X

Adive/tips need please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adive/tips need please

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone. I'm new to the site as of today. I bought a 1997 Kat 600 today, not running. I bought it knowing it was not running, as per it was stated it only needed a fuel filter. After I got home, and started tearing into my new toy, I stumbled across this site after hitting a few spots needing guidance. I would like to thank everyone thus far of what I have already learned just by lurking and searching the pages.

My problem. As per stated already, it was said it had a bad fuel filter, and he told me he never changed the plugs. I started by pulling the tank and plugs. The tank was full of nasty old tarnished gas. I fought with the tank, and managed to get it cleaned up, cleaned the filter on the petcock, disassembled the petcock and un-gunked it. Replaced the plugs which were quite old and saturated. I put the entire thing back together (which I was in the cold, and it's pretty darn cold in Oklahoma right now, none the less at 11 at night), went to crank on it, still what I thought was no fuel. Came back to the forum, looked around some more threads, and decided I would give it a little shot of go juice (starting fluid) to see where I was standing.

Very small shot of starting fluid, cranked right up (after by passing a falty neutral safety switch) but died as soon as the starting fluid was burned up. After scratching my head for a few minutes, I thought the best route would be to pull the carbs, and check to see if the jets/floats were gummed up. Pulled the carb, full of good, clean fuel. I noticed as I pulled the tank though, with the petcock in ON (downward) position, fuel still came out of the petcock. If I am not mistaken, shouldn't it only supply fuel under a vaccuum? So, now I am wondering if possibly I am flooding it out with a bad petcock valve.

The bike is getting air, checked the air filter. Getting good spark, and good compression. I can't seem to track down my fuel problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next step should be? I still have all the body off of it, tank is mostly off, and haven't put the air box back in due to me getting into a fight with it (any advice for putting it back on in one piece and keeping my sanity in the process?) so I am open to any suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Ok.. Slow down a little, your doing ten things at once.

First, the reason the bike wont start is the carbs are hosed. Yeah, that gunk that was in the tank is also in the smaller passageways inside the carbs. Carbs 101 http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63557 will tell you exactly what you need to do to get this corrected.

Yes, you problem is in the carbs, and Yes, you will need to synch them later.

As for the Petcock, you are right. Fuel shouldn't be flowing unless its in the "Pri" position, which you said it wasn't. Might need a rebuild kit for it. TheCyberPoet on here sells those kits cheap. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/

Now, Since the bowls were filled with fresh gas, it doesn't mean to say they possibly didn't overfill. Check your oil. See if it smells like gas. If it does?... dump it.

But in any and all cases above, you need to focus your attention on the carbs. Specifically the Pilot Jets and passageways. After all, thats what lets gas through to start your bike.

Take a small step back, Breath, Its winter, you still have plenty of time to work on the bike. If you break something or have questions about something, post them up. We'll help you along the way.

Finally.. Welcome to KatRiders. Stick around this site. We know what we are talking about.
    Last edited by Newbie2it; 12-22-2008, 02:28 AM. Reason: Added a linkie-dink
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

pre 98 Katana's do not have in line fuel filters, you mean the top of the petcock in the tank?

Comment

i install the airbox to the carb before putting them in the frame dont think it will run with out the airbox anyway

Comment

The carbs may have good clean fuel in them now but could be gummed up inside the jets and passages from the old fuel.
          I would recommend you remove the carbs agian remove the jets and clean them properly with a good carb cleaner, make sure the passages are all clean.
          if it will fire up on starting fluid but not run on its own chances are the pilot jets are plugged up
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            pre 98 Katana's do not have in line fuel filters, you mean the top of the petcock in the tank?

Yes, you are correct. I apologize for not making myself more clear on that. The filter I was calling the fuel filter is the filter on top of the petcock in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by excat View Post
              Pulled the carb, full of good, clean fuel.
              If you only pulled one, actually you should do it anyway, synch your carbs.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Wow. I am having exactly the same problem, but havn't had time to post about it . Lucky to stumble upon it. And YES it is VERY cold here in Oklahoma. I emphasize that only because I can't stand cold weather. Thanks excat for posting exactly what I should have.
                Keep the rubber side down

Comment

Welcome to KR and good luck with the mechanical issues. You've come to the right place!
                  -
                  -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Welcome to KR and hope you get your ride fixed soon.
                    sigpic
                    1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Originally posted by ericzx7 View Post
                      Wow. I am having exactly the same problem, but havn't had time to post about it . Lucky to stumble upon it. And YES it is VERY cold here in Oklahoma. I emphasize that only because I can't stand cold weather. Thanks excat for posting exactly what I should have.
                      No problem my friend. Hope you get yours running as well I do mine. I checked further into my carbs, everything is sparkling clean. I'm going to go up to Suzuki tomorrow and talk to them, and buy either a new petcock or rebuild kit for mine, and go from there. I HOPE that this is just a flooding issue. Then I'm going to talk to them about syncing the carbs since i've never done that before.

Also, is anyone very familiar with all the safety switches on a 97, 600? My neutral safety switch is out, so I have it by passed right now so I can crank on it, but after I pulled my tank and air box, it would no longer crank. Is there a safety switch on the air box that prevents cranking when it isn't on?

Comment

Air box nor gas tank removal will prevent said bike from cranking. You've got other issues going on as well. Keep that in mind while your trouble shooting.

As for the rebuild for the petcock, Did you give TheCyberpoet a shot yet for supplies? Hes going to be cheaper then the stealership. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/ Yeah, Thats his site, Hes an active member and will be able to save you some coin.

Your choice.

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Do you know where I would find them on that website? I must be really tired or blind, I'm not finding anything on the page you posted. Thx.

Comment

I'm in the process of ordering the rebuild kit now from him, along with some filters and filter wrench from him. I called Suzuki today, and talked to them about what they charge to go through the carbs for me since I have a lack of time to do it myself. He said they charge $170 PER CARB!!! I about flipped.

Upon my primary inspection, of just removing the top and bottom caps of the carbs, everything "appeared" to be in full functioning order, and not gummed up. I went and read the article about doing a carb job, and it came to my attention that there may have been some areas I didn't inspect as well as I should have having known they are there now.

So hopefully with a little bit of luck and probably cussing and whining, I can get it all done, get the petcock rebuilt, and have some answers.

Also, I was checking into carb sync tools. Does $100 sound about right for a decent one? I believe I can spare that money as compared to taking it to the dealership and having them do it.

Comment

Pilot jets are the first victims of blockage since the opening is extremely small. Don't use wire of any type to clean anything on the carbs, you'll distort the metered openings. Compressed airs fine, stiff fishing line works too. Theres lots of tiny passageways to clean out.

And once you cleaned the carbs to your satisfaction, Do it again, and again. Third times usually the charm to get the carbs totally cleaned.

As for the synch tool, I think Cyber sells them also.

Comment

Working...
                              X