Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Some pics of a hole being filled/removed and other stuff.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pics of a hole being filled/removed and other stuff.

So I posted a bit back about this hole here...

Was wondering what it was for, and the consensus was to check the fluid level for the rear brakes. Well, gonna move that anyways as part of my over bike modifications coming up, and don't need a hole there.

Broke out the can of liquid ABS and started on filling a few holes, including that one on my plastics. BTW, you can pick this up at Lowes for like $6. Can is still over half full, and this would be the 3rd set of fairings fixed.

Started out with roughing up the hole edges.

Then cut out a piece of ABS from a small sheet I had laying around to fit the hole.

Applied the Liquid ABS

Waited for it to flash over about 30 mins, then applied some to the back as well. Then waited for it to mostly cure for about 24 hours. Sanded it down partially to remove the shiny surface and allowed it to cure some more for about 3-4 hours. The shiney surface will slow down the curing in my experiance keeping it soft and spongy, and i'm going to be sanding it flush when it is cured.

Finished sanding it down so that it pretty well flush with the rest of the piece. You can still see the piece is wet here. I wet sanded most of the times to keep the dust down in the work area. I really hate having to wear a mask while sanding, and it's much easier to clean up when you don't have paint dust everywhere. Time to prime it with filler primer.

Here you can still see the work area is a bit ruff under the primer. Time to wet sand it down.

Since this is the first wet sand over the primer, I wanna see if any other areas need work as well. A light dusting of a different color primer, here I used black, before sanding helps to show you any low spots or ripples you need to sand out.

After the first wet sand, you can see there is still a little work to be done on the hole filled spot.

Add another coat of primer and wet sand once more lightly. And here you see it is blended in nicely and no more hole.

This is just my initial prep for paint. I still have a few more things to do. I'll probably be doing a futher modification on the lower edges before I'm done, but this puts it alot closer to being ready for paint soon.

My painter will do another coat of primer, full wet sand down, then a sealer coat, before adding color. Pretty sure it's going to be a nice blue when I'm done.

Here is a pic of some of the other parts hanging after being primed the first time.

I've modified the front fender as some of you might notice. Here is a closer look at it. Left side of the pic goes to the front of the bike.

And here is an "in progress" as I'm filling the large turn signal holes on the main fairings.

Looking forward to getting all this sanding done...

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-18-2009, 01:22 AM. Reason: missed a pic
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Very cool! I can't wait to see it finished, painted, and back on the bike.
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

wish i had found this before fixing up ebay farings but will get them fixed up for the next painting for shore

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

honestly though, the title was a bit misleading. HEHEHE!
        2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
        BMC Notorious 918 HT
        2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Post revival!

Kreylyn, what was the plastic you used to fill the hole? You said it was a sheet of ABS you had "sitting around" Can you be more specific? I'm redoing my bodywork in the next few weeks, and I'm going to reinforce the road rash damage from the PO. I was going to use fiberglass, but this seems better. I'll be reinforcing from behind.
          My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
            Post revival!

Kreylyn, what was the plastic you used to fill the hole? You said it was a sheet of ABS you had "sitting around" Can you be more specific? I'm redoing my bodywork in the next few weeks, and I'm going to reinforce the road rash damage from the PO. I was going to use fiberglass, but this seems better. I'll be reinforcing from behind.
            Sure...

My brother in law does custom car interiors, and uses ABS plastic as the base board material, so I had some scraps of it laying around to play with just for these occasions.

Now, that doesn't help you, so... You can find ABS plastic sheets at most any materials store locally. I'm talking places that are specific for offering steel, glass, plastics, so on. Normally they will be listed primarily as steel venders in the phone book, but they should carry other materials as well.

Prices for a sheet will vary, but if you got a full 4X8 sheet in 1/4 this ABS, I believe your talking around $50-60. I'll bet they have some cut smaller, and if it's just a scrap size you need you might come up real cheap.

As for the fiberglass... please be aware that fiberglass does not react the same way as ABS. They expand/contract differently to temp fluctuations, and respond differently to flexing and vibrations. As such.. what starts out as nice smooth combine jobs, ends up resulting in the fiberglass and ABS seperating eventually. Maybe not for several months, even a year down the road, but it will happen. This will cause cracks to appear in the paint, if not full seperation of the patch/piece.

There have been some recent posts about other options as well, but I have not tested them. I did test the fiberglass, and it did seperate 3 months after doing it with just minimal riding.

Hope that helps...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Can you recommend a way to build up the plastic where it's scraped from the pavement? Will bondo work, or is there something better.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
                Can you recommend a way to build up the plastic where it's scraped from the pavement? Will bondo work, or is there something better.
                If there is no hole, just spread the ABS cement over, allow 24 hours to cure, shape sand. If they are really deep, do it in layers for the best results and repeat as nessasary.

If there is a hole, I would do as shown above...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

For ABS, black ABS sewer pipe from a hardware store will do the trick.
                  For body filler to skim over repairs to make them smooth and transparent and to fill minor scrapes - Evercoat Poly-Flex - http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=8
                  For reinforcing from behind, I us aluminum screen and embed it into the plastic.
                  Some of my plastic repair ....http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...plastic+repair
                  Last edited by Astro4x4; 02-11-2009, 05:27 PM.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

*tags for later*

The pics aren't showing up where I am now.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Very Cool
                      Currently Riding:
                      1995 Katana 600
                      V&H Exhaust
                      Jet Kit

SOLD
                      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                      1987 XV700 Bobber
                      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post

honestly though, the title was a bit misleading. HEHEHE!
                        I second that... Total bait and switch...

Comment

good job on the fill, I'm having to fill some holes after a wreck on my zx6r. The ones I'm doing are much smaller though.
                          1978 Suzuki GS750
                          1995 Suzuki Katana 600
                          2007 Kawaski ZX6R

www.bikesoftheworld.com

Comment

I'm using Home Depot as my supply - they sell ABS drain boxes ( for landscape drainage) in their garden center. $/square foot is more expensive than a sheet, but much more convenient.

Comment

I'm going to pay a visit to the Depot as well... I'll see if there's anything there I can use.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X