X

Katana dies when put in gear.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana dies when put in gear.

Ive got a 92 750. It starts up fine in neutral and idles fairly good once warm however as soon as I put it in gear it dies every single time. What kind of problems would cause this?

kickstand safety switch?

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
      kickstand safety switch?

That, or clutch cable needs adjustment. Does it just die or is there a slight forward jerk when you put it in gear? Try shifting into third, hold the clutch in and try and start it. If it won't start at all it's the cable or clutch.
      sigpic

Comment

There is a slight jerk forward then it dies. I tried starting it in first and starting it in second and it wouldnt start in either of those gears, only nuetral. I did try adjusting the clutch cable at the lever because I thought that could be the problem as well but that didnt help either

Comment

Sounds like the sidestand switch or wiring. Have you tried starting it with the stand down and up? Try starting it with the side stand pulled up - mebbe it's not contacting the safety switch fully.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Is it jerking forward with the clutch handle pulled back? If so, the clutch cable may be the culprit, as tdrcomm said...
            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

make sure the sidestand is UP before putting it into gear.

Comment

I'm fighting this same problem with a '95 600. There appears to be no-one that can help me(I'm posted in the electrical section). When you say:It only starts in neutral,does that mean with the kick-stand up,it will only start in neutral? Is the neutral light coming on? Will it not spin the engine over in gear with the clutch lever pulled in? Or will it only start(spin over) with the bike in neutral,kick-stand up? So far I have checked the clutch lever to make sure the lever switch is working. I checked the kick-stand switch(mounted down by the kick-stand) to ensure its working correctly. These are just a few things I've done, maybe you can use this info. If your bike will start in neutral with the clutch lever pulled in,don't waste your time checking the clutch lever switch. If the bike will start with the clutch lever pulled in,kickstand down,transmission in neutral,then I doubt its the kickstand switch. There has to be a kickstand relay on your bike that allows the engine to spin over with the trans in gear,kick-stand up. If I can learn anymore, I'll try to help you. Greg

Comment

Originally posted by joe citizen View Post
                  There is a slight jerk forward then it dies. I tried starting it in first and starting it in second and it wouldnt start in either of those gears, only nuetral. I did try adjusting the clutch cable at the lever because I thought that could be the problem as well but that didnt help either

My 95 750 has done this many times since I got it 2 weeks ago, but it was usually my fault for not having the sidestand ALL the way up.

Occasionally it will still die going into first when I know the sidestand is completely up. No problems starting it up in neutral with the sidestand down or up.
                  1995 Suzuki Katana GSX750F

Comment

Ok I finally fixed the problem and it was indeed a problem with the kickstand safety switch. After I initially asked the question I found this thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=82530 where most people seemed to say it was a problem with the switch, then after reading the many comments in this thread suggesting the same thing thats where I looked first and that was the problem. Thanks to everyone for their input. To those of you still having problems I hope you get get your problems fixed.

Comment

Chinto nailed it right outta the box. -There's hope for him yet...
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

The

The owner of my bike before I bought it informed me of this the day I bought it. I tried to ride away and couldn't figure out what the problem was thought there was something wrong with the bike. Glad he knew.
                        Last edited by KILLERGTZ; 07-24-2008, 08:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think it sounds like you clutch is not fully disengaging. I would try giving it a little gas as you put it in gear, be careful it may lurch forward. Maybe do this on some gravel so the back tire can spin a little. If that is the case, you may need to replace the clutch springs. These can wear out and when they do they don't take all pressure off of the clutch plate. The springs are relatively cheap, but installing them will give you some hassle.

Comment

Read the whole thread...he found the problem...
                            =USAF= Retired

Comment

Working...
                            X