X

Fuel line/filter recommendations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel line/filter recommendations

I need to replace the fuel lines on my 1990 Katana 750 after having cut the lines to install small inline sintered bronze filters, which I now believe are restricting the fuel flow. I'm going to remove the filters, and will probably replace the line with the same type lines that were on it (Motion Pro gray 1/4"). I was also thinking about using the clear Motion Pro 1/4" line. Anybody have any experience with the clear?

How about filters?

Thanks.

I have the motion-pro urethane translucent blue lines on both the kat and bandit.

Likely the problem is the fuel filter, not the lines. You probably are getting an air lock in the fuel lines because the filter is sitting in a weird spot.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I just stopped by a Harley place on the way home and picked up some regular 1/4" fuel lines.

The filters Im using are some cheap looking triangle shaped filter with some copper/bronze filter looking thing in it.

Comment

I use those . Have for several years . You must be doing something wrong ..... You DID make sure you got the flow direction right , yeah ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Flow direction is correct. The bike ran well last Monday evening, when I reinstalled the carbs after a complete disassembly, cleaning, and float adjustment. It started easily and idled well when I checked it the next day, and a couple of days after that. The only thing that has changed is the fuel filters. I'm going to remove them to see if it goes back to normal.

Comment

Fuel is gravity fed. If it can't go straight down, it will get an air bubble in it.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Or if you cut the lines to put the filters in , you MAY have gotten a chunk of rubber from the line caught somewhere . Seen it before ....

Comment

I made a clean cut with a razorblade when I installed the filters, but checked the lines tonight just in case, and they were clear. I'll probably get more fuel line tomorrow or Thursday. Thanks.

Comment

Well , I've done the same in the past , and ended up with a small chunk of rubber stuck at the float needle seat . I'm just sayin , it COULD happen . But I've been using those cheapy filters for about 5 years now .

Comment

I hooked up my auxiliary fuel tank last night, with clear fuel lines, and ran the lines through the small inline filters. I got the bike running fairly decently, after repairing a plug wire that had come loose from the boot, and replacing a fouled plug. It would start fairly easily, but I had to use about half choke. Once running, it took throttle OK, but would not idle if I took the choke off.

Tonight I removed the filters and lines from the carb fuel lines, and a little air escaped from both lines. When I hooked up the auxiliary tank again, there was no fuel flowing past the filters. I moved the lines around a little, and a lot of air bubbles came up through the lines to the tank. This went on for a good while, even after the lines filled with fuel after I started the bike.

Does this seem abnormal?

Comment

some fuel filters don't work well on the gravity fed system. myself, i tried three types till i found ones that didn't restrict flow... i think i have lawn mower filters on it now

but you probably knew that
                      1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Working...
                      X