X

More Upright Kat Seating???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Upright Kat Seating???

Since you're the Kat experts...I was looking at Heli bars home page and even shot them a "Contact Us" message and found they don't offer anything for the Kat.

Being mid 40s and shaped kind of like a 73" tall Christmas ornament, upright is a good thing! I'm getting back in the saddle really soon, even have the Mrs' blessing to look for her a bike too! She has lower spinal issues so comfy is critical for us both.

Any suggestions???

Please advise!

THANKS!!!
    8)

If she has lower spinal issues, I wouldn't recommend getting in the habit of taking her on any motorcycle (the rear seat of any motorcycle takes more vertical impact than any other spot on the bike because of the lever effect of the rear subframe)...

For the Katana, if it's stricly a matter of support in the rear of the passenger, the answer is a Corbin "Gun Fighter and Lady" seat, either new or used off eBay. The passenger accomodations are scooped out a bit better, broader and have an series of optional backrests. If you need lateral support as well (armrests, etc.) -- I'm not aware of any standard solutions for the Katana and you probably ought to be looking at something like an older GoldWing or Silverwing, BMW touring bike, etc.

As for you -- at 6'1", the Corbin will help contribute to an more upright stance, as with the corbin the normal rider seating drops by almost an inch compared to the stock seat (different seating logic -- the stock seat is narrow, high by comparison; the corbin is broader to support your upper thighs, uses a much firmer foam, and drops your height).

Best of Luck!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1 on the Corbin. I also felt too "leaned over" while riding. With the Corbin this is a non-issue. Best money ive spent so far on bike.

Comment

Re: More Upright Kat Seating???

Originally posted by roosed
        I'm getting back in the saddle really soon...
        If "real soon" means you have not bought a bike yet, I would suggest a Bandit 600 or 1200 instead of the Kat.
        Same drive train- bulletproof.
        Less body work, so when it gets driveway dropped, far less plastic to break.
        And most important to you: Higher seat AND traditional bars (instead of semi-clip-ons like the Kat). You being 6' tall, the higher seat will appeal to you, and you can choose from a very wide varity of bars to move the handgrips up, down, forward, back, change angle, etc. etc. There are alos spacers available for between the top triple clamp and the bars. The possibilitiies are endless on the Bandit, not so much on the Kat.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Ditto on the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady. Much more comfortable than the stock seat and a little lower therefore taking a little pressure off the wrists if you tend to lean forward while riding. Of course at around 55+ MPH the wind is helping to keep you upright.

Personally I don't find the riding position a big deal, but then I'm 5'9" and have had the Corbin since th second after I bought my Kat.

Comment

The only trouble with a lower seat is that the pegs aren't also lowered, so your legs become a little more folded up. I believe the real solution for a more upright sitting position is moving the grips back somehow, not moving the seat.
            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

If you have a 600, you can just switch to the 750's clipon/triple.
              750 clipons and top triple move the grips up AND back, at least two inches from the 600's position.
              Plus they offer additional vibration reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveb
                The only trouble with a lower seat is that the pegs aren't also lowered, so your legs become a little more folded up. I believe the real solution for a more upright sitting position is moving the grips back somehow, not moving the seat.
                IMHO, the half-to-one inch difference at the seat surface (Corbin) doesn't make much change at the ankles because the seating platform changes as well (in the sense that you can move your hips forward/backwards over a far larger range and remain comfortable). Unless his inseam is particularly long (I have a 33" inseam, which is exceptionally long for my height), I doubt it will be an issue. You may end up wanting to change the position of your foot controls minorly, but that's an issue (like hand controls) where the bike really should be tailored to the rider at time of first acquisition anyway.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

roosed,you can buy this handle bar kit at this place,it was on a another thread.

Comment

You can also take a look here http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm they offer something you may want to take a look at .
                    Mind over matter , if you don't mind it doesn't matter

Comment

Is there an echo in here?

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I love echos!

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        Is there an echo in here?

