Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Your begining lessons AND To jet or not to jet..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your begining lessons AND To jet or not to jet..

First. I searched and found no definitive answer to what I wanted to know..

Secondly, other than trial and error (which normally ends with said error upon my poor bike), how did the lot of you motorcycle afficianadoes first learn to work confidently on your bikes engine. Because after browsing this forum index for the past 6 months, I realize I have alot to learn, including why a "jet kit" can aid in better preformance. This is all new to me as I have never worked on cars b4 either. I am saying this, becasue compared to most of you, I am cluless when it comes to the basics of engine work, although enthusiastic about learning. I have recently picked up a "mechanics for dummies" and hope it will give me more of an insight on what I plan on getting into.

And finally to the main question... In FL, should I get a jet kit or not. I have had my eyes on Ivans stage 1, but latley some local mechanics say not to. Apparently, I will have to constantly adjust the carbs afterwards. I know lots of you guys have your bikes jetted down here in FL, and wanted to know what you thought.

Any suggestions on either topic would be great.
    Thanks KR!

I'm not in FL, but generally from the factory bikes are tuned very lean.

The jetkit allows you to get a little more power out of the bike for a low cost.

I'd also suggest that you look into the holeshot stage one kit as well...

-Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Congratulations on your efforts to learn about your bike. Early on you should by a Suzuki Service manual.
      The "need" to jet also depends on the modifications your bike has. As "steves" pointed out modern carb bikes are jetted lean from the factory and usually respond well to jet kits. 3 brands come to mind as consistently better than others, Factory Pro, Ivan's and Holeshot.

Comment

Um, whatever "mechanics" you are talking to, don't listen to them anymore. If they say you will have to be constantly "adjusting" your carbs if you get a jet kit, then that would mean you would still have to be constantly adjusting them even if you don't have one...what they said makes no sense at all.

I'm in florida, along with many other kat riders, and have no problems running a jet kit. Ivan's worked really well for me, I have tired the dyno kit, and it gave me problems, others have said that the factory pro kit is good as well. Dales kit for the katana doesn't come will needles, so although I'm sure it's a great kit, I don't know if it has as much potential as Ivan's of the factory pro.
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I run a factory jet kit and it works great for me.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
            Um, whatever "mechanics" you are talking to, don't listen to them anymore. If they say you will have to be constantly "adjusting" your carbs if you get a jet kit, then that would mean you would still have to be constantly adjusting them even if you don't have one...what they said makes no sense at all.

I'm in florida, along with many other kat riders, and have no problems running a jet kit. Ivan's worked really well for me, I have tired the dyno kit, and it gave me problems, others have said that the factory pro kit is good as well. Dales kit for the katana doesn't come will needles, so although I'm sure it's a great kit, I don't know if it has as much potential as Ivan's of the factory pro.
            Dale said he didn't need needles to get a decent result.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

when i first started learning about bikes i was constantly trying to remember parts names and where it went on the bike and why it was there..... i found the simplest way to learn, is by having a simple basic knowledge as to how your bike works, and how each part of the bike is there to do something and how it does it....... if you look at a bike the first time you kinda think whooaw where do i start whats this and that should that be there??

but when you examine it its really just a heap of cogs and wires and is really basic as far as technology goes.... basically upon turning the key and turning her over, the starter motor gets the crank turning wich pulls the pistons down, this causes a vacum through the carbs wich in turn sucks in the air and petrol, as the crank is on its way back up it closes the valves so it all cant escape.... at the same time the spark plug is about to spark causing the whole lot to explode forcing the pistons down and opening the exhaust valve to let it all out beginning the process again ... or something like that.... then get to look at gears etc basically just a set of cogs and a selector wich are kind of the same principle as a push bike bigger cog up top of gears whereas the 1st gear wil be smaller to give more force when taking off etc...... they really are basic and once you start to understand a little better you will see what i mean i think if you read a little on your engine to get the understanding of whats going on will be enough for you to start some work, its at this point you will learn a lot, the hands on aproach has endless amounts of information for you to absorb .......... and im going now cos im just waffling on and youve probably stopped reading a long time ago
              i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Um, whatever "mechanics" you are talking to, don't listen to them anymore.....I'm in florida, along with many other kat riders, and have no problems running a jet kit."
                Good, cause I didn't want to believe them anyways. I'm going to read up and buy a kit, and well, give it a try. I can't ruin my bike, right? Actually I probably could, but the service manual is coming and hopfully it will help some, along with Cybers How to Jet page.

