KOTM Aug 2007 chriskat1100

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension

All About Brakes & Suspension Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
Purplehaze
Tank Slapper

Default Let's talk about (yes): Fork Seals

Alright Katriders,

Getting my tires swapped out, so I'm currently dismounting my rear and then will do the front. During the front tire swap I also plan to tackle the slow seeping out of my Fork Seals.

I've looked thoroughly over Black_Peter's video tut, various threads, and online resources/tuts. Still a bit unsure as to the process.

Firstly, I understand I'll have to get the tubes fully off the bike. Pry carefully under the dust seal and slide it off, then tackle the grooved clip. Fully remove the top end, drain the fluid. Then take out the bottom bolt inside the axle-run. Then hyper-extend the fork and break the seal.

Do I have to tackle the rest of it if all I want to do is replace the oil and dust seals? I intend to take a peek at the bushings while I'm there but I do I need to fully disassemble the forks if all I want to do is use the old seals to drive in the new ones?

Also, I'm still unsure as to how to measure the fork oil. How much, how to measure? Various sources showed different methods and reasonings for different levels.

As always, thanks in advance Katriders.
Purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
92xjunker
neo-maxie-zoomed-dweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

If your changing the oil and seals, why not completely clean and inspect them properly? You can just change the seals and oil but, what's going to be left in there when new clean oil is added.
86 HONDA 500 Interceptor
USAF Veteran
92xjunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
mammut89
Kat Master

eBay ID: mammutit89

the easiest and safest way to get the oil seal out without damaging the stanchion is to completely take out the stanchion by punching it a couple of times outwards and the oil seal follows it out. And once youve done that every part is out and can be inspected. I dont know how you are planing on taking out the oil seals otherwise...

so basically there is only one way to do this

mammut89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Kreylyn
Kat King
Supporting Member

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Just a couple of things...

1. If you don't have access to an impact wrench, loosen that bolt on the bottom holding down the damping rod BEFORE you take them fully off the bike. Otherwise, it's a real pain in the arse. If you have an impact, it's no problem to do after with that.

2. Fluid is going to be aprox 16oz each, but... what you would do to get exact is reassemble partially including the new seals, but leaving the spring and top spacer out. With the tube compressed, measure from the top of the tube lip to the fluid level. Should be 110-115mm depending on how stiff you want it.

3. Be absolutely sure when the tubes are off that you roll them on a flat surface and verify they are straight.

4. You do really want to go ahead and do a full disassembly and cleaning to remove the old rancid oil. It's going to be nasty stuff if the forks have not had the fluid changed in a while.

5. Make sure you have space to lay out parts as you diassemble the forks in order, in a long line of how they go back together. Makes the process really easy to keep up with and not miss putting something back in.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Purplehaze
Tank Slapper

Mammut, that bit was the hyperextending the fork to push out the seals.

You gents make a fine point about all the rancid oil. If it's on the run with everything the previous owner left it's probably NEVER been done. Thanks for the info on the measuring.
Purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
raidinmd
Katrider
Supporting Member

bumpin with a new question, i'll be replacing my seals and oil soon as well, I know the book says 10w but anyone else run something different for good reasons?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
92xjunker
neo-maxie-zoomed-dweebie
Supporting Member

15 here with a full racetech suspension, weeeeeeee

Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-05-2014 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #8
raidinmd
Katrider
Supporting Member

yeah, not gonna shell out for that, my forks have been seeping since I got it last year lol, I wish I had the money =\
raidinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
rschlegel
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehaze View Post
, I'm still unsure as to how to measure the fork oil. How much, how to measure? Various sources showed different methods and reasonings for different levels.

As always, thanks in advance Katriders.
Motion pro makes a fork oil tool. It is just a syringe with measurements on a metal tube. You set a ring at the correct level and when you can't suck out any more it is at the level you set. It makes it easy to get both forks to the same level.
rschlegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
92xjunker
neo-maxie-zoomed-dweebie
Supporting Member

Or get a measuring cup and pour in what the manual says to.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Rolling Stock > All About Brakes & Suspension