KOTM May 2009 DreKat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Katana How-To's & FAQ's

Katana How-To's & FAQ's A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Rok_Stars_Bars
Kat Daddy

Default Poor man's exhaust

How to make your stock muffler on your Katana sound like an aftermarket slip-on. I will give the steps I took to make my exhaust on my 2005 Katana sound great for Free.

Remember: I work on airplanes for a living. So I have access to all the tools I need and also an Air Compressor. This job took around 2 hours. And that was doing alot a experiment with what I had read from another post on how to do this and this method to the quickest and cleanest way to do it.

Tools needed (or that I used) : Saftey googles, gloves, breathing mask, A Rachet, 12mm socket, 12mm wrench, Needle nose pliers, Dremel (with alot of little cut-off wheels), 90 degree highspeed (w/ attaching parts the adapter to use sanding disc), 2" hole saw, rotary file, and some type of spray lube.

First: I removed the muffler from the bike.(Only 3 bolts all 12mm)

Next: I used the Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel attached and cut as low as I could into the smaller pipe at the outlet of the muffler.

Next: You should be low enough to use the 2" holesaw. Now insert the 2" holesaw into the outlet and cutout the metal plate that the smaller pipe to welded to. ( Tryed using a 1 3/4 holesaw it wont clear the weld. With the 2" holesaw I had to grind out the out pipe so it would fit, also spray some oil while cutting makes it easier.)

Next: Once the holesaw cut through metal plate remove the holesaw from the tube and use the dremel to cut the small pipe. I cutted about 1" past the metal plate. Then I was able to remove the plate and pipe with some needle nose pliers.

Next: Use the rotary file on a highspeed to grind the excess metal that 2" inch holesaw do not get. I grinded my then it was flush with the outpipe. (But not being to picky)

Next: I use an adapter for a 1 or 1 1/2 inch course sand disc on my 90 degree high speed and grind the smaller pipe smooth.

Last: I turn the exhaust upside down and blow out the metal shaving and install the pipe into the bike ( which is only 3 bolts)

The bike has a great sound. Real deep at idle. My friend as a muzzy on his 06 Ninja 636 and at idle we sound the same. But in high rpm his is louder. Now I was consider buying a hindle slip-on, but now I am thinking twice. The bike is perfect in sound to me I wanted something that was mildly loud, except when cruising around 70mph you can kinda hear it but you hear more wind noise then anything. I felt no difference in power. The bike as still running great. No other mods were needed.

Video and pics coming very soon. Let me load them up

Update Jul 11 2014
Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 10-16-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Rok_Stars_Bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
Rok_Stars_Bars
Kat Daddy

Default Pics

Edited this post on 10-22-2007 to add some better pics of exhaust and a couple of hundreds miles on it. The last pic is the best far as detail. The first pic is the day of, so it is shiny. The other 3 were tooken today Mon 10-22-2007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exhaust 01.JPG (46.7 KB, 817 views)
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (52.3 KB, 691 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (47.6 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (28.0 KB, 938 views)

Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 10-22-2007 at 10:01 PM..
Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Rok_Stars_Bars
Kat Daddy

VIDEOS OF THE POOR MAN'S EXHAUST IN ACTION

This is the bike and stand still ( New tire on order also if u didn't notice its time)

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=100_1407.flv

This is moving till about I guess 60 mph

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=100_1416.flv

Another Video of playing going I guess around 60 mph

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=100_1411.flv

0 to 110 Max Speed (Missed 3rd to 4th) OOPS But still U get the picture

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=100_1430.flv

Last edited by Rok_Stars_Bars; 10-16-2007 at 10:17 PM..
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
KatanaSoldier
Kat Legend

KOTM Apr 2007

Nice tone!
JOHN 16:33
KatanaSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
GregS
Track Rider

If I may add a couple things:
1) If you have access to a long slide hammer you could pull the small pipe out of the second divider plate as it is a pressed in fit. It's not easy but it comes out.
2) On the newer mufflers, 04+, you have extra restriction of a cat converter and the older OE mufflers have a cool welded together canister appearance.
Yours sounds and looks great.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Rok_Stars_Bars
Kat Daddy

My bike exact date is made in 12/04 does my have a cat? Cuz my small pipe was welded to that metal plate
Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
nathan
Rookie

I wish i had an airfield to use as a track!
Definitely a better way to do a FOD check.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Rok_Stars_Bars
Kat Daddy

Yeah it is great and the airport I work at is a kinda small compare to like hartfield. There probably 30 airplanes at most that fly in a day. So not much room for error as far as stupid people around you. Yeah I love it. And the Lower ramp that two of the video's were shot on doesn't get used hardly at all actually most people that work at the airport don't even know about it. And the Kingair at u seen on one of the video. Was the first time I actually seen someone park an airplane down there. Except on Race weekend. The airport I work is right next to Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
FloridaKat
Track Rider

Totally cool! I wonder what changing the depth of the inside pipe would do? I've been thinking of a slip-on, but this has got me thinking.

Only issue that I can foresee is rain. That's probably the reason for the bend at the end of the exhaust(s).

Great job!
FloridaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Astro4x4
Kat Champion

eBay ID: Astro4x4

Ok, so being the dumb a$$ I can be at times, I wasn't grasping what you did, so...... out came the grinder and my rashed spare pipe went under the knife.
Check it http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...tana/?start=40
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find ya handy."

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Katana How-To's & FAQ's