air is leaking around the valve stem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air is leaking around the valve stem

Guys,
    when filling my front tire today I noticed it actually leaks air around the valve.
    When moving the valve it sometimes stops...
    How is the valve mounted to the rim. I guess they are all tubless these days, so would a new tire fix the issue or is the valve attached somehow to the rim and I need a new rim?

Thanks
    --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Only the valve stem itself needs to be replaced. Have to take the tire off to get it off and a new one in. Might want to check out the ones that Cyberpoet sells. Billet aluminum in purdy colors. You do not need to replace the tire or rim.

Last edited by albuKat; 04-05-2008, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks, just send a PM to CP ordering them...

Hey what would be the best place to get the tires of and back on.
      I've seen threads to do it yourself and to build these contraptions ... would a bike shop do it for a $20?

Any inside?
      --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Cycle Gear is where I get mine done. I think they charge around 20 bucks if you buy the tire from them. Not sure how much w/o buying a tire. I have seen those contraptions to mount tires yourself. I personally havent tried any of them.

Comment

Cycle Gear around here gets $35... that makes it more expensive than some of the mom-n-pop shops and cheaper than the dealers...

Superglue can give you a temp patch on the valve, as can wrapping the tire valve with RescueTape, but if you're already home, I wouldn't ride it at all (unless it's your only way to get the wheel to the tire changer).

If you have the space in the garage/patio/etc., getting a tire changer set-up will set you back around $150 with all the accessories you need (tire spoons, changing rig, etc.), and it's an one-time purchase. HarborFreight carries all the stuff you need.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The same thing happened to me on a trip to Ottawa, had to get the bike trailered to my bro in law seeing it happened on a Sunday. I bought Cybers billet valves, and love em.
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Quick note!
              Called my local Auto tire shop in town and he is going to get it done for 15 bugs. No balancing so, but since it is not getting a new tire anyway... I think it is a good deal.
              Oh and thanks to CP's quick delivery will have the new billet valve steam on the tire. Man you need to get more stuff into your store. Compared to Ron you are lightning speed...
              Last edited by dnargsiefil; 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM.
              --- 1989 Katana 750 ---

Comment

Always fast service with a smile -- for most of the USA, that's almost always 2nd day (rarely 3rd day) with the pre-paid/pre-sorted priority mail labeling I use (depends on how far you are from the closest airport).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X