I had a problem fitting my Mikuni 36 mm carbs too. I had to use my high speed grinder to get the little bit of clearance I needed due to the slighter wider dimensions of the Mikunis.

Since I painted my KAT black, the chrome bolts look really good and stand out well. I first thought of a more stealthy look by using black bolts all around, but ended up opting for chrome.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by JAKE View Post
                I have a 92 1100 Katana and I recently replaced all of the plastic parts bolts with chrome bolts and a few in black. I bought them all at my local Ace Hardware.

For the bolts readily seen from the side I went with chrome and those that were down low and/or exposed to dirt and road tar, etc., I went with flat black.

My ACE had the options of button head bolts, slightly projected allen head ones and philips. I chose the allen variety to give a bullet effect. It's a personal preference thing though.

My ACE also has the chrome/black washers and plastic ones. So if your ACE is like mine, just write up your laundry list and head over that way.

I merely took one representative bolt of each size (diameter and thread pitch) and length with me, along with a notebook inwhich I had written how many of each I needed.

I had a problem fitting my Mikuni 36 mm carbs too. I had to use my high speed grinder to get the little bit of clearance I needed due to the slighter wider dimensions of the Mikunis.

Since I painted my KAT black, the chrome bolts look really good and stand out well. I first thought of a more stealthy look by using black bolts all around, but ended up opting for chrome.

Hope this helps.

Jake

yeah thanks for the advice, but im completely missing all the bolts in the first place so i dont have anything to take with me to ace to match up. more than likely ill be heading down to the fastener shop with the bike in the back so i can just test fit on site. my main concern is the engine mounting bolts along with the engine accesory mounting bolts. this bike is a mess right now and im working my butt off to try to get it completed my next two weeks home from work in the oil field. i think im gonna create a new intake with an elbow in it so i can mount this carbs because they rub the generator and they are too narrow to mount to the stock mounts.

Comment

Welcome, sounds like an interesting project you have there.

Originally posted by Sambo1987 View Post
                  I'm also a Katana owner with issues.
                  I knew that allready SamHam

Comment

Originally posted by Anoucka View Post
                    I knew that allready SamHam
                    She said it!
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You pick it up in New Orleans? I posted about a bike there...
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

the standard carbs for the gsx1100f are 34mm with a steel cap over the cv rubbers...

they "may" have been referred to as flatslides but as i've already said the standards are CV's, flatslides are mechanically operated slides, directly operated by the throttle cable and linkage and to the best of my knowledge come in Mikuni or RS flavours...

you wanna post a picture up of your carbs as that may get a better informed response to your original problem...

to verify the size of them measure the bore (cylinder head side) with a set of verniers
                        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Originally posted by dryosmosis View Post
                          yeah thanks for the advice, but im completely missing all the bolts in the first place so i dont have anything to take with me to ace to match up. more than likely ill be heading down to the fastener shop with the bike in the back so i can just test fit on site. my main concern is the engine mounting bolts along with the engine accesory mounting bolts.
                          I'm not the knowledgeable person that you seek, however, I recently completed a rebuild of a basket case 1100. My local True Value hardware store was a good source for metric screws, washers, and bolts. Most of the bolts and screws are 4, 6, and 8 mm. If you don't have sample to start with, you may have to pay OEM prices at BikeBandit.com to get the correct part. For some specialized items there is just no other option.

Good Luck on your project.

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
                            the standard carbs for the gsx1100f are 34mm with a steel cap over the cv rubbers...

they "may" have been referred to as flatslides but as i've already said the standards are CV's, flatslides are mechanically operated slides, directly operated by the throttle cable and linkage and to the best of my knowledge come in Mikuni or RS flavours...

you wanna post a picture up of your carbs as that may get a better informed response to your original problem...

to verify the size of them measure the bore (cylinder head side) with a set of verniers

sorry to sound like an idiot, but what does cv stand for? i know for sure that they are mikuni carbs and the previous owner did state that they were 34mm, they just seem to be about a quarter inch too narrow on either side. the center carbs line up fine but the bowl on the third carb from the left rubs significantly against the generator top bolt. after dealing with a couple of other issues with this bike, im almost determined that they are stock carbs from another bike and he did not know that.

Comment

CV stands for constant velocity if they are mikuni 34mm cv's they are not flatside carbs they are semi flatside

The inlet spacing of oil cooled suzukis is the same, only the inlet rubbers vary, so if your carbs do not line up either they have been re-spaced, they are not originally from a suzuki or the inlet rubbers have been changed or fitted incorrectly

tone
                              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                              X