X

why does everyone hate the katana so much

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does everyone hate the katana so much

I sometimes visit the gsxr forum and the cbr forum, and there are alot of threads just dogging the katana, or as they put it the kanotuna, what ever that means, but what is the deal, I really like the katana, its a comfortable ride, thats got just enough power for me, I dont need need to to prove how big my D!%& is by going 150 mph, or doing wheelies on the street, watching out for cages is hard enough just riding, anyhoo, im just wondering why the katana is so looked down on.

cause it aint new... hasn't really changed much since it's 2nd generation...

When you don't see it on TV in commercials it must not be that great a bike right... At least that's what the manufacturer will want you to believe, so you'll go out and buy what they make the most $ on...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Yup .. same in the ATV world with the venerable Yamaha Warrior 350. Just because the tech in it was old (87) and hadn't been updated in eons (until they turned into a damn raptor clone) .. it was considered junk, no worth buying. I loved mine. Comfortable. Plenty of power (thing could do 110km/h) for most useres. Just because it wasn't the newest thing out .. Like you .. I didn't need a Raptor 660 or YFZ 450 to show how big my willy was ... What I also liked about the Warrior was you never had to guess what it was .. those bug headlights were unique and stylish (to me) ... enjoy your ride and ignore the nay-sayers!
      2008 ZZR 600 (His)
      Black
      Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
      Red
      Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

you answered your own question..
        I really like the katana, its a comfortable ride, thats got just enough power for me, I dont need need to to prove how big my D!%& is by going 150 mph, or doing wheelies on the street
        Kids now a days think they have to be able to power up wheelies, and have the fastest, newest bike out there.

I dont give a rats rear end what anyone thinks about my bike. I can ride 300 miles and at the most have a sore rear end. I would like to see you ride 300 miles on a gixxer and be comfy.
        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

because ppl are so dam concerened with looking cool. and most gsxr guys only ride to the closest taco bell for bike night. to tell lies about how cool they are and how fast they ride. i have rode with gsxr guys who blast down the straights and when the first curve is spoted they hit the brakes so hard i have had to dodge them through the curves.

Comment

Forget about it. Anyone that gives you crap about your bike is just posing anyway. Real riders that care about riding and having fun dont care what you ride.
            sigpic

My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/twotonevert

Comment

It's never the bike, but the RIDER THAT MATTERS!
              sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
                because ppl are so dam concerened with looking cool. and most gsxr guys only ride to the closest taco bell for bike night. to tell lies about how cool they are and how fast they ride. i have rode with gsxr guys who blast down the straights and when the first curve is spoted they hit the brakes so hard i have had to dodge them through the curves.

Originally posted by GSXF View Post
                It's never the bike, but the RIDER THAT MATTERS!

This is pretty much my take on it.
                Last edited by CenCalKat; 11-23-2008, 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                BMC Notorious 918 HT
                2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

They hate on us because all the chicks dig Katanas and those who ride them

Comment

In our riding group, I've actually seen guys with a GSXR750, an R1, a ZX-12R and a Busa all go close to 400 miles on a day ride without complaining. But yes a lot of people to talk a lot more trash than they should. The Kat may be old and use out-dated technology, but they are still good handling bikes that are more comfortable to ride than the newer SS bikes. It's not like they are as slow and handle as bad as the old CB450's, CX500's, or Seca 550's lol.
                    John,
                    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cmb7472 View Post
                      I sometimes visit the gsxr forum and the cbr forum, and there are alot of threads just dogging the katana, or as they put it the kanotuna, what ever that means, but what is the deal, I really like the katana, its a comfortable ride, thats got just enough power for me, I dont need need to to prove how big my D!%& is by going 150 mph, or doing wheelies on the street, watching out for cages is hard enough just riding, anyhoo, im just wondering why the katana is so looked down on.

Okay, as a realitively new Kat owner, I can explain a bit I think. Post 98s are considered "girls bikes" and are usually panned for being over-weight and under powered.

I would have to agree with the wieght issue, and I am not very fond of the post styling plastics either (please don't hate)

just saying from another perspective- but I am a wieght nazi when it comes to bikes.

Not so much HP, but weight is valid, and, in fact, Suzuki in general doesn't pay close enough attention to the portliness of thier bikes- look at the wieght on the B-King or even the new GSXR.

I ride on average 20-30 different bikes a year over 100 miles because of my business, and have rode and tested a great deal many bikes.

Suzuk's make enormous power, but usually are ungodly heavy in class.

The post 98 styling I don't hate, but I am not a fan either.

I think most of the criticism is aimed at the post models as well, I have never heard it pointed at the pre- or GS series Katanas, or if it was, I haven't picked that up.

Hope that helps?

Comment

i don't actually "hate" any bikes, but to my eye the oil cooled Katana must be one of the ugliest bikes about (on par with the cbr600 steelie for looks) and the later update with the huuuuge indicators did it no favours...

i'm not really a fairings type of bike rider usually (although i do own an old gsxr) but to me the oilcooled katana is a bit like porridge to look at
                        it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
                          i don't actually "hate" any bikes, but to my eye the oil cooled Katana must be one of the ugliest bikes about (on par with the cbr600 steelie for looks) and the later update with the huuuuge indicators did it no favours...

i'm not really a fairings type of bike rider usually (although i do own an old gsxr) but to me the oilcooled katana is a bit like porridge to look at
                          I like the looks of the Katana, both for it's smoother clean lines compared to the sharpe edged looks of the new SS bikes, and because it doesn't look so similar to any other bikes out there that it's hard to tell what it is. Strip the strip all the stickers and logo's off GXSR600, R6, CBR600RR and ZX6 down and paint them all the same color, and sometimes it might be hard to tell which is which lol.
                          John,
                          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                          sigpic

Comment

+1 ^^
                            2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                            Black
                            Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                            Red
                            Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Heavy, slow, ugly....

And sorry I just dont get the seat cowls on Kats, your not fooling anybody, its still a Kat

They are fine for what they were made for, but a Katana is not a sportbike. Its more of a sport touring bike.

I rode one for a year and liked it, it was great for long trips and cruising but it does not come close to any new ss bike

And be honest everybody on here that does not have a ss bike wants one! Thats why I sold my Kat, I was ready to move on and I am glad I did, its like night and day
                              25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

Working...
                              X