X

16 tooth spocket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 tooth spocket

I wanted to get a little more range out of my 750 on long rides so I switched up to a 16 tooth sprocket (under $30) from the OEM 15 tooth.
    I ran into one small problem, when I put the engine sprocket cover back on, the chain & sprocket were hitting the casing. It took me a little while to determine exactly where the problem was so I thought I would save you guys some time and share this with you.

When you look at the pictures keep mind that I left the clutch cable attached to save some time. I used an angle grinder but if you have to, you could do it with a coarse file and a bench mounted vise.

new spocket:

sprocket cover:

here is the problem:

remove excess material:

another angle:

That's it, that's all!! the whole job should take about 1/2 hour, it took me an extra hour because I was fartin' around looking for my 32mm socket to remover the sprocket retainer nut and then I couldn't turn the wheel...blah blah blah

All I need now is a "yellow box" to calibrate my speedo/odo, it made a 6 - 7 % difference. Travelling at 130Km/H my speedo reads 121, my eng rpm is at 5500. The 750 has plenty of torque to ride around town light to light even with a passenger, I actually thing that it has given me more usable horsepower through the torque/gear curve. I have also noticed that the gear changes are smoother without effort.
    I've been riding with my buddy on his 600 and I know taht I am making less frequent gear changes around town.
    Also, don't worry, there is plenty of chain there to allow for the extra tooth.
    I hope this helps.
    sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

just outta curiousity... why didn't you just go down on the back sprocket? its super easy and you wouldn't have had to grind on anything.... just curious....

its also kinda wierd to me to head someone going up in the front hahahah im so used to people going down in the front and up in the back LOL....

there are deff times though like on the high way at anything over 80 when i wished it was geared diff.....
    THE EMAIL BANDIT
    F4 I stunted out
    Cbr900 (low and stretched)
    MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

Smaller rear sprocket costs more, and you need to shorten your chain. For every one tooth on the front, it takes 3 on the rear to make the same difference. Also, if I decide to go back to OEM my chain is still intact. It is actually much easier this way.

I have no need to gear it for wheelies and racing around town, I've outgrown that, if I wanted to ride it like a stunting bike or an SS I would have bought a gixxer. Like I said, the 750 has more than enough torque, I can't think of anything that I would want MY bike to do that it can't do now.

It just suits my personal riding style better, that's all.

Cheers
      sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Thanks for the write-up. You will have to tell us your new mileage after you get through a few tanks.
        -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
          I have no need to gear it for wheelies
          good, cause if thats what you were going for you went the wrong way

Comment

i wonder if you gear a 750 down even furthur like a 16 up front and like a 40 in the back or something like that.... how fast it would go befor it ran outta power.....

i've had mine pretty dang fast but it felt like it would run outta rpms/gear long befor it ran outta power....
            THE EMAIL BANDIT
            F4 I stunted out

Comment

wow 16/40 that would be squidtastic

Comment

once again doing your job makin me look like....

anyways... i was just using it as a theoretical example....

like you think a kat 750 could do like 150? 160?.... i have had mine to 132 easy as pie.... and that was befor doing anywork to it....
                THE EMAIL BANDIT
                F4 I stunted out

Comment

no, I wasn't making you look bad, 16/40 is a usable set up, it would just be sqiudtatstic. 150 is possible, 160 I really don't know with a 16/40 set up I wouldn't say it's not possible
                  Last edited by arsenic; 07-26-2008, 02:36 PM.

Comment

hahah.... you still didn't asnwer my serious question... i wanna know how fast you could gear a kat to go without having to add power.... or change aerodynamics.....

and i feel comforted knowing that your always around to keep my comments in check LOLOLOLOLOL....
                    THE EMAIL BANDIT
                    F4 I stunted out

Comment

on the stock sprocket I already had mine to 140, so unless I smoke a bird or a rock along the way would say that it does have to torque and power to get me over 150 with the new sprocket set-up. Living in the prairies has the advantage of very loooong straight roads.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      good, cause if thats what you were going for you went the wrong way
                      oh, you think?! after all, it was a 50/50 coin toss you know...
                      Last edited by baddkat; 07-26-2008, 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

yes, I do think

Comment

LOL

Comment

Well I do know that the 16 on front of Matt0302 gave worst Mpg. I believe if anyone looking for better mpg there ain't goin to get better then stock. I think his drop a couple of miles. Not sure how much, but the results wasn't in his favor.
                            Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 07-27-2008, 12:15 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Update Jul 11 2014
                            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

LOL, I thought about that too, he probably kept riding around at the same RPM, just faster.
                              I did the same with my last truck, I upgraded the injectors, air intake and full exhaust but my fuel consumption got worse! didn't take me long to realize I was driving around like a maniac because it had more power and sounded awesome!! Once I went back to my "father of two" driving style, things got much cheaper.
                              I guess time will tell, before the swap I was getting about 250km (155 mi) per tank before switching to reserve, what about some of you guys??

Comment

Working...
                              X