X

Odometer quit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer quit

I have an issue with my odometer and trip meters. Digital readouts, but quit registering when I hit 99999 km. Speedo still works, but no odometer readings. Any suggestions? I checked a couple of shops and they have no clue, suggested a new speed sensor, but I don't believe this is the problem. I don't want to replace the speedo, is there a way to reset it back to zero? Strange that it wouldn't just roll over.
    Thanks all,
    B

that's a technical problem, Suzuki will give you a new one if you go to a dealer and complain.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. but as the bike is a '99, highly doubting they will cough up for a new speedo. Would be nice if they did though, and it is definitely worth asking the question.

Comment

yeah they will, it's a technical error, they will give you a new instrument unit, or at least fix your odometer

Comment

Most excellent! Thanks a lot for your reply, it made my day.
          Nice mod work on the Kat by the way, was just checking out your site. Keep going! You'll have an awesome ride one day!

Comment

I'm a Suzuki dealer mechanic, well I was, and I know that Suzuki has to replace that.

Comment

I've seen several people get told by Suzuki USA that the part has reached the end of it's life-expectancy and that they wouldn't replace it (including one Californian here on KR who hit 100k miles in four years).

My advice: get a replacement used one off eBay and swap.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've seen it happen both ways, sometimes Suzuki USA won't replace it, sometimes they will. If Suzuki USA says they won't replace it, I totally agree with CP, get a replacement cluter on eBay and swap them.

Comment

OK, as a newbie, and a next question....How would I go about this properly. I did go to the Suzuki dealer/rep in my town here, and they are the ones that said I needed a speed sensor, so I don't think running that avenue would be viable. Should I contact Suzuki Canada direct somehow? I live in British Columbia by the way. Just did an awesome road trip through Montana, Idaho, Washington. Very spectacular. Not enough time to head further east or south unfortunately.
                  Thanks for the advice from both of you so far. Appreciated!

Comment

yeah contact Suzuki headquarters, the dealer that told you you need a speed sensor is dead wrong.

Comment

The speed sensor is a part down by the front sprocket that actually transmits the speed sense to the CDI and the gauges -- if it were bad, your speedo wouldn't work at all. The odo simply "locks" at 99,999 -- and based on what you've said, it does that at 99,999 km for odometers set to kilometers (as verses to 99,999 miles for odometers that report mileage).

A replacement cluster is basically the entire dash panel (it's all one circuit board under the cover), and it has a single 20-pin connector in the back that connects it electrically. Holding it in are a few pop-snaps and a couple phillips head screws.

One nice thing about all this: you can upgrade to the dash with the clock integrated for generally the same price, so time for an upgrade

PS - US dealers get $360 - $420 (USD) for the dash assembly, new. On eBay, they generally go for under $75 from individuals when they pop up, or about $150 used from places that strip bikes professionally (here's an example '02 set with 9059 miles on it for $150). Any year from 98 through 06 should work, with '00 and later having the clock included. One word of caution: if you have vehicle inspections, you may need one that reads in KM. Otherwise, you can take the one that reports in miles, since KM is still shown around the inside of the speedo circle for your "current speed".

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just a quick thanks to all of your comments and advice. I contacted Suzuki Canada and just got a mail back today that they will replace the unit with brand new as a good will gesture, installation is my responsibility/cost. So, it does pay to be nice and simply ask the question!
                        Thanks again everyone!
                        B

Comment

told you people they'd replace it

Comment

Do me a favor, and send me the old one once you get the new one installed. I'll pay the shipping gladly. I just ordered some specialty software out of the UK that *may* let me reset the odo's on the 98+ Kats (supposedly works on some of the other similar models, like the bandit 600 -- so I need a test unit to tinker with it on).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X