X

Morgan Carbtune Pro vs Motion Pro SyncPRO Carb Synchronizers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan Carbtune Pro vs Motion Pro SyncPRO Carb Synchronizers

This report is not the views of katriders.com or should they be held responsible for any errors that may relate to the content of this comparison. The content below is from my direct use of both of theses tools and the results are my opinion on the use of these tools.

We all know how important it is for the carbs to be properly synchronized to make sure that all four carbs are equal for nice throttle response and good rideability. Well what I did was obtain two of the most popular tools for this purpose, The first is the Morgan Carbtune Pro and the other is the Motion Pro SyncPRO. The Morgan Carbtune Pro came from
    UK and the Motion Pro SyncPRO I picked up at my local motorcycle parts dealer.

The cost of the Morgan Carbtune Pro was $125.00 USD and if you want to complain about the value of the dollar please write CyberPoet a letter as he is directly responsible for the decline of the U.S. dollar (Just a side joke thrown in there). The cost of the Motion Pro SyncPro was $84.99 USD + Tax which totaled $91.99.

Ok now on to the differences between these two units.

Morgan Carbtune Pro - The Morgan Carbtune Pro uses stainless steel rods that are located by brass bushings in the lower part of the housing. You will also see plastic tubes in the visible area for assurance against breakage from an impact that one might encounter when using a tool such as this. It is secured to the grip by a plastic zip tie during use. This unit also comes with both 5mm & 6mm adapters for use on all current motorcycles. I am attaching a image below that will show the contents of the kit. I had already installed the restrictors so they will not be seen in this image however if you look at the hoses you can see where the restrictors are.

Ok on to the Motion Pro unit.

Motion Pro SyncPRO - The SyncPRO uses a proprietary (So they say) fluid that is not harmful to the engine or humans, Unlike the Morgan Carbtune this unit is only supplied with the 5 mm adapters and if you need the 6mm adapters they can be purchased from motion pro or your local dealer. The SyncPRO uses a hook that you install upon first use and it fits nice on the hand grip or anyplace else you care to hang it. I had already installed the restrictors in this unit prior to taking the pictures so you won't see those but they are tapered brass plugs that you push in about 3/8 of a inch on the carb side of the hoses. Also in this image I didn't pull the adapters out of the storage area that is located in the rubber feet of this unit. Below is the image of the fully assembled unit.

Ok now on to getting these units ready for use.

Morgan Carbtune Pro - Not much to setup here, The hoses already come cut and all you need to do is cut the restrictors (small piece of clear hose) into equal lengths. Then you cut 10cm from the end of the hose end and insert the restrictors into the hose about half way and then insert the rest of the restrictor in the remaining long hose (Do this to all four hoses). Attach the hose to the nipples on the Carbtune Pro and this unit is ready for use.

Motion Pro SyncPRO - This is a little more involved but not much, You must cut the single length of hose into four separate equal length hoses and then install the restrictors in the end of the hose tapered end first. Place the hook in the hole at the top of the SyncPRO and close the end so it will not come off.

Ok now on to the usage of each unit, I am not going to be showing these units actually being used to synchronize the carbs but rather how they react when hooked up to one vacuum source. By hooking up to one vacuum source you can see how equal they are and how accurate they will be able to synchronize your carbs.

First is the Morgan Carbtune Pro - With this unit there is no method to adjust the sensitivity of the stainless steel rod to make them all read the same should the need arise. In that attached image below you can see that the number 3 rod is down a bit from the rest. Being a anal person (I am a machinist) I was a bit disappointed that the other three rods were all the same with that one exception and no way to make it read the same.

Ok now on to the SyncPRO - This unit is a little harder to get to the lets use this sucker mode. When you first use this tool you must make sure that four screws on the fluid reservoir are backed off and then start the engine and by turning the screws clockwise you will bring the lower columns of fluid even with the highest one and up with all four tubes showing the same vacuum (Remember all four tubes are hooked to the same vacuum source). Attached below is the image after I had set this unit up for use.

