X

katana 600 or 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana 600 or 750

I'm getting a new bike which i'm going to use for touring and commuting, i've decided on getting a katana as they are pretty cheap to insure and run but i'm not sure which one to get.

I'm planning on getting the newer model, prob a 2001ish bike, but i have a few questions which may affect my decision,
    1. What MPG do you get from either bike with gentle town riding and medium speed touring (60-80mph) on either bike. A friend used to have a 600 model and reconed he got a bit over 60mpg.
    2. How much faster is the 750 over the 600 (i've read the midrange is alot better)? are there any other benefits of the 750 other than engine size?
    3. Anything else that might affect my decision?

Thanks for any help in advance

if u have riding experience get the 750. not so much faster just more of a powerband, youll shift alot less often etc.

Comment

The 750 has a more upright riding position. I wish I had the 750. The 600 no way does it get 60 mpg. I get 38 to 42 mpg depending on how I've been driving, but my highway cruise speeds are between 80-90 mph.

There is not much of a power difference on paper between the two bikes, but I think the 750 has a more comfortable riding position thanks to the higher bars (what like 1" higher?). Then there's the better powerband as well, not like the 600 is slow or anything.

Comment

If you intend to do a little 2-up riding, definitely lean towards the 750. As far as fuel economy, anywhere for 38-46 mpg, depending upon how much you roll on the throttle.
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I would think if you are going to use the bike for distance you would go for the 750. you may also want to consider a corbin seat for more comfort on those trips.
          sigpic

Twist your Wrist

Comment

With regards to riding experience, last bike i had was a 600 Hornet.

Is there much difference between the mpg of the 600 and the 750? fuel over here in the UK is VERY expensive.

I do like the fact that the 750 seems like it would be more comfortable as most of it's duties will be for rides of 50+ miles.

Comment

your not going to see much difference from one to the other .. little extra on the top end and such .. for trips i would say the 750 .. good luck witrh your new bike
              so many roads so little time

Comment

I have an 05 750 and if I am nice around town I get mid 30's in the stop and go. Out and rolling around I get mid 50's on open back roads few stops. On the highway I get right at 50mpg in the 70-80mph range. My last tank was a solid mix of all 3 and I averaged 42mpg. As far as the engine goes it was all stock and had regular oil in it, I just switched to synthetic amsoil and have yet to run a full tank through to note any changes. There is a lot less engine noise and a bit more grunt and obviously a smoother idle.
                Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

I have only owned and ridden 600's and an 1100. The 1100 was quite fast, but VERY heavy. I get about 50 MPG riding 75-85 on the freeway and a little bit in town on the 600. I can't imagine that a 750 would get better gas mileage than a 600. If gas mileage is extremely important, buy a 600. If you want comfort, buy a 750.
                  Just my thoughts,

Comment

TWO sez:

The 600 stacks up almost exactly the same.

IMHO: you're not apt to get anywhere near 60 mpg in normal use, even Brit gallons (vs. American ones, which are about 20% smaller).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Go with the 750. Theres really no difference between the two besides you wont have to downshift as much and a better midrange.

DC Born..Maryland Bred

I will never be forgotten. I will only fade as time goes on from your consious thoughts.

Comment

My Katana 600 was my first bike. . . but ever since I got it, I've logged a ton of miles and have done everything from short sprints to long 400 mile distances to canyon runs.

I severely regret not getting the 750. . . but I'm more than happy enough with my 600 not to upgrade at this point. With a responsible rider and enough skill, the 600 is a very easy bike to ride, and if you're a spirited rider, it might not be enough in the long run. For a commuter, the 600 more than does the job. Either way, both bikes are more than enough to get most newbs in over their heads.
                        WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

Working...
                        X