X

Alternator output

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator output

Does anybody know the alternator output for the 1100's I'd like to add some driving lights and some heated gear hook-ups and need to know how many watts I have available to play with.

I am finding conflicting info on this subject also -
    I found this on the bandit alternator
    The stock Bandit 1200 alternator has a power output of ~405watts at 5000RPM. This would put a theoretical limit of 405W / 12volts = 33.75Amps.
    and then I found this on the Katana alternator
    Electrical system 12V 12AH battery
    280W alternator
    QH 60/55W headlamp
    Looking in the manual you are using about 60w for the headlight, 30w for the taillight brakelight and 25 for the turnsignals - the is no power consumption listed for the electronic ignition but allowing 100w would leave you a minimum of about 65w to play with (if it was the small 280w alternator).
    If you try to add too much you will know it because the electronic ignition will cause the motor to pop and crackle and just run poorly in general. Just guessing I would say you probably have about 100w available for extra electrical equipment before you run into trouble and need to beef upthe alternator system.
    hope this helped ya

Keep it upright and keep you @ss behind ya

Comment

Wow he knows his crap huh...Anyways I have heated grips and leds on mine and it runs no problem , However I have noticed on all my bikes that they generally have poor charging systems anyone know why? At idle On my zx the headlight power goes with the engine idle kinda annoying sitting at a light
      1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
      2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
      sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
      Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
      A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

Wow he knows his crap huh...Anyways I have heated grips and leds on mine and it runs no problem ,
        Originally posted by quik89Kat View Post
        However I have noticed on all my bikes that they generally have poor charging systems anyone know why? At idle On my zx the headlight power goes with the engine idle kinda annoying sitting at a light

I think it's to do with the large possible RPM range compared to a car and current generation being related to rotational speed. The alternator will be set up to give it's maximum ouput high in the rev range maybe 10k rpm where as a car altenator might be 5k rpm.
        They both idle around 1k rpm, so the bike alternator will be at less than 10% design speed at idle while a car's altenator will close to 20% - allowing for internal losses which will be basically a fixed percentage, say 5%, i'm guessing that the average bike alternator can only supply possibly 5% of it's rated power at idle while a car alternator might give 15%....
        These numbers are only guesses to show the idea, also there's efficiency curves and other junk too..

Hope thats kinda helpful.
        Black 1995 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
        X