Katana of the Month  September 2008  mreedohio

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension

All About Brakes & Suspension Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #71
Pugga
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggy View Post
If the existing springs are not calibrated for your weight, then yes.
If the springs are old and worn, then yes.
If the oil is old, then yes.

Make sure and use new fork oil seals. I went with Suzuki's own fork seals. I have put 11,000 miles since the rebuild and have not had any issues with the fork oil seals.
Thanks for the info! I'll give it a go. I could honestly answer yes to all 3 of those... I'm on a 2002 with all original equipment, oil included. I think I'll skip the emulators though, that seems like it might be beyond my comfort level at the moment (plus it's riding season and I can't have the bike down that long!).
Pugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #72
squiggy
Kat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I could honestly answer yes to all 3 of those.
haha - I know what you mean.

Quote:
I think I'll skip the emulators though, that seems like it might be beyond my comfort level at the moment.
The emulators are not a necessary upgrade, but they are a nice to have.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #73
Pugga
Katrider

Squiggy, last couple question for you. I did the spring rate calculator on Racetech's website and came up right in the middle of 2 spring rates, the .90 and the .95. With your .90 springs, do you have any regrets or wish you'd gone with stiffer springs? I have been losing weight, I'm at 185 and dropping so I'll get down to a weight where their calculator will tell me I need .90 kg/mm springs but just wondering if they're stiff enough or too stiff from someone who has them. I'll be doing springs only, no cartridges yet.

Lastly, did you do anything to the rear or just upgrade the forks and still on a stock rear?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #74
squiggy
Kat Master

Quote:
do you have any regrets or wish you'd gone with stiffer springs?
If it was me, I'd go with the stiffer springs as I still have some fork dive and I have a lot of other add-ons to my bike that the calculator can not factor in, but that's just me.

The purpose of springs, or even the whole suspension for that matter, is not to provide soft cushion comfort but to keep the wheel(s) on the road, to aid in providing traction for the tires.

Quote:
Lastly, did you do anything to the rear or just upgrade the forks and still on a stock rear?
A few years back I bought one of the last remaining Ohlins rear shock available.

The 750 rear shock is fully adjustable. What can be done is have Tmod (Terry) either rebuild yours, if you have a 750, or purchase one from him. He cab custom rebuild the OEM shock to your needs. He is a member here and you can PM if you wish. He is active in this suspension section as that is what he deals with.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #75
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

Try contacting resident suspension guru tmod. IN fact he might be able to get you a better price on the parts.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #76
Pugga
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggy View Post
If it was me, I'd go with the stiffer springs as I still have some fork dive and I have a lot of other add-ons to my bike that the calculator can not factor in, but that's just me.

The purpose of springs, or even the whole suspension for that matter, is not to provide soft cushion comfort but to keep the wheel(s) on the road, to aid in providing traction for the tires.

A few years back I bought one of the last remaining Ohlins rear shock available.

The 750 rear shock is fully adjustable. What can be done is have Tmod (Terry) either rebuild yours, if you have a 750, or purchase one from him. He cab custom rebuild the OEM shock to your needs. He is a member here and you can PM if you wish. He is active in this suspension section as that is what he deals with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves View Post
Try contacting resident suspension guru tmod. IN fact he might be able to get you a better price on the parts.
Once again, thanks guys, looks like I need to contact Tmod! I'll shoot him a message and see what kind of magic he can work with my suspension.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #77
beatup86
Squid

so i have a question, im going to be rebuilding a set of forks soon, and i will not be installing emulators. do i still need to dothe whole brazing thing or is there a set i dont need to do?
beatup86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #78
cintidude04
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

eBay ID: cintidude04

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatup86 View Post
so i have a question, im going to be rebuilding a set of forks soon, and i will not be installing emulators. do i still need to dothe whole brazing thing or is there a set i dont need to do?
If you are not installing the emulators, why would you be posting in an informative thread about installing them?

Oh and no, obviously you don't need to braze the damper rod if you are not installing emulators.
http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
cintidude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #79
beatup86
Squid

posting cause it said & REBUILD FORKS. and i need to rebuild them, so hence the question.
beatup86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #80
cintidude04
Kat Legend
Supporting Member

eBay ID: cintidude04

Sounds like you need to check out threads like this then. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120255
cintidude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension