X

changing calipers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing calipers

now for those that like to learn, here's a little problem i had (wanted) to get round ...
    my original Slabby calipers were shot and finding some good used ones was near impossible (i wanted brakes NOW!! ) so i took a pair of gsxr400 gk76 calipers and fitted them to my slabby ...

now the slabby caliper mounts are 85mm centres and the 400 calipers are 90mm, also the slabby bolts are 8mm whereas the 400 are 10mm ...
    so i sat the one 400 calip..er in situ and temp' used an 8mm nut and bolt thru the bottom lug/mount to get an idea if i'd get away with it and fiddled with the positioning/angle, took the dust cover off to look at the pads and guess what , only a 2mm overhang (disc not quite a large enough diameter) decides there and then that i'm on a winner...
    i then drilled the bottom the bottom fork lug to 10mm and bolted the caliper on with it's own bolt (can't stop now the deed is a go) then had to sort out a bracket/adaptor for the top lugs which turned out to be 20mm centres, cut a strip of 3mm thick steel and drilled the two holes (1x 10mm + 1x 8mm) then made up a spacer to go between the strip and the caliper lug (14mm long i think) the upper 10mm enters from the back rather than from outside the fork now...
    lo and behold i now have brakes
    i'll get round to sorting replacement discs (bigger diameter) later on but these will do for now(just gotta watch the pads don't meet each other)...
    now all this has been done "including" fitting a later three spoke 17" rim ..

i'm posting this as maybe an encouragement for those that may be thinking things are too difficult...
    i'm not an engineer/machinist, i have no qualifications whatsoever, i just had a couple of problems i needed to get round ..
    what i'm saying is - look at it from all angles, try it in place and look again, then think carefully before commiting yourself because once you've started there's no going back...
    last picture...
    Last edited by NiteMare; 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM.
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Interesting solution.

I for one never said it couldn't be done..
    Who said that? Some newb?

Comment

no one said "it couldn't be done"...

i was just posting on the basis of "there's more than one way of killing a cat" and to possibly give others ideas/encouragement of solutions to thier problems ...

and if ideas are shared then it will make it easier for all of us and gives us all more options
      it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

better solution

switch to USDs
        Uh Oh here we go....

Comment

that would "possibly" be a better solution "if" i could afford a set...

instead i solved a problem in a way i could afford
          it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Adapters like NiteMare made used to be everywhere. But the last time I was trying to explain the concepts I had trouble finding even a picture.

Can the same design be used on the 600/750 kats?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post

Can the same design be used on the 600/750 kats?
              generally adaptors are one piece items, and made to suit the fork/caliper combination that are being used, my design could "possibly" be used to suit the 600/750 kat but not having one to hand i've no idea ...

this is where you folks come in, along with careful looking and thinking ..
              i've even seen adaptors for radial calipers mounted to standard usd forks, unfortunately most exotic adaptors will cost serious money due to the cnc programming and design
              it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Working...
              X