X

Perma Coil - WTF !@#$%

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perma Coil - WTF !@#$%

Very excited that my perma coil set was over nighted to me, so I can finally repair my 4 valve cover stripped bolts. After drilling, (9/32 for m7- 1.0) tapping (3 times, as suggested by other posts) using threadlock, oil, dry, still all I get are stretched out inserts that won't catch the thread.

Has anyone else had this experience?

My insertion tool slips into the insert without threading into it, the lip on the end catches the inserts well, but they will not thread in, so I can move on with my life.

Any thoughts on Permatex thread repair?

So you drilled? if so, what size drill bit? then you tried to insert the new threads? what size threads?

Comment

I bought the m7x1.0 kit for the cam caps, I drilled 9/32" as per the instructions, tapped with the tap in the kit, 3 times to be extra clean, and can't get an insert to thread in without stretching or damaging my newly tapped hole, I have tried it on two cam caps.

Comment

Sounds like the insertion tool is the wrong size. It should thread into the insert with very little play.

Compare the insertion tool to the bolt from the motor. They should be the same size and thread pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by sxnpntr View Post
          I bought the m7x1.0 kit for the cam caps, I drilled 9/32" as per the instructions, tapped with the tap in the kit, 3 times to be extra clean, and can't get an insert to thread in without stretching or damaging my newly tapped hole, I have tried it on two cam caps.
          Was the tap a bottom tap? ie no taper and flat on the bottom?

If no, you may need to get a bottom tap in that size.

Comment

The insert tool is stamped m7x1 and it matches the bolts, the tap is tapered with a flat bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by sxnpntr View Post
              The insert tool is stamped m7x1 and it matches the bolts, the tap is tapered with a flat bottom.
              Than get a bottom tap and try again.

Comment

Did you countersink the hole before tapping? Also you cannot get a tap from just anyone for a permacoil as they are STI taps which are NOT the size they say they are. The size stamped on them is for the thread being repaired not the actual tap itself. Remember the STI taps are larger as they are tapping for the wire diameter on the insert itself.

Tmod

Comment

NO, i just drilled with the 9/32. Why would a bottom tap make a difference? Can I countersink after the fact?

Comment

A bottom tap has almost no taper and cuts the threads almost to the full depth near the very end of the tap.

A regular taper tap has a much longer taper. In a shallow hole like the one you are trying to fix won't cut threads deep enough for the insert to fit properly.

If it was a through hole where you could feed the tap all the way through it wouldn't matter.

Comment

Unless I am misunderstanding he is having problems getting it started which a bottom tap will not help at all, Yes you can put a slight chamfer on afterwards. Very slight though as you just need it to guide the insert.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                        Unless I am misunderstanding he is having problems getting it started which a bottom tap will not help at all, Yes you can put a slight chamfer on afterwards. Very slight though as you just need it to guide the insert.

Tmod
                        I was just answering his question about the types of taps.

He orig. said the insertion tool just slid into the insert. If it is the right size tool it may be that the inserts are the wrong size.

I would grab one of the bolts and see if it fits the insert correctly.

Comment

Depending on what kind of insertion tool you recieved with the kit there would be different methods of installation. If your install tool just looks like a threaded rod with a little catch on the end to hold the insert tang then: you will have to hold the insert in your fingers so it doesn't spin on the tool and spin the tool to tighten and constrict the insert around the threads of the tool. Then While holding it still tightly sprung around the tool, try to thread it into the hole. When the insert is compressed or sprung or constricted (however you want to say it) around the tool the outside diameter is made smaller thus making it easier to install. If you do indeed have the other style tool (the threaded rod inside a long sleeve)then it already tightens the insert around the threaded portion for you. In that case, you would place the insert in the tool and thread it through untill about 1/2 to 1 threads are sticking out and then try to spin it into the hole. As previously stated, chamfering the top of the hole helps tremendously. Just make sure that after you chamfer, you run the tap down the hole again for good measure. I hope all of this makes sense. Good luck.

Here are some helpfull links

Last edited by Rothman; 11-01-2008, 07:28 PM. Reason: Added links
                          Some people carry on
                          Some just stay right where they are
                          Our worlds divide

Comment

just a reminder, you can prolly get new cam caps from Arsenic and avoid the whole drill, tap, coil mess
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by JetDoc View Post
                              I was just answering his question about the types of taps.

He orig. said the insertion tool just slid into the insert. If it is the right size tool it may be that the inserts are the wrong size.

I would grab one of the bolts and see if it fits the insert correctly.
                              Actually I was referring to GSXfs600 post on using a bottom tap to correct the problem.

I would also recommend Time-Sert to repair stuff like that as IMO has a better thread repair than do the coil inserts.

Tmod
                              Last edited by Tmod; 11-01-2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X