No announcement yet.
X

Anthing Else I should do while apart??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthing Else I should do while apart??

Well I hope the make the 98+ pan / pickup swap tomorrow night, and get the Scorpion slip on w/ 98+ header installed. Maybe a few rides...as long as no ice etc. BUT......I want to go ahead and get my time frame down so I Can plan out the Winter plans for the bike.

Valve Cover "Seep" :

I've got a very slight seepage from the valve cover gasket. Not surprising since one of the valve cover bolts was stripped JUST enough so that it would ALMOST torque to spec, then spin. So I expected that issue.

So I planned to tear it all apart again this Winter anyway. It's on of the 'inner' valve cover bolts, so I'm going to assume I can find a Heli-Coil and take care of that easy enough.

I figure I'd replace all the O-rings / Rubber washers to do with the valve cover gasket while I'm in there this time as well.

Head Gasket "Seep":

Noticed this one recently. Although there is some slight leakage from the LH side of valve cover, and it's traveled down and around the engine a bit, there is still some definite "seep" coming from where the head sits on the engine block. See pics below:

Of course I did NOT check the head nut / bolt torque.

What's the general consensus here? 31K miles....again it's not leaking enough to actually need to add oil.

The reason I ask is this....with decent miles, and since I do plan on keeping this bike AT LEAST several more years, if not longer, would it be worth the time / effort to go ahead and yank the head?

I'll check the service manual, but I'm sure there are several O-rings, and other items that SHOULD be replaced while I'm in there, than just the head gasket itself.

Beside this, the engine is very dry. I've put almost 2k miles on the bike since the last oil change, and the level is still on full.

I'm kind of rambling here....but I guess to get to the point....if I can score a 98+ 600 engine with low miles....for say $200-400 (as I've seen several at this price in very good shape) and keeping in mind that I plan to keep this bike a good while...would it make more sense time / money wise to replace the engine when I find the right deal, pull the current engine, and tear it apart, fix / maintenance without having to deal with any downtime, which would in essence give me another good engine way down the road.

I know I'm going to have several weeks of downtime when the weather turns as I'm going to paint the old girl as well.

So what's everyone's input / feedback / opinions here?

Thanks again

Chris

If those pictures represent the amount of leakage you've experienced in 2k miles, I wouldn't sweat it personally... that's not enough leakage to justify anything.

On the other hand, if you cleaned the bike totally and then rode it 5 - 10 miles before you had that kind of leakage, I'd recommend replacing the gaskets over the winter (and the bolts as well).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you mean the cylinder stud bolts CP?

Comment

Whatever studs/bolts hold down the pressure on the leaking gaskets.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yeah the cylinder head nuts hold the pressure on the whole upper engine. The stud bolts run from the upper crankcase to the cylinder head nuts. To replace those you have to tear down the whole upper engine. If your gonna do that replace the gasket. IMO re torque the cylider head nuts, off the top of my head the torque spec is like 29 ft-lbs, but there's a sequence to them and if you follow the sequence they are a lot tighter then 29 ft-lbs.
          Last edited by arsenic; 11-09-2007, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Yeah , loosen them all first , THEN retighten . And 29 is close . I'm wanting to say 28 is what my Clymer manual calls for on the pre 750 .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

make sure you re tighten them in the correct sequence, otherwise, it's worthless

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                If those pictures represent the amount of leakage you've experienced in 2k miles, I wouldn't sweat it personally... that's not enough leakage to justify anything.

On the other hand, if you cleaned the bike totally and then rode it 5 - 10 miles before you had that kind of leakage, I'd recommend replacing the gaskets over the winter (and the bolts as well).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                That's what it lookes like after right at 2K miles.

I know it's not something to worry about at all. I've almost convinced myself to just ride it, get the paint and other things done to it I have lined up...and keep an eye out for a used engine.

I have a problem (isn't that the hardest part...admitting the problem?!!?) with my vehicles...I'm kinda picky. Noises, leaks, rattles etc.

I THINK that when I pick up my parts today to do the Exhaust swap..once I get the Scorpion on, maybe that will "distract" me enough not to worry about it...LOL

Thanks for the input guys.

Chris

Comment

center stand?

ok i need a center stand to do some chain lubes and other simple work... so should i buy an after market stand or find a 94 gsx 600f thats been wrecked?
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                    ok i need a center stand to do some chain lubes and other simple work... so should i buy an after market stand or find a 94 gsx 600f thats been wrecked?

Try looking in the for sale section, or posting a New thread in the Wanted forum, it will get more attention that way, if the request is it's own post.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                      Try looking in the for sale section, or posting a New thread in the Wanted forum, it will get more attention that way, if the request is it's own post.
                      +1 and scour ebay if you don't spot one on KR.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

"new threads"

new threads are only for people with more than 50 posts.... i have 5 ... well.... 6 counting this one...

.....i already thought of that...

ebay and KR? ive heard of ebay.... but KR.... whats the site /link?
                        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                        Tony
                        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                          ebay and KR? ive heard of ebay.... but KR.... whats the site /link?
                          KatRiders.com

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Whoa , you can't start a new thread with less than 50 posts ? Huh , I did not know that . My bad .
                            And KR is THIS site .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Katriders!com

OHHHHHH OK yeah.. this site is so cool btw... i got a manualfor my bike and got so much advise just from reading old post.....
                              Tony
                              94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X