Getting my niece to wear Gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting my niece to wear Gear

Heya Kids,
    I had a conversation with my older sister tonight over the phone, she has brought it to my attention that her 18 year old daughter has a new bf with a Honda CBR 600 RR. (I know this is heading to trouble already). Point is she is not wearing any gear at all, minus a helmet (which i have yet to see if it even fits right). With three other riders in the family not wearing any gear whatsoever, it falls to me to try and educate a 18 year old with a "nothing will happen to me" mentality to attempt to correct this.
    I am going to show her the Road Rash Queen Website, but any advise i am in desperate need of here, would be very helpful.
    Thanks Guys and Gals

I could show her MY road tattoos . They're pretty cool .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hopefully she will listen to you.
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

Its funny you posted this. There was an accident today only minutes away from my shop on a really twisty road where a guy riding a CBR hugged a corner too close, slid out and well managed to lose his head on a piece of guard rail. He would've been saved if he'd worn a helmet.
        If something is hard its not worth doing
        1984 Can-Am ASE 250
        1989 Katana Race bike
        2001 Bandikat (bandit with kat swap)
        As the Project build continues

www.azkatriders.com

Comment

Tell her to sit down and READ this...

Путь вашего ребенка к образованию мирового класса начинается здесь. Процесс зачисления в онлайн-школу Legacy отличается эффективностью и простотой. Следуя приведенным ниже инструкциям, вы сможете обеспечить своему ребенку место в нашем динамичном и инновационном учебном сообществе.
          It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Sometimes just showing them the facts is not enough....take a piece of large grit sand paper, the type you would use to really tear up a piece of wood with latex paint...take the piece and take one swipe to her arm or leg...not hard enough to tear skin but just to make a light scratch...then say that is like 1/10 of what it feels like...imagine putting all your weight down and scraping on this at 30mph..except that instead of this clean sand it's asphalt with all the dirt on the road...also I'm sure you could visit any emergency room that has squids with injuries and some one would let you visit these people if you explained your situation...
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

yep thats the site im gonna sit her down to read. you think after seeing me ride next to her mom's car for 2 1/2 hours on a trip to Ft Myers, you think it would be in grained in her head to wear gear. Lets see what happens...

Comment

That is a good article because she was in the exact safe position as your niece.

There is also that video of the GF falling off the wheelieing Ninja.
                If you are on my space and can contact her I'm willing to bet the Rash Queen will email/PM your niece with some advice..

Comment

when i did the search last night/this morning on the RRQ, i saw that she did have a MySpace Page. Im gonna have her take a look at her page as well.

Comment

I hate hearing about people like that. Im 17 and i wear full gear all the time. Its just dumb not to.

Comment

My husband's favorite saying is, "Dress for the crash ... not the ride."

Tell her that sweat washes off, road rash doesn't. She may think she looks cool now, but ...

All you can do is attempt to educate her then pray she will listen and wear her gear ... hopefully without having to learn the hard way.

Good luck!
                      ~ Lisa
                      2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
                      2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

I feel like I'm riding naked without my gear. Can't ride without it.

Comment

Well i had the talk with my niece today. After she read the story of the Road Rash Queen it made her think a little bit more of what she has to do to be safe while riding on the passenger seat. I didn't rant or anything, just said "our Sport is dangerous, and I want to make sure you dont end up like Brittany. Out of the riders in the family i am taking the time to educate you on what could happen if you got into a crash"
                          She took the info i provided her very well and i beleive after reading the site, she is thinking twice about alot of things.
                          Thanks for the help guys

Comment

You know, the odd thing about the whole 'full gear' movement is that the strongest proponents are those that have suffered the effects of road rash. It's too bad that many don't see the need for gear until after they've experienced the results of not having it when they needed it most. -Me included.
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

i had all but riding pants a good month before i ever got my bike .. just made sense to me
                              so many roads so little time

Comment

Working...
                              X