Pants...what to do?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pants...what to do?

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole motorcycle thing, and have purchased decent gear for my head, feet, upper torso, and hands. What's left is pants, which I didn't think was that big of a deal until I read the article about the road rash queen in another thread.

So, I'm looking into pants, but I'm not even sure what I need. The idea of overpants to wear over my jeans sounds logical, but I'm afraid that still won't be enough protection. Leather overpants would just be too hot. I'm also considering leather pants, but it gets even more confusing there...should I just settle for the cheap Teknic Chicane's or pony up for a pair of Vanson's that'll last me my whole life.

So, what did you guys do for your first pair of pants, and with hindsight, what would you do now?

Thanks!
    Last edited by therippa; 10-23-2007, 11:48 AM.

Chaps..
    I know it sounds all Village People but quality chaps offer the strength of pants (and almost the same coverage) and they are more comfortable over pants. That was what I got as my first pant option. I got Vanson's. Roll them up and stuff them in your helmet.. good to go.

Comment

If you want the ultimate in protection, grab a pair or leather racing pants. Shift racing, Teknic, Joe Rocket, etc are a few of the brands among the many. Look for when online stores are clearing them out. You will save hundreds. Flea bay is also a great option for some used ones as well. As long as they are not scuffed up and are armored, then you are good to go.
      Just make sure they are very snug in fit as you do not want them to roll up on you if you go down. At a minimum, you should be wearing some reinforced riding jeans. Nothing protects like leather though.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Leather may afford the best protection, but it's not too practical in the Florida heat in the summertime. -My textile gear may not protect like leather, but it breaths better. If that may be a problem in your area, look at the newer gear that offers leather/armor in those areas that require it and textile/mesh panels in other areas to allow for air circulation...
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

You would be surprised at how long the "cheap Teknic Chicane" pants will last you. I bought mine about 4 years ago and wore them for every ride (which is almost every day) and they are still doing well.
          Also as Black_Peter mentioned Chaps are another alternative.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
            You would be surprised at how long the "cheap Teknic Chicane" pants will last you. I bought mine about 4 years ago and wore them for every ride (which is almost every day) and they are still doing well.
            Also as Black_Peter mentioned Chaps are another alternative.

I'm not saying they're cheap in quality, only in price

Thanks for the advice everyone, and please keep it coming!

Comment

New enough has been sending this sale to my email for the past week or so...$39.99

The name of the Jean Pant is pretty descriptive of what you get. These are simply a jean style pant with armor built into the hips and knees. The knee armor...

Comment

Buy the best you can afford. My first pair was Rocket textile. Since then I now have Rocket Speedmaster 5.0. If I could have afforded it back then, I would have bought Speedmaster pants. The new 5.0's that just came out are actually very comfortable and breathe well. I'm sure impressed!
                Life's not always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride!! 94 Katana 600/750 and 99 Harley Electra-Glide

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Chaps..
                  I know it sounds all Village People ...

I just couldn't resist!
                  "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

My first pair of mc pants came shortly after my first jacket. Fieldsheer textile.

One bit of advise (well, two):

Get zippers that go up above the knee. Ones that stop below the knee are near useless, cant get them on or off over even shoes.

And go with CE armor in the pants. If pants you buy do not have CE armor, buy a set and install them.
                    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Go to Ironpony.com and check out the Teknic Closeouts. I bought Teknic Thunder leather pants for $74!! comes with armor. And a Teknic Lightning Leather jacket for $119For an inexpensive pair of riding pants go to Newenough.com and check out the Tour Master riding jeans on Closeout for $39. They are not jeans, they are a textile pant with knee and hip armor. Great deal at $39 cheaper than levis and much safer.
                      25 minutes from the Cherohala, 30 minutes to overlook (Deals Gap)

Comment

I purchased Shift riding jeans made of Kevlar, they are comfortable they look like regular jeans and I can wear them out and about.

Comment

textile has it's place but remember anything that fits a little loose will move around in a crash. i'd look into perf'd leather that zips 360 degrees into your jacket.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc View Post
                            Anything that fits a little loose will move around in a crash.

tim
                            Thank you! Finally someone makes a compelling case for wearing briefs (tighty-whities) over boxers...

Put yo' jewels in a turd-hammock...for safety's sake, boys!!!
                            Last edited by Nero; 10-26-2007, 01:06 PM.
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I suggest you wear pants....

Comment

Working...
                              X