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        CP, echos are great! After 25+ years in machining & 20+ years shooting and teaching tactical handgun, echos are appreciated!!!

Thanks to all for all the Katana info!

A co-worker has been trying his darndest to convince my that a VeeStrom, or even a WeeStrom, is the perfect bike and I should REALLY consider one. He even introduced me to a bud of his that owns a nearby Suzi dealership that has a DL1K priced really right but the DLs center of gravity just feels WAY high to me.

In years past I've always ridden cruisers and that's why the Kat really appeals to me since it seems a cool compromise between sport & tour where the DLs are more of a compromise between dirt bike and tour.

Thanks again & keep the echos coming!!!
                        8)

Comment

These guys have an option to get the bars taller on the Katana

Hope this helps
                          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Spiegler Riser Kit

Okay, I have a question for y'all...at least for Perrier52, RedPiranha, or 40Something,

I found the product listed on the spieglerusa website (THANKS!) for the 03 & later Kats but unless I'm missing something it didn't explain the change in grip position at all.

From the pic.s it almost looks like this kit converts the bike to almost a short height dirt bike type handlebar but that may just be a generic pic.

Any insight would be great!!!

Sorry, I know I ask a lot of questions but I make lousy "hasty" decisions so as I've aged I've learned that information is my best defense!

THANKS AGAIN!
                            8)

Comment

Re: I love echos!

A co-worker has been trying his darndest to convince my that a VeeStrom, or even a WeeStrom, is the perfect bike and I should REALLY consider one. He even introduced me to a bud of his that owns a nearby Suzi dealership that has a DL1K priced really right but the DLs center of gravity just feels WAY high to me.
                              The VStrom does have some advantages over the Kat, and some disadvantages.
                              PRO's:
                              The seating is pretty much bolt-straight upright, which makes for good posture and great traffic visibility (both others seeing you & you seeing others), although it turns you into more of a sail at interstate speeds;
                              difference in height between the front & rear seat passengers are minimized, so a passenger who is within 3" of your height will be hidden in your wind-shadow (difference is more pronounced on the Kat);
                              The VTwin is detuned enough that it's not vibey, and should have a very long and robust life. Plus it's got good low-/mid-range punch.
                              it'll eat potholes for dinner.
                              it's 6th gear is an over-drive (range/fuel-consumption bonus);
                              there are hand-gaurds & a manually height-adjustable windshield (both are a blessing for cold weather).
                              CON's:
                              The lower part of the bike is exposed, as well as your legs, meaning it's not as good an all-weather ride as the Kat. Engine tends to get cruded up for that reason as well (quite a bit of cleaning invovled to keep it clean and the exhaust corrosion free in areas that see left-over winter salt or mud on the road);
                              high-mount exhaust means luggage options are limited. There is an optional top-box, and Givi may make a hard side mount kit for it, but you can probably forget throwing soft bags over.
                              It definitely doesn't have the kind of kick at 75 mph top-gear cruising as the Kat -- you need to go down several gears to find passing capability on demand.
                              It's tall as the day is long.
                              TIED IMHO:
                              Both bikes have excellent headlights, but get there different ways.
                              The gauges are about the same in terms of actual information offered (albeit not the same in their appearances).

You can find my review of the VStrom 1000 test ride I did last year here for some comparison food-for-thought:
                              Bike#5 in my Bike Week Mis-Adventures thread

I found the product listed on the spieglerusa website (THANKS!) for the 03 & later Kats but unless I'm missing something it didn't explain the change in grip position at all.
                              The idea is that the Spiegler LSL Handlebar Riser Kit lets you switch over to a continuous hollow-bar tube-style handlebar (as verses to the short clip-on type tubes that come stock on the Kats and many other bikes). Such tube handlebars can be ordered from a wide variety of manufacturers fairly cheaply in vritually any bend you'd like -- so you can readly customize the bar shape itself to whatever your desires are.

Hope that clarifies...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X