X

rain-x on visor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rain-x on visor?

Today was the first time i have ridden in the rain. Has anyone used rain-x on their visor? i'm sure that it has to be better than using my hand to wipe the rain away.

On another note...I now know how black peter feels when he gets sweaty butt. My butt was soaked when i got to work!

i havnt acually used rain x for the rain but the wipes come in handy for a quick bug clean.
    Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
    www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Nice paint job Erki!

Comment

i've always thought about that too, just worried about using it on plastic like the visor...could buy a visor off ebay and give it a shot
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Only on the cars. Works great but not sure what it will do to plastic.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaSoldier View Post
            Only on the cars. Works great but not sure what it will do to plastic.
            I'm not sure it would make a difference. Remember that car windshields have a plastic sheet on the inner and outer faces so that when it shatters, the shards are all held together in one large sheet. Since all plastics are at their simplest form the same (petroleum based) then I would guess that if Rain X doesn't hurt the plastic on the windshield, then it shouldn't harm your visor either.

I think someone should try it out and see (I'm buried under 2' of snow or I'd give it a whirl on my next wet ride). Any takers?
            I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
              I'm not sure it would make a difference. Remember that car windshields have a plastic sheet on the inner and outer faces so that when it shatters, the shards are all held together in one large sheet. Since all plastics are at their simplest form the same (petroleum based) then I would guess that if Rain X doesn't hurt the plastic on the windshield, then it shouldn't harm your visor either.

I think someone should try it out and see (I'm buried under 2' of snow or I'd give it a whirl on my next wet ride). Any takers?

Great point. On that note, Rain X sells anti fog stuff for the inside of windshields too. Hmmm.
              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post

The plastic used to hold windshields together is sandwiched between two layers of glass. So the Rain-X never touches plastic.

I once used Rain-X on a mirror and it melted the coating off of it. Unless the manufacturer recommends Rain-X I would test it on a part of the shield that you do not see through (like by the hinge). Just to make sure that it does not react with the shield.

Comment

I've used it before, and It doesn't really help.

I noticed that the visor got foggy more often with it...not sure if it was a direct correlation with the rain-x though....

Keep in mind that your cars wind shield is at an angle, so it's easy for the water just to slide up the windshield, but a visor is a different story...
                  Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill
                  Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                  New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I always thought the sandwich was made the other way (i.e. plastic is the bread and glass is the meat )

I use Plexus on my visor and have not had any probs in the rain. Have you tried waxing your visor? I've never tried waxing my visor but I know it works on windshields so....who knows.

Originally posted by tzortn View Post
                    The plastic used to hold windshields together is sandwiched between two layers of glass. So the Rain-X never touches plastic.

I once used Rain-X on a mirror and it melted the coating off of it. Unless the manufacturer recommends Rain-X I would test it on a part of the shield that you do not see through (like by the hinge). Just to make sure that it does not react with the shield.
                    True the windshield is at an angle in the vertical plane, but the visor is curved in the opposite plane so in theory, the wind should push the water droplets around to the sides of the helmet just as it pushes them over the roof of a car.

Originally posted by reconstyle View Post
                    I've used it before, and It doesn't really help.

I noticed that the visor got foggy more often with it...not sure if it was a direct correlation with the rain-x though....

Keep in mind that your cars wind shield is at an angle, so it's easy for the water just to slide up the windshield, but a visor is a different story...
                    Last edited by Spud; 12-19-2007, 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

sigpic

Comment

Haven't tried that.
                      but in snow states snowmobile
                      shops sell the "wedge" that you can use
                      to wipe the visor.

Comment

My cold weather gloves have a wiper on the left thumb. It works, but it looks like your giving someone the thumbs up when your wiping away. I tend to just turn my head from side to side, and that does the job.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

go on youtube.com hawaii88 who now has a ninja, had an R1 (that should help u find his videos)

he sewed a small piece of winshield wiper on his riding gloves. If your handy with that kinda thing id give it a shot. then again hes asian, they can do anything

Comment

I tried RainX original on a Scorpion shield since the antifog on the shiel wasnt working anyway all it did was haze the shield and had no noticable difference on water dispersment or fogging. Needless to say a new shield is on its way.
                            sigpic

Comment

Do not use Rain-X on your visor or windscreen. This will ruin them. It even tells you on the bottle that it is made for glass only, and not to be used on plastic.. It will turn your visor foggy and yellow over time. Also, it weakens the plastic. I heard one guys visor shattered after something hit his visor. He always used Rain-X on the visor.

Anyways, use Lemon Pledge it works great on plastic for cleaning and for water to bead up. You can buy the Lemon Pledge wipes in the store and keep them under your seat or in a tank bag.

Also, Plexus is supposed to work real well. I haven't used it but have heard great things about it.
                              2007 Honda CBR600rr
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X