Originally posted by bigbike-r
                .......... and im going now cos im just waffling on and youve probably stopped reading a long time ago
                On the contrary, bro! Thats what I like to hear! How people learned and how they interpreted it! I'm sure I'm not the only mechanical newbie here, although it does seem so.. , but that type of simplified generality can be helpful to us all! It made sense too.

More? anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by steves

Dale said he didn't need needles to get a decent result.
                  I'm not doubting Dale at ALL, don't get me wrong, the man is a freakin genius when it comes to the oil cooled zuki motors. He thoroughly tests ALL his products on his dyno in house, and road tests them as well. He has by far the best customer service that I've ever had to deal with.

His kit uses the K&N filter, which may or may not have a role in why he uses stock needles, I'm not sure. But I can guarantee you that if you buy anything from him you wont be let down.

If you need help with tuning his kit, you can call him up and he will tell you exactly what you need to do to get your bike running 100%.

The only downside is that his kit is kind of pricey compared to the others...
                  Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                  18v Rigid Drill
                  Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                  New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Dale? Does he own Holeshot or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Gkannon77
                      Dale? Does he own Holeshot or something?
                      Yes .

Good book to help you undertsand a bit more about how stuff works .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I use Ivan's and I'm in Tampa, and I'm 100% satisfied. I've tried other kits on the 98+ Kats previously, and Ivan's kit stands head and shoulders above the others I've tried.

If you can bring yourself to ride over to Tampa the next time we have a mechanics day here, you can learn to many things yourself with knowledgible people standing over your shoulder telling you what to do step-by-step. We can install the Ivan's in about 15 minutes (once the fairings are off), and then sync the carbs up right away.

As for the who-what-why of jet kits, here's the most straight forward answer I can offer (in part repeating what steves said):
                        (A) Your manufacturer (Suzuki) has to meet specific EPA requirements to be permitted to import the motorcycle into the USA. To do this, they have to set the jetting very lean (approximately 14.7:1 air:fuel-vapor ratio, normally written as Fuel-Air ratio). This particular ratio is very good for maximizing gas mileage and getting complete burns of all the hydrocarbons in "idealized" fuels.
                        (B) On the other hand, all of the jetkits out there target a fuel-air ratio of 13.2:1 as their ideal, because this ratio produces the highest amount of power (torque) possible from any gasoline engine (using the same "idealized gasoline" as a basis). Running the higher amount of fuel per air increases the responsiveness of the throttle and the acceleration of the bike, but returns lower gas mileage and does create more pollution.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It does. And I'm going to check my local book store for the book by Zimmerman. Thanks CP, i apreciate you sharing your 2 cents

Comment

I just have years of experience working on cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles and just about anything else with an engine. I also took classes in high school, got Honda (cars) certified and worked a ta dealership. For the most part, I'm self taught. They aren't too scary once you get past the wiring. I find the most difficult thing is what troubles most people and thats usually "getting to that damn bolt wedged between the engine and frame" or rusted bolts. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
                            Who brought the retarded kid?

Comment

Any mechanical No-No's as far as working on the Katana, as apposed to other bikes. Things that you may of, "learned the hard way" that you want to share?
                              A simple example for me was when I was doing some cosmetic work, I forgot to re-attatch the key unlock mechanism before putting my seat back on. So I had to drill through my undertail to get to the switch. That sucked, but I definatley won't forget that again!

Comment

Working...
                              X