Ok so what did I turn to get these all equal? Well as I said there are four separate reservoirs for the fluid and unlike a mercury manometer this unit does not share a common reservoir. On the top of each reservoir they have a screw that when turned clockwise will raise the column and when turned counter-clockwise will lower the column. Attached is a image of where the screws are and what they look like.

To give you a idea on what the insides of the Morgan Carbtune Pro looks like here is the unit with the backing plate removed.

Now on to the final comments - Both units are a quality built unit and both should survive a impact should they be dropped or banged up against something. I did not care for the inability to equalize all the rods on the Carbtune Pro unit. With the SyncPRO you must calibrate if you will before every use and it took me about 30 seconds to accomplish this task. With the price difference between the Carbtune Pro and the SyncPRO and the Carbtune Pro not showing any real benefits over the SyncPRO I would suggest saving the extra money (About $35.00 USD) and buy some other tool or lunch.

Well this is the end of my Carb Synchronize tour and if just one person finds this useful then I have succeeded at helping someone.

NOTE: Both units were purchased brand new!

Take Care and Happy Synchronizing.

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 01-26-2009, 09:43 AM.

Nice write up !! Thanks, I ended up with a SyncPRO too.
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Nice write up..
      I want to read it in full (bit busy right now)..

Comment

Excellent write up! I wish I had seen it before buying my carbtune (though I have no regrets). I do like how the Motion pro tool can be recalibrated, but on the other hand its impossible to suck the Carbtune's metal rods into your motor. Harmful or not, you still have to buy more fluid.

I haven't opened my carbtune, but in your picture it looks like it might actually be adjustable. Adjusting that nut on the end should adjust the preload on the spring, unless I'm looking at it the wrong way.

Both tools look pretty nice to me, but the cost difference probably puts the Motion Pro tool on top. Thanks for the write up!
        The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Steve beat me to the punch! I was gonna say the same thing.

Excellent write up!!! It should definitely be a sticky.

Comment

My .02 At $90 vs $130 you'll never need to replace anything in the carb tune.
            Refill fluid is $14..... I'd be interested to see how often that might need to be done.

Great write up, thanks for sharing.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              My .02 At $90 vs $130 you'll never need to replace anything in the carb tune.
              Refill fluid is $14..... I'd be interested to see how often that might need to be done.

Great write up, thanks for sharing.
              But I need to get the $130.00 unit working right first. Even Morgan states that the max out of tolerance limit is 1.5mm and I am at 2. Looks like I need to send something that never needs replacing back for replacement or repair.

I don't know where you are getting your pricing from but you can get it from Motion Pro for $5.50 for the bottle. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0415

I do wish that Motion Pro would have supplied little spigots on the back to plug the hoses in to during storage and that would slow down the evaporation and keep any dust or particles from entering the hose during storage.

Tmod
              Last edited by Tmod; 07-11-2008, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                I don't know where you are getting your pricing from but you can get it from Motion Pro for $5.50 for the bottle. http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0415

I do wish that Motion Pro would have supplied little spigots on the back to plug the hoses in to during storage and that would slow down the evaporation and keep any dust or particles from entering the hose during storage.

Tmod
                Found a random website with the parts listed: http://www.pitposse.com/moprosyproca.html
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I got a e-mail from Sean at Morgan Carbtune and I must say they are willing to do whatever I want to remedy this problem. I am attaching the reply from him so others can see what this company will do to correct the problem.

Hi Terry

Thanks for all the information and the photo. What you did is a good way to test it.
                  Sorry about this problem.
                  No it should not be like that. That rod that is low should really be like the other 3 although even like this it would sync the bike well. ( On a lot of dial type gauges the resolution is s low you would not see a difference of this level.)
                  But this is unacceptable for us but I'm puzzled how it actually got out like that.
                  1. We can fix this for you. 2. We can replace it. 3. If you want to try to fix it yourself ( to save the inconvenience for you returning it) you can also do that and if you can't fix it you can use either of the previous 2 options. It will not affect your warranty. And if you want information on how to fix it get back to me.
                  But you should not have to do this with a new product as it should work properly straight out of the box.

So let me know what you want to do. Of course you can also have a refund.

Best regards

Sean Morgan
                  Tmod

Comment

I am also looking for a carb sync tool. let me know if anyone has one lying around. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I have the Motion Pro and it has worked well for me. Putting it together was sort of a pain but it is all down hill after that. I have no regrets on buying this syncer.
                      American by birth, Italian by the grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by benhur View Post
                        I am also looking for a carb sync tool. let me know if anyone has one lying around. Thanks in advance.
                        Making one is possible if you are on a really tight budget. What you could do is synchronize 1&2 then 3&4 then 2&3. It is not the best way of doing it but it beats not doing it.

Tmod

Comment

very good comparisson and write up............but which one you keeping?

a side note...........the problem you find with the carbtune will have absolutely 0 effect on what it was built for....syncing carbs. Though the carbtune(from experience) does not bounce very much when syncing, but it bounces enough that you will never ever get them exactly the same. Syncing carbs is a close operation, not exact. Problem will never be noticed in operation. Exact readouts isn't what the tools are for...like the engine is pulling 5 psi or something.

Are you going to get the instructions on how to fix and share with fellow katriders so if this pops up years down the road?

i have heard the refill on the motion pro is extensive?

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                            very good comparisson and write up............but which one you keeping?

a side note...........the problem you find with the carbtune will have absolutely 0 effect on what it was built for....syncing carbs. Though the carbtune(from experience) does not bounce very much when syncing, but it bounces enough that you will never ever get them exactly the same. Syncing carbs is a close operation, not exact. Problem will never be noticed in operation. Exact readouts isn't what the tools are for...like the engine is pulling 5 psi or something.

Are you going to get the instructions on how to fix and share with fellow katriders so if this pops up years down the road?

i have heard the refill on the motion pro is extensive?
                            I have the Morgan Carbtune packed up and ready for return shipment back to Morgan, After extensive discussion with Sean we agree that this unit can't be fixed by adjusting the nuts at the bottom of the rods. So it is either a o-ring problem or a clearance problem with the #3 rod and bushing. Normally you would adjust the nut on the bottom of the rod to compensate for any variance in the height of the rods. Sean had suggested that I place nylon washers on the other three rods to bring them down and then tighten up the pressure on rod #3 to get them all even but that would be a total pita. As far as accuracy of the unit even Sean himself admits that this unit is out of tolerance, Morgan calls out a max tolerance of 1.5mm and I am at 2mm.

On your comment about bouncing, When I had the Carbtune hooked up the rods did not move all that much (less then 1mm) so I could have either compensated for that one lower reading knowing that it was low or i could have let it go with being a tad off. I am anal when it comes to things like this and what others let go I wouldn't. When you measure things in ten thousands all day this is a big difference to me. The closer you place the restrictors to the carbs the more dampening effect you will have.

I would suggest that current owners of the Carbtune clean out the brass bushing once in awhile as even with a little use I cleaned off some residue between the rod and the brass bushing. It was slight but it did make a difference when you inverted the tool and watch the rods drop down to the same position. Most of the time before cleaning I had to tap the side of the case to get the rods even.

On a ending note Sean apologized fo the problem and agreed to re-imburse me the shipping costs of returning the tool and that is unheard of in todays business. Also he said he would do what ever resolution that I wanted. Great guy that stands behind is product, I am sure I would not get that type of service from Motion Pro if that one when bad.

Tmod
                            Last edited by Tmod; 07-16-2008, 10:36 PM.

Comment

i wasn't dumping on your parade, i was just throwing my 2 cents in for users that might be concerned theirs isn't exact.

just poking little more, but if the morgan was in tune.....which one would you have kept?

so the adjustment method for the morgan is just turning the adjustment nuts?

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